Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Trouble with my apex

Cnrdan

Bought an apex and first time out found that it was quite noisy was falsing a lot. Moving the cable going into the coil would make it false. I returned it and was sent a new one. Cable at coil is fine but this one falses it i move cable close to control box. Wondering if anyone else has any issues like this. Tried turning sensitivity right down with no change. Not close to any power lines above or below ground

l'm sure your winding the cabal around the shaft tightly, but if not that might be the problem.

Have you reset the unit? Turn the unit on. Wait a few seconds, then hold the on/off button for several seconds until it beeps. That quite often fixes the unit. Every time you switch coils, you should do a reset. You didn't mention in your post where you turned it on. If in the house or backyard, you might get a lot of interference from TV, electricity, lights etc. Even some parks will have a lot of electronic interference. If these two situations pertain to you, you still have the options of changing frequencies and adjusting the sensitivity. The sensitivity is not a depth control. Having the sensitivity too high can actually make you miss a target in mineralized soil. Changing the frequencies can also minimize interference. Good luck!

https://garrett.com/sites/default/files/pdf/2020-09/ACE_Apex_FAQs.pdf

Have you reset the unit? Turn the unit on. Wait a few seconds, then hold the on/off button for several seconds until it beeps. That quite often fixes the unit. Every time you switch coils, you should do a reset. You didn't mention in your post where you turned it on. If in the house or backyard, you might get a lot of interference from TV, electricity, lights etc. Even some parks will have a lot of electronic interference. If these two situations pertain to you, you still have the options of changing frequencies and adjusting the sensitivity. The sensitivity is not a depth control. Having the sensitivity too high can actually make you miss a target in mineralized soil. Changing the frequencies can also minimize interference. Good luck!

https://garrett.com/sites/default/files/pdf/2020-09/ACE_Apex_FAQs.pdf
Was in my yard and i live in the country. Not a software issue. It happens when i physically move the cable gently side to side or when i hold it up in the air and twist wrist back and forth. The cable is fastened tightly to control housing. Like there is a problem with the cable.

I would unscrew the knurled nut that connects the coil cable to the detector housing. Measure the length of the threaded portion of the connector that gets exposed. It should measure almost 1/4" long, with the ruler end up against the nut that remains. If it's less than 3/16", the knurled nut tightens onto the threads without holding the coil connector parts securely together. My new Apex had this issued, and acted in a similar manner. You could wiggle the cable portion slightly in the mating part on the control housing, even though the knurled nut was tightened against the hex nut.

If it's not that, then there might still be a connector issue on the coil's cable or the detector Circuit board.

If yours has either of these issues, Garrett will have to fix it. Garrett sent another new replacement machine to me in two days. Hope this helps.

Yes, I was experiencing what I thought was excessive falsing and I am able to duplicate this trouble exactly as described.

I reset my APEX per John's suggestion and checked the coil cable connection. The viper coil connector is fully inserted into the connector housing and the locking ring snugged up. With the coil away from all metallic objects, I can wiggle the coil cable wire at the base of the connector and get a nearly 100% audio/VDI response from the detector in the mid-80's. It would appear there is a simple cable/connector issue.

I've contacted Garrett expressing my concern and asking for suggestions. The appearance to me is the issue i am experiencing is with the coil cable / connector and not the detector itself. I imagine the good folks at Garrett will respond in the next day or so.

Rich -

Garrett customer service replied back quickly and sent me an RMA and a shipping label. I'm looking forward to getting it back.

Rich -

My coil had rapid noises up and down the I.D. range. Had a new coil in three days. Now works great. Sent old coil back.