Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Tried to Jump Ship

TAB.HUNTER

Got bit by the Tech Bug again. I wanted to get a White's VX3. However, I needed a light, large coil. No problem, I thought. I'll just get an old "Bigfoot" off of EBay. Now I'm reading in other forums that they are going for $400.00-$650.00 !!!:surrender: Seriously? I cannot live without my 3"X18" ground sweeper coil. It's perfect for covering large areas in this Nevada hard pack soil. Sure, my Outlaw doesn't have the bells & whistles that the VX3 has but I can get the job done with any one of the fantastic and logical coil selections that Tesoro offers. Reality bites. I read about people splitting hairs over an inch or so in depth, sound, and yadda, yadda, BUT, there is a bigger picture here. Coil selection is very important. I've always been a fan of White's but they aren't getting my business in this case because they don't provide the coil I need for my style of hunting. Hell, for $500.00 I can buy a used Lobo for gold and relic shooting! Now I have an excuse to buy another Tesoro!:clapping:

That 3 x 18 clean sweep gets a fair amount of use on my Tejon. If First Texas offered a similar coil for the F75, I'd have to think hard about keeping the Tejon and Cibola. They don't; so keeping the Tejon and Cibola is a no brainer. None of the other after market coil manufacturers have a similar coil available that I've seen. Certainly gives Tesoro an advantage in coil availability. Kind of hard to beat the coil line up of 5.75 incher, standard coil and cleansweep to pretty well cover the bases.
tvr

I'm the type guy who will switch lures even though the fish are hitting the lure that I'm using as soon as it hits the water. Maybe there's a lure in my tackle box that the fish won't hit or one that will make them jump out the water to take it. I just got to know. I sure would like to get my hands on a 4 pin Clean Sweep Coil for my Vaquero. :)

I had a Clean Sweep coil that used on my 5 pin Tesoro detectors, but it wasn't quite deep enough for those tall thick turf sport fields that I like to detect.

tabman

I'm heavily a Tesoro fan and user although Whites is my second choice. I agree with you on coil selection and would like to mention that in my experience there's a fun factor, for me at least, in the simplicity and especially the lack of weight in the Tesoro choices. Worth mentioning as well, that in spite of all the possible bells and whistles on some machines, the bottom line is all any of them really do is alert the user to the fact that there is metal under the coil. After that, retrieving is the only absolutely sure way to know what it is. My two bits.
BB

Yes I agree with ya'll coil selection I think is important and Tesoro back in the day hit a "homerun" when they introduced the lightweight micro-max design!

I might have a Lobo ST I might be willing to let go if you're interested. Just send me a PM.

I saw that a couple weeks ago and thought, they have to be crazy to think they can get those prices for a Big Foot coil..........but, then again...........they just might....ebay is a strange place these days.

Dertnc said:
I might have a Lobo ST I might be willing to let go if you're interested. Just send me a PM.

I sold my Lobo last year. I was hoping Tesoro was going to come out with something new like a multi-frequency detector or a micro-max housed Lobo. I think at this point in time, I'll sit and wait. I really liked the Lobo. It had incredible discrimination. I used a 3"X18" on it too. It's great for 1800's horse race tracks. All I do is set the mode at "all metal" and my brain in " Daydream mode", and I can cover 5 square miles in no time! Okay, I exaggerated a bit. Since the soil is so hard packed, nothing was more than 2" underground. This is the ideal condition for the 3"X18".
I haven't really gotten out to prospect, so I sold the Lobo. For now, the Outlaw does everything I need it to do.

BarberBill said:
Worth mentioning as well, that in spite of all the possible bells and whistles on some machines, the bottom line is all any of them really do is alert the user to the fact that there is metal under the coil.
BB
The bells & whistles do way more than just alert you to something under the coil.......

oneguy said:
BarberBill said:
Worth mentioning as well, that in spite of all the possible bells and whistles on some machines, the bottom line is all any of them really do is alert the user to the fact that there is metal under the coil.
BB
The bells & whistles do way more than just alert you to something under the coil.......

yup.

oneguy said:
BarberBill said:
BB

Yeah you're right they confuse you :rofl:

metalfun said:
oneguy said:
BarberBill said:
BB

They can. Instead of griping I got another brand and love the features. I won't depart from my Compadre, however.

metalfun said:
oneguy said:
BarberBill said:
BB

It's still probability. When those bells & whistles can definitively discern gold from lead & pull tabs, or fifty cent pieces from rusted can lids, they'll have my attention. Until then, I'll use common sense.

I stand on what I posted above. Actually, I have several detectors with bells and whistles and while they are useful, they're certainly NOT crictical for retrieving targets, IMHO.
BB

Save your Money....... as The Big foot coil don't work very good on The VX3 ...... as it don't like The Higher frequency on the VX3 / V3i.

For park / TOT lot / Sports field hunting, the outlaw with the large widescan coil will do the job just fine.

BarberBill said:
I stand on what I posted above. Actually, I have several detectors with bells and whistles and while they are useful, they're certainly NOT crictical for retrieving targets, IMHO.
BB
AGREED!:thumbup:

Rob in (Ca) said:
Save your Money....... as The Big foot coil don't work very good on The VX3 ...... as it don't like The Higher frequency on the VX3 / V3i.

For park / TOT lot / Sports field hunting, the outlaw with the large widescan coil will do the job just fine.

Rob is right, the 12X10" DD Outlaw coil can cover some ground, I used this coil in my field test of the Outlaw. I was hunting a large acreage that some mini balls had come from in previous hunts, I didn't find anymore mini;s but I found some black powder pistol and .44 cal rifle bullets. It goes pretty deep too in auto-tuned all-metal and then flip the mode switch to Disc. set at Minimum to verify the signal. It would be a great relic hunting coil because it loves chunky iron whereas the 8" concentric hates big iron.

TAB.HUNTER said:
metalfun said:
oneguy said:
BarberBill said:
BB

It's still probability. When those bells & whistles can definitively discern gold from lead & pull tabs, or fifty cent pieces from rusted can lids, they'll have my attention. Until then, I'll use common sense.

:thumbup: X2

BarberBill said:
BB
I agree with your 2nd statement above, especially "NOT critical for retrieving targets", but your original post was a little mis-guiding and with all the new people reading these forums I felt it should be noted as such. There's a wealth of info from bells and whistles that can help you allocate your time better by being a little more selective as what you dig......once you learn how to use that info.
Wasn't trying to start a pissin match....

oneguy - wasn't meant to be misleading and I'm not into pissing matches either, so no sweat. I do think there's a good argument for all detectorists to start out with and learn with a beep and dig machine, then add one with bells and whistles, if desired, after learnning to respond to the audible nuances first. I've retrieved a goody now and then from signals that really didn't sound right for a good target and different from what I'd expect for trash, plus a doubtful TID reading, but they turned out to be good in spite of all that. So I tend to retrieve any target that sounds different than I'd expect. Of course many turned out to be nothing special as well.

BB