Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

"Trifecta"- had a good day of treasure hunting:detecting::O

Bill Ladd

I met up with my buddy Ted who I hadn't hunted with in a while. The plan was to hit some bottle dumps I had located recently while detecting. The dump I choose first only because it was closest to his house paid off.....though all the rains we had made the dump a muddy mess when you dug down over a foot, I was able to pull out this very nice CARTERS master ink bottle from the muck somehow. It's a 3 part mold & a killer green color. I'll post another picture after it's done cleaning......
[attachment 144491 TrifectaInk1sm.jpg]
I had 2 more dumps lined up, but Ted suggested detecting & trying that same cornfield again that I shot the first F75 LTD video at. So, we took a lunch break and headed to the farm. Mainly it had been producing only buttons, but that was about to change....
Walking across the field, the first thing I saw was right on top. I knew right then I had the oldest find of the day by far....the rains had exposed an awesome Indian arrowhead that had been plowed up. Some of these go back to 10,000 yrs old :yikes:
[attachment 144498 Trifectapoint1sm.jpg]
So after the bottle & now an arrowhead, Ted said "You just need a coin to complete the trifecta".....
That was a great thought, but this farm had been wacked hard by us already, & most of the coins were dug already & all's we'd been finding in the last few times here were flat buttons......
I fired up the F75 LTD & skipped around finding a couple flat cuff buttons. I was running my usual "hot" settings of high 90's sens, & BP & 0 disc. There was lots of chatter, but on a hard worked colonial site you have to push the envelope. Plus, with those settings I can shorten the rod & keep the coil above the cut stalks & still get deep. I switched to 2F tones after awhile, & that made it alot less of a headache & I noticed a good target sing right out in it's higher pitch.....
Ted said he had to leave, so we decided to take our time & work our way back to the farm house. In mid-field I got a solid high tone that read & locked in at 79 from every angle. I knew this was either a beer can or the "trifecta" Ted mentioned. I called him over & he checked the signal with his ID-Edge. He figured coin too, so I dug a big plug.....
The mud broke open & this is what I saw. A sight for sore eyes:super:[attachment 144492 Trifectaclump1.jpg]
Ted snapped this picture with his I-phone holding up the plug revealing a large cent dated 1827. Trifecta complete:detecting:The last one the LTD got at that cellar hole was 1828.....(maybe the next will be 1826?).
Now Ted was determined to get a coin & said he was going to stay now :) The sun was setting but he was determined.....so I scanned some more. Not as meticulous as usual as I wanted him to bag a coin. I tried a corner I had never had much luck in & got another 79 solid signal. I told Ted, I was sorry, but I think it's another large cent being the same number ID. He came over and I dug another big plug. This time in the dug dirt we saw another round, big penny sized disc....just like I thought, large cent. I let Ted bend down & he called out, "Silver!". I grabbed it & brushed off a Spanish 2 Reales dated 1800. [attachment 144495 TrifectaReal2sm.jpg]
The plows had put a couple scratches in it over the years, but I wasn't gonna throw it back :) These are hard to come by....probably about my 5th maybe. They were the equivalent of 30 copper coins I believe....so losing one of these was a major loss in those days.
[attachment 144493 Trifecta1sm.jpg]
I just had one of those days where every place I dug I could do no wrong. I felt bad for Ted, but last time we went he got 2 silver coins, so I reminded him of that......;)
It was a fun day I'll remember for awhile.....
Thanks for looking,
Bill
PS. Ted just e-mailed me a picture.
He WAS determined to get a coin & left work early to try the same farm again.......well....all's I can say is I no longer feel bad for him :)
[attachment 144501 TedHalfdime.jpg]
1829 Half dime

Nice finds Bill. The pictures do provide some inspiration. Thanks for posting them.