Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Trinkets, Trash & a Few Treasures (Mega Pic Heavy)

William-NM

Y'all have likely been thinking "Man, that William-NM is one lazy old son of a gun". That's only mostly true; I did have a nice break (the only way I could get myself to knock out the web design project for the client (a lawyer) was to lock myself in the hut until it was completed). Done, client happy. Then, I was just feeling kinda kicked back, though I did build some rustic display shelving (I'll post once I finish the lighting), buffed out the hut and car and did a bunch of other little projects that it felt good to finally get around to. I have gotten a few hunts in, though - a couple of ghost towners, a bike trek that turned very soggy, and a couple of in towners.

I think I have a contender for the dinkiest silver ring: a size 2 - won't even begin to go on my pinkie. It has greenish stone, maybe Malachite.
6hla.jpg

Moving right along, I was up in the ghost zone the other day, checking out a new area. I didn't feel like I found much, but when I got home and cleaned up the Iron spoon (thick layer of rust), I found that it had a pouring notch and had traces of copper and perhaps gold on it. I suspect that it was used to pour lead bullets, too, so I actually think that it was a pretty cool find. Just maybe 10 yards from it, near a dry (intermittent) creek, I found an 8# cannon ball. Pictured with it is the little brass and iron canon that I found in town.
9my3.jpg
rk81.jpg
xcuc.jpg

Here's the ghostly hacienda and the creek where the cannon ball turned up, and the latest of the outhouses (I ID'd at least four previous privy sites):
1sox.jpg
dd7c.jpg
lcvd.jpg

and one of the locals who stopped by for a chat. I could tell it was a guy, because when I mentioned that he should take a hard left if he was migrating to Mexico, he replied "I don't need no stinking directions, gringo!". Well!
99p2.jpg

My other favorite recent find was this old railroad padlock. The chain would have been about a foot long originally, someone has snipped it, maybe a heist!? It is stamped AT&SF for Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Line.
d0z1.JPG
aewo.jpg

I made one attempted bike trek on one of the old wagon roads between here and Fort Bayard. They were used by a sawmill north of the fort for hauling wood and supplies - I've mentioned the hardships & numerous Indian attacks that finally forced the closure of the sawmill. I'm hoping for an old coin or ?? . Unfortunately, the bright sunny day turned into torrential downpours rather quickly, and I had failed to put a shell in the pack (since remedied!), so I was reduced to listlessly standing in the brush with a bovine expresion on my face for half an hour or so. I did get a little hunting in, but will take another crack at it and get further in next time.
fosn.jpg
zxq.JPG

Dug a few bottles, the Coke's are "Hecho en Mexico", found them up in ghost country. The tokens and lead seals came from the same area (the president one is James Buchanan). Third photo is the diamond studded collar of some upscale pooch and little Fifi the poodle.
kifn.jpg
lmwh.jpg
u0qc.jpg

I like this tooled metalwork (it's a white metal, no rust, haven't tested it for silver yet??) I dug it out from the roots of a willow along the creek here in town.
5hz.JPG
0n82.jpg

Found another old Indian grinding stone, a few of my beloved marbles :happy:, and a few copper, iron, and lead specimens and spills (and a ton of scrap brass & copper).
lv75.jpg
xcfe.jpg
ejkv.jpg

I did some poking around along the creek - the first shot is from the top of the CCC built stone wall (about 20' above the creek). I found this old iron lamp post part, I believe it's from one of the 5 globe lamp posts that were used in town as seen in the 1920 photo.
3xm8.jpg
5msx.jpg
lxhr.jpg

I dug a few religious medallions and the brass frame from a medal or ??. The sterling one is the nicest one that I've found and close to 1/4 oz with 20 little Hematite stones. Next is a few keys and clock bits, and a few costume jewelry pieces along with "Big Daddy's" wayfarers.
kim3.jpg
htzd.JPG
y4n3.jpg

Here are a few toys - steering wheel for a peddle car, a "record" from a pull-string toy, etc., then some brass and tools - fancy hinge, ratchet that I took apart and fixed, with a large chunk of what I'm guessing was a switchboard at the back, and a shot of some insulators.
v893.jpg
5pj2.jpg
kc41.jpg

One drizzly day along the creek, I found a freeloader on my AT ! 2). A few iron finds including another miner's carbide lantern reflector. 3). Even more iron. If horseshoes really are good luck, then I'm all set for life (must have about 100 now, and over 30 Axe heads :crazy: )
jipl.jpg
qz5d.jpg
z8ao.jpg

Santa's Brass buckle and cosmetics & razors. Tiny Avon lipstick, cap for "Gay Romance" perfume (?), More cosmetics and buttons & beads.
llrl.jpg
u410.jpg

Found a few military items- a number of dated Indian wars cartridges (most 1882), some Henry rifle carts, a couple of pieces of army silverware, and a river worn navy button. Also found my third heavy (1/2 pound) Copper mold - not sure what these were for, but I'm voting for Flan (the wonderful Mexican custard desert) !! :drool:
9qi0.jpg

OK, that's it for now. It's great digging weather for now - 60's, my favorite biking weather, so I hope to take another run at the old wagon roads soon. Hope you all had a fun and safe Halloween & best of luck in the hunt to all!
William

Lots of great digging you have had. Wonderful assortment of finds.:thumbup: And I am beginning to think you live in Gods country. Next trip out to Az, I am going to make it a point to stop in your state. HH jim tn

Outstanding! :surprised: Magnificent! :clapping:

Great post that gave us all a wonderful insight into your life and the history, hardship, and happiness of your hunting territory! I wonder how that fancy dog collar got up there? Some coyote or eagle did a raid in the city and packed poor old Fifi off? You sir, are one heck of a documentarian and hunter!
Mud

Thanks, Guys!
Jim - There's always a place to flop if you're in the area, and lots of sites that want hunting!
Mud - Thanks for the kind words - same goes for you!

Absolutely fantastic! Love the silver, especially the cross and the tooled metalwork thing. You are the epitome of "one does need to live in the northeast to dig history".

aj

And your arms haven't fallen off?? Good grief man, that's a ton of swinging and digging represented there!! Excellent finds, always look forward to your posts and adventures. Give Tigger a pet and chin scratch from the Big Cat!!

n/t

Thanks for all the nice feedback!

AJ: Yep, I was reading a random tourist brochure the other day, and learned the location of the biggest brothel in town - the 'madam' had satellite locations in several nearby towns, too. Happily, it's on public property nowdays, so it's on the short list. I do envy you the beautiful old coins, though!

BCD, will do - give your lap-warmers a scratch, too.

John, I'm a little envious when I see you swinging that ATX - hoping for a windfall or maybe a fat nugget so I can snag one!

William, I REALLY Enjoyed viewing that Post!! Fantastic FINDS (especially the 8lb. Cannonball & Railroad Lock) & PICTURES!! Keep It UP, Les Robinson.

That good and varied findings, and as always presented like a catalog of an auction.
I love the old spoon melt and cannonball ... this are very good pieces but not for the caliber with toy cannon:rofl:.
The grinding stone, wonderful:surprised: , here is exceptional, deserves a place of honor in the collection, from my point of view clear ... It