Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Troy metal detectors .

Hank68

I remember the shadow x2 was my favorite beep and dig detectors ever , wonder has he is doing ? It would be awesome if the Troy line detectors would come back to life !!!

It would take a miracle for a come back still think the Troy x 5 was the best detector.Just saw one go for $699:)

It would take a miracle for a come back still think the Troy x 5 was the best detector.Just saw one go for $699:)
Lol don't surprise me a bit .

I remember the shadow x2 was my favorite beep and dig detectors ever , wonder has he is doing ? It would be awesome if the Troy line detectors would come back to life !!!
The best thing about the Shadow X2 was tat it was essentially a slightly modified Silver Sabre µMAX and we can't forget the thin-profile Super 7 Inch Concentric coil. I liked the change to the all-black housing and rod as used on many foreign Tesoro's, but mainly the Super 7" coil which I used on most of my Tesoro's until they introduced the thin-profile 6" Concentric coil. The bad thing was that in order to have the "Coin Check" pushbutton, they rearraigned some controls and put the manual Threshold control inside and adjusted with a dinky trimmer once the housing was open.

Another good thing was that it was otherwise error-free and functioned well, and was assembled by at at Tesoro. Of course the bad thing was that it rivaled Tesoro's same-same model so, with the cost to Troy Custom Detectors, it retailed for a lot more. The Shadow X5 was a little better in the way of depth-of-detection in most cases, but it came at a cost. That was it had multiple people involved in its engineering design, then the parts cost, then paying the old Fisher in Los Banos to do the assembly resulted in another product that was priced higher than needed for any competitive model. Additionally, the Shadow X5 had some tuning and adjustment glitches to include one feature control also adjusting a different feature setting, so a savvy user learned they had to mess around and make counter-adjustments quite often to maintain or establish performance.

I liked the feel and adjustment concept, and also some of the search coils, but not the all-purpose performance due to some design glitches. We'll never see any model resurrection unless it is by someone else who sees the potential, knows how to market a non-TID unit, and can build reliable units that are marked at a reasonable retail price.

The best thing about the Shadow X2 was tat it was essentially a slightly modified Silver Sabre µMAX and we can't forget the thin-profile Super 7 Inch Concentric coil. I liked the change to the all-black housing and rod as used on many foreign Tesoro's, but mainly the Super 7" coil which I used on most of my Tesoro's until they introduced the thin-profile 6" Concentric coil. The bad thing was that in order to have the "Coin Check" pushbutton, they rearraigned some controls and put the manual Threshold control inside and adjusted with a dinky trimmer once the housing was open.

Another good thing was that it was otherwise error-free and functioned well, and was assembled by at at Tesoro. Of course the bad thing was that it rivaled Tesoro's same-same model so, with the cost to Troy Custom Detectors, it retailed for a lot more. The Shadow X5 was a little better in the way of depth-of-detection in most cases, but it came at a cost. That was it had multiple people involved in its engineering design, then the parts cost, then paying the old Fisher in Los Banos to do the assembly resulted in another product that was priced higher than needed for any competitive model. Additionally, the Shadow X5 had some tuning and adjustment glitches to include one feature control also adjusting a different feature setting, so a savvy user learned they had to mess around and make counter-adjustments quite often to maintain or establish performance.

I liked the feel and adjustment concept, and also some of the search coils, but not the all-purpose performance due to some design glitches. We'll never see any model resurrection unless it is by someone else who sees the potential, knows how to market a non-TID unit, and can build reliable units that are marked at a reasonable retail price.
Thanks for your valued knowledge Monte, the X2 was my favorite beep and dig, it would be a miracle if it came back to life .

Thanks for your valued knowledge Monte, the X2 was my favorite beep and dig, it would be a miracle if it came back to life .
Note that one of my detectors is a Silver Sabre µMAX which is what the Shadow X2 was with mainly just a change to incorporate the Coin Check feature. Personally, I prefer the Threshold control of the microMAX. Maybe you ought to consider getting one of them?

Monte

Note that one of my detectors is a Silver Sabre µMAX which is what the Shadow X2 was with mainly just a change to incorporate the Coin Check feature. Personally, I prefer the Threshold control of the microMAX. Maybe you ought to consider getting one of them?

Monte
Thanks Monte , sounds like a good idea, yeah the coin check was a plus for me , and the slim 7" coil , found alot of coins and relics .

Yes the Troy Shadows were a great detector, I had all three of them the X2 the X3 and the X5 and to me the X2 was a good all around detector while the X3 was a good competition machine for the club hunts while the X-5 was my favorite of the Troy Shadows. They were not cheap for a non metered detector, but I know the X5 showed up some top of the line detectors for me. The one hunt was area was old coral area that my buddies worked hard with their different detector and told me not to bother with my detector as they got them all the coins that were in it. I made 2 passes up and back and had 2 barber dime and 3 merc and a IH penny. they had missed. Another case was a site were at and decided to get a few coin signals and we marked them and we tried to see what we got. the Explorer said it was possibly a deep penny while my friend thought it was a a iffy signal, but one he would possibly dig. I came with the X5 got a decent signal, but when went to coin check it was iffy and when dug was a old railroad button that had a copper or brass front with a iron back to it.
I had sold it and regretted it and bought one back with the 6 inch and 9 inch coil, but my health got bad and never used it and maybe next Saturday I am going to try it out in one of our club hunt if I can get up and down to dig, maybe take a while to do it, but going to have fun.

Rick

Yes the Troy Shadows were a great detector, I had all three of them the X2 the X3 and the X5 and to me the X2 was a good all around detector while the X3 was a good competition machine for the club hunts while the X-5 was my favorite of the Troy Shadows. They were not cheap for a non metered detector, but I know the X5 showed up some top of the line detectors for me. The one hunt was area was old coral area that my buddies worked hard with their different detector and told me not to bother with my detector as they got them all the coins that were in it. I made 2 passes up and back and had 2 barber dime and 3 merc and a IH penny. they had missed. Another case was a site were at and decided to get a few coin signals and we marked them and we tried to see what we got. the Explorer said it was possibly a deep penny while my friend thought it was a a iffy signal, but one he would possibly dig. I came with the X5 got a decent signal, but when went to coin check it was iffy and when dug was a old railroad button that had a copper or brass front with a iron back to it.
I had sold it and regretted it and bought one back with the 6 inch and 9 inch coil, but my health got bad and never used it and maybe next Saturday I am going to try it out in one of our club hunt if I can get up and down to dig, maybe take a while to do it, but going to have fun.

Rick
Yeah they were great I regret selling my x2, I remember one seeded hunt it was in a baseball field years ago, and hit a good sound and it was a water line going to the dugout lol 1999 hunt at Cullum Alabama, I was thinking I was jed clampet lol 😆 but I dug a token and won a garrett detector with it .

Yes the Troy Shadows were a great detector, I had all three of them the X2 the X3 and the X5 and to me the X2 was a good all around detector while the X3 was a good competition machine for the club hunts while the X-5 was my favorite of the Troy Shadows. They were not cheap for a non metered detector, but I know the X5 showed up some top of the line detectors for me. The one hunt was area was old coral area that my buddies worked hard with their different detector and told me not to bother with my detector as they got them all the coins that were in it. I made 2 passes up and back and had 2 barber dime and 3 merc and a IH penny. they had missed. Another case was a site were at and decided to get a few coin signals and we marked them, and we tried to see what we got. the Explorer said it was possibly a deep penny while my friend thought it was a a iffy signal, but one he would possibly dig. I came with the X5 got a decent signal, but when went to coin check it was iffy and when dug was a old railroad button that had a copper or brass front with a iron back to it.
I had sold it and regretted it and bought one back with the 6 inch and 9-inch coil, but my health got bad and never used it and maybe next Saturday I am going to try it out in one of our club hunts if I can get up and down to dig, maybe take a while to do it, but going to have fun.

Rick
They were indeed great detectors if you understood them.
I remember a hunt in Virginia where a good friend hunted one area and dug so many good targets that some others said was empty, they were shocked. I had the X5 and would put it up against any other detector out at that time. It had really good depth and target separation.
I actually did some of the testing on the DD coil for Troy on land and beach.
I lost contact with him several years ago. I still have it along with four of the coils. Nowadays though I no longer hunt.
Pap

Reactions: tvr

Rick
X5s were great on small gold. Found more earrings and charms with the X5 than any other detector.

Reactions: Pap