Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Trying out my new Goldbug

Boydman

Traded my backup 705 for a gold bug last fri. Spent sun out hunting. I really like it a lot. Lite, east to use hit's deep targets. I pulled pulled three round balls, four buttons,Not eagles. And a handful of change. I can see using this machine a lot. I was running the disc. at 67 which cut out all trash but left the brass and lead and silver.Morelic said he's been running his at around 47,I will try that next time i get out. The 11 dd gets good depth,I wonder how much more depth I will gain by turning the disc. down? Glad to see there is a forum dedicated to this machine.

Pat --

You won't get much more depth by turning the disc. down, I've found, on this particular machine -- but you WILL get alot more depth (a couple to a few inches) by running it in all-metals mode. It's a pretty deep detector in disc. mode, but IMPRESSIVELY deep, in my opinion, in all-metals mode. While you don't have VDI readout in all-metals mode (the digital readout switches to continuous ground phase readout when in all-metals mode), you still have the TID information, in the arc along the top of the screen -- sort of the "speedometer" looking readout. If you need extra depth, that's one good way to get it...

Just FYI -- I'm sure you know this, but running at 40 disc is another good way to run it -- that way, you will hear ALL the iron, but it will all be with a low "grunt" tone; everything above the iron range (above 40) you will hear with the modulated VCO audio. Running at 40 lets you A) hear ALL the iron under your coil, and B) have everything from small gold on up sound off in modulated VCO audio...

Glad you seem to like the machine as well as many of us on here do :)

Steve

sgoss66 said:
Pat --

While you don't have VDI readout in all-metals mode (the digital readout switches to continuous ground phase readout when in all-metals mode), you still have the TID information, in the arc along the top of the screen -- sort of the "speedometer" looking readout.

Steve

Just curious, I can only get 4 1/2" - 5" on the TID information on a dime (in ground) when in AM mode and 5" coil, while in Disc. mode I can get 7" TID on the same coin. Is this normal?

Yes Pat there is a relic Santa, And yes the 11 inch DD is nice try the 5 inch for fine tuning around the iron and trash place in the parks. You learn this detector fairly quickly but it will surprise you too. Welcome abroad

ron_c said:
Just curious, I can only get 4 1/2" - 5" on the TID information on a dime (in ground) when in AM mode and 5" coil, while in Disc. mode I can get 7" TID on the same coin. Is this normal?

How did you ground balance the detector ?

Hey Ron_c --

I'm not sure about that, as I haven't hunted much at all in all-metals mode yet (though I will when I am gold prospecting this summer). Please tell me about your soil type; in the mean time, I'll try to remember while out hunting to try it out today -- when I hit a coin in the ground, that is a deeper one, I'll switch over to all-metals, and see what I get. Overall, my VDI information when using this machine has been outstanding -- even at depth. I'll try to remember to check it in all-metals...

Steve

Steve is right check out the target in all metal.

I checked with a friend that also has a G2 that lives 15 miles me from and we have the same type soil and his also does this, it gets better Target ID in Disc. Mode than in AM mode. His gets the same as mine about 5" with the 5" coil in air or in ground test on a dime in AM and 7" on a dime in Disc. mode. He also has an Omega and it does the same, less Target ID in AM than in Disc.

Ground Phase numbers for my soil here in Texas with the 5" coil is 46 to 52 and with the 11" coil it's 52 to 58.

Gain Max

for the different sites you hunt as time goes by.

Some folks like to increase it enough to reject most ferrous targets, respond with a low-tone on lower conductive non-ferrous targets and provide a high-tone VCO audio on the higher conductivity targets. I really like the wide range of adjustment the Gold Bug Pro/G2 provide us.

Sometimes, where there is very little iron junk, I just leave mine set at '0' and refer to the VDI response. If my only encounter with junk is just a batch of iron nails that fall in a particular tight range, I only reject the higher VDI reading + 1 number, and that lets the nails and less annoying iron give the lower-tone and everything else a high-tone VCO audio response. However, my typical approach is to simply set the Disc. level at '40' and rely only on the more typical ferrous/non-ferrous tone break.

I also run my Sensitivity as high as possible for the site (usually it's at 100) and then make sure I GB the unit. The G2 isn't my only detector and I usually use it with the 5" coil I keep mounted because it is my go-to unit for most trashier or lumpy, uneven sites. Also, I usually hunt in the Discriminate mode and am satisfied with the performance I get in most conditions. there are times, however, when I opt to adjust for a proper slight-audio Threshold, GB, then search in the All Metal mode. I don't use the All Metal mode in dense target sites. Only in more open areas with more distance between targets, and I do enjoy better depth of detection in All Metal.

With the digital design of these and many/most modern digital detectors, you usually don't lose much with an increase of Discrimination, not gain much when it is lowered. The Sensitivity control is where you'll be able to add or deduct any depth performance.

Enjoy your new detector and report in about your encounters and success afield!

Monte

Thanks for all the input. Look forward to posting some good stuff soon.