Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Troy Shadow X2

fematrailer

I am learning my Troy X2 and it is very different than my other detectors. Always wanted to know if I could trade it for a Vaquero if I chose to go with another machine? I loved my Vaquero.

Troy X2s are quite popular considering they're no longer being manufactured. There's probably a good chance to trade if you work on it.
BB

you MIGHT be able to trade it straight up for a new Vaquero. If not a new one, most definitely a used one with very little time on it!

Ok. I think I'll keep it and learn it but you never know

I would do just that as well! From talking to Rusty, it is a Silver Umax with a coin check button added. I wonder if someone could fashion a coin check button on the Silver Umax....

fltacoma said:
I would do just that as well! From talking to Rusty, it is a Silver Umax with a coin check button added. I wonder if someone could fashion a coin check button on the Silver Umax....

It can be done.

Assuming you want the check to come in just past tab range, you measure how many Ohms the disc pot is reading at that point, then use the same value in a fixed resistor, plus a toggle (or pushbutton), to bypass the disc pot when you switch to the fixed restance. Since they're not a rare "collectable" detector and the same as the Silver, I was thinking of modding my Cutlass II μMAX in just that way, and adding a 10 turn ground balance to boot. I believe those same mods were done by "Sven" on a Silver Sabre, giving it dual disc circuits, like a Tejon.

made from the Silver Sabre µMAX [size=small](microMAX)[/size] and not the Silver µMAX. The Silver µMAX was basically a progression of the Cutlass II µMAX with a name change. Although close there are some basic differences between them, like having the Threshold control and a Threshold-based All Metal function Pinpoint feature.

fltacoma said:
I wouldn't suggest doing a "Coin Check" modification to any Tesoro. For one thing it will effect any warranty. Secondly, it is kind of close to a useless addition. If you are only Coin Hunting typical high-traffic urban play places where Zinc cents seem to be in higher numbers, just live with it, or increase the Discrimination to just barely knock them out, ir better yet, move on to other sites that just might be more productive.

Third, keep in mind that not all those lower-conductivity readings are only modern Zinc cents. Most Indian Head cents and many of the early Wheat-Back cents from 1909 to about 1920 tend to also fall in that same lower conductivity range. If you want to be more selective on the coins you are likely to recover from a decent hit, then they are usually fairly shallow, like in the upper 4"-5", and you could use a model with a visual Target ID display to help sort them out.

Personally, and I have some of my all-time favorite Tesoro models in my personal arsenal, I only use Tesoro's minimum Disc. on the ED-120 models, and on my Nokta FORS series and Makro Racer series models, I have my Discrimination set to either just barely accept iron nails or just barely reject iron nails. Just barely in or out because too much rejection can cause good target masking from nearby trash, or simply reject targets that are, or would be, 'keepers.'

Monte

so I can disc either side of zinc if that can be done I am all ears so flick flick yep its a zinc? if you lived where I do that's a good thing to dig guess it would help you guys in the US not dig them :biggrin: oh dear another job on the list.

AJ

I lovey Troy super 7 coil which is what came on that detector. Very sought after coil. For a reason. It's as thin as the 5.75 but 7" wide. The Tesoro 7" was alot thicker.
I have mine that was rebuilt and had my deleon tuned to it. Great coil!!
I've never had the pleasure of using the Troy x2 though.

Heard great things about it. Congrats on the rare(r) detector!!!

I got the Troy from a lady whose husband hunted with it and he passed away. $140! I will try to learn the detector. I had a Cibola once and really want a Vaquero for the ground balance but in my area of Louisiana I don't need it. It's a lot different than my At-Pro.

fematrailer said:
I got the Troy from a lady whose husband hunted with it and he passed away. $140! I will try to learn the detector. I had a Cibola once and really want a Vaquero for the ground balance but in my area of Louisiana I don't need it. It's a lot different than my At-Pro.
Well that's a steal!!! I'm waiting to find a deal like that!!!

But my vaquero is an older one. It's a 20th anniversary edition. No difference from modern besides it says it on the serial number sticker lol.
But I got it for a good price and it's in perfect health.
Goes to show the longevity of ground balance model tesoros.

Edit to above post.
Mine's a 25th anniversary.
Sorry

Congrats on getting a good deal on the Vaquero. I just got really lucky. As soon as I saw it on Facebook for sale I snapped it up, the same as you did I reckon.

Yeah people said that my modded cibola is very close to the vaquero, but they're different. Both really nice though

You will love the troy x2 and the 7 inch coil also,can swing all day and not tire out your arm.Also you will love how it finds coins 10-12 inches deep . bury a quarter 12 inches deep and the x2 will hit it hard if your soil is mild.I find the troy just as deep as the vaquero unless the vaquero is supertuned.