Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Troy Metal Detectors Shadow X5

moreb

Anybody out there that knows how to reach Troy Galloway or who might be able to repair a X5 that has got wet?

Thanks,
Keith Daleen

Contact Fisher. They made the machines for Troy and repair the Shadow X3 and X3. Last I heard they do repairs if they have the parts. If you are not the original owner they do charge. But I don't think they will repair a water damaged machine, even for the original owner at no cost.

These detectors are pretty rugged and often take a lot of abuse. If this happened very recently you might take the battery out, the back off and let it dry out ( in front of a fan wouldn't hurt).
My son dropped a Tesoro Cutlass in water once and once opened and dryed over night it worked fine. Oh, if it got in salt water rinse it out with fresh water ASAP!

I'd trust is Keith Wills at East Texas Metal Detectors, in Gilmer, Texas.:thumbup:

Thanks for the replies. I took it apart last night and about 1 table spoon of creek water came out. However in the process I pulled the wires off of the sensitivity pot trying to unscrew the nut. I'm now looking for a picture or schematic that shows where the 5 wires solder onto the switch.

Anyone out there have such a thing?

Thanks
Keith

Hi Keith, Ive never had any dealings with Fisher ,though I bought my X5 new. I suggest you take Bleaver's advice and contact them and tell them exactly what the situation is with the X5 and let them advise you how it needs to be addressed. So it may cost you some $ but the X5 is already a high $ investment and needs to be appreciated as such. Let them fix the wires and check it out stem to stern to make sure it is ship shape .It likely survived the water with no problems but I am sure Fisher has procedure for whatever is needed to set it right again. Just my thoughts on protecting that X5. It is a fine machine ! HH Charlie

Thanks for the advice Charlie. It's not the money, I just hate to send it in. The last time I sent a detector in was in 1991. My beloved Garrett Deepseeker ADS II. It was returned with a note that it was worn out and not worth repairing. I have had a couple detectors since 91. This X5 ranks right up there with that Garrett. I have a Sovereign GT that I really like, but the X5 is so light and dependable.

There is a fellow on this site, a Mr. Mel Parker who has converted a X5 to a water machine. You can visit his post by clicking here. Send him an email. That's the best info I could find for you.

I spoke to troy galloway last season and he said he still repairs them,here is the number i reached him at (972) 690-5703..

This is the photo I copied from that X5 that was modified for water. The pot at the top right hand side is the sensitivity pot. It may give you the info you need to reattach the wires.

From what I remember those with serial number under 200 were the early one and some felt they would chatter too much as they were very sensitive and Troy would do a mod on them. Those after 200 did have the new mods in them when released. Some liked the older ones before the 200 as they were more sensitive and seem to go deeper. I had number 088 and used it before and after and liked it better after he did the upgrade, but then I knew the X5 better and did well with it and should have kept it, it was a great detector and Troy Galloway was great with tips and didn't want to released the X5 until it was perfect to him while we waited a while for its release. I remember when my speaker quit on mine and Troy was going to overnight his personal one to me so I didnt miss any detecting. I said I had other detectors so he didnt have to do that. I sent it to him and had it back in just a few day as it came back express so I had it overnight from when it was repaired.

Rick

Rick
Thanks for the information on the mod. Mine does chatter quite a bit. I will call fisher and see if they will mod it. I am the original owner and mine is #88.

Jack

OK that makes sense now as I was sure I had 88, but thought maybe I didnt remember correctly. I liked mine and when I went over a area a Explorer and my favorite Sovereign went over and picked up several deeper coins with the X 5 I was impressed with it. I had the X3 also and felt it was more for completion hunting coins that were not real deep and the X5 was for those that looking for deeper targets. I wish those were still being made.

Rick