Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Trying to understand hunting trashy sites

smkunder

I have had a couple really bad days with the Deus, I need to understand how with the faster reactivity settings how one pulls out the good signals amongst the trash, so far to my ears it just sounds like a machine gun going off in my ears. When I dig what I think is a clean signal it is a crown cap or a pull tab, this has to be the most frustrating machine to master, I am not getting a handle on repeating the sounds. Even when looking at the numbers these items are ringing out like they are a good signal. I have to figure this thing out, as I see so many who say how easy and good it is.

Did you go auto GB (tracking) ! Properly yes. Please try a high manual GB next time. Like If the average GB is 75-80 then try GB 80-85. That help me in our trashy site... The auto GB goes up and down and it gave me never the same tones / signal. And dont lower the Disc. to much 6.8 Deus fast setting aren't so bad.
Thats my idea to help, in a answer to what you told.
Henrik.

My best recommendation is to buy Andy Sabisch's book (sorry if I butchered the spelling, but his book is great)

Henrikras makes a good point about increasing your GB. I alway hunt with it a couple points above the actual Ground Value to help silence that chatter.

I turn down the sensitivity when in trash, also I run TX at 1 (TX 3 will only give you a couple more inches anyway)

I run reactivity at 4-5 and hunt slow (very fricking slow) when I get a good signal I walk around it, most of the time it can only be heard from opposite directions because of all the trash. Sometimes there is so much trash that you cannot "X" the pinpoint, you must simply wiggle the coil towards you until it silences and it is under the front tip of the coil.

Under the Reactivity window, you can hit the "expert" button, then use the Silencer. Depending on the noise I usually hunt with it set at 1. (remember, we are talking about hunting in the trash, you can adjust it more or less to fit your location)

I run my discrimination up to about 10, using full tones, and notch trash according to where I am. If I'm hunting an empty lot with no good history, I notch lots, but if I'm where I think I can find cool stuff also, I'm in for a day of digging and also getting lots of trash.

I keep my iron volume down when in trash, there is always enough to listen to. So "ZERO" is my choice unless relic hunting.

Audio Response I leave around a 3, if I'm wanting to go deeper, and think I may miss lighter sounds, I will increase this number. It won't help your machine detect any deeper, but it will let you hear the deeper sounds a bit louder.

Hope this helped? I have good success in trash, and in areas that have been hammered by other detectors. If you are near Phoenix, come on out, I will take you hunting. Good targets are easy once you know what to listen for. Use your ears.

Oh, pull tabs jump numbers more than coins do. You will quickly be able to determine which to dig. Sometimes you will be wrong, but digging nickels is my favorite, so I tabs just on the chance that I'm wrong and it may be a nickel. Typically, when I see the numbers jumping around, it is almost always a tab. Nickels don't jump numbers much.

Set up a bottle cap program (search this forum) or let me know if you can't find it. I always keep that program available so that one push of a button, my detector drops to 4khz and has the silencer up to 4. This either kills that bottle cap signal, or it will cause the bottle cap to read a higher number than it did while I was hunting at 12 khz. You will get an occassional cap that sneaks past, but no often.

Once you put some time in with the Deus, you and your shoulder will be glad that you aren't toting all that weight. Yes, it may take a while, but you will soon be pleased.

Texas West I tried to send you a PM, but it would not allow me to send it. If you could I would love to look at your bottle cap program.

If ya want we can meet up one day at a park and go on a hunt. Your not that far away. You can try all the programs in the world but you really just need to stick with even a basic one and get the sounds down. The basic programs are actually really good. Then you can step up and try others. I think its the difference from a slow minelab to a fast hear everything detector might be your problem. It is like learning a new language. The bottlecap program in 4kz is on youtube aswell. It works ok. I can tell by using my ears now. Saves time.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzjVyki6qus[/video]

smkunder said:
Texas West I tried to send you a PM, but it would not allow me to send it. If you could I would love to look at your bottle cap program.

I made my email address viewable if you click on my name. Or you can go to the XP Dealers listing for AZ and look me up that way (DiggerDude)

The Bottle Cap program is pretty simple, just go to 4khz, turn your silencer up to 4. If the bottle caps still make a noise, they will be choppy. If they are really rusty and sound good, then look at your display. In 12 khz, you will be looking at about a 92-93 on screen, then change to 4 khz, and if the number is higher on 4 khz then it is a bottle-cap.

Feel free to call me.

HH, Jim

TexanWest said:
smkunder said:

I made my email address viewable if you click on my name. Or you can go to the XP Dealers listing for AZ and look me up that way (DiggerDude)

The Bottle Cap program is pretty simple, just go to 4khz, turn your silencer up to 4. If the bottle caps still make a noise, they will be choppy. If they are really rusty and sound good, then look at your display. In 12 khz, you will be looking at about a 92-93 on screen, then change to 4 khz, and if the number is higher on 4 khz then it is a bottle-cap.

Feel free to call me.

HH, Jim

It was great talking with you today Jim, thank you for helping me out with some questions and settings.

It was great talking with you today Jim, thank you for helping me out with some questions and settings.[/quote]

Steve, keep me posted, I think you will like the bottle caps program from Andy S. He knows his stuff. I also use it on pull tabs, hope you had time to do some air tests.

Oh, my hunt for today: Another 1960 Rosie, 4 wheats, 2 quarters, 3 nickels, 7 dimes, 9 copper pennies, zero zinc, and 2 pieces of jewelry, 1 key. Not a single bottle cap. I did get some pull tabs, but knew that they were probably tabs when I targeted them. (what can I say, I love nickels..)

HH, call anytime. Jim

So I am guessing that if you are in id norm, all notching should be done as if you are in 18 kHz , regardless of which kHz you are running in?

smkunder said:
So I am guessing that if you are in id norm, all notching should be done as if you are in 18 kHz , regardless of which kHz you are running in?

Correct. Some like ID norm but at least for me; having less of a VDI spread in 18 kHz while using full tones makes for too many high tones and digging a lot of iron. Others prefer it this way...I guess it really depends on what you're hunting and your environment! Only wish id norm could be set to 4 kHz values but that's just me!

Trying to decide if I like the full tones or not, it is somewhat similar to my Minelab CTX, but not quite as high pitched, Time will tell

Stix said:
I will take that as a no :)

Not a no , lets figure out a time and a place, We are only about 10 miles apart, sure would like to hunt with someone with experience on this machine.

Thanks

smkunder said:
Stix said:
I will take that as a no :)

Not a no , lets figure out a time and a place, We are only about 10 miles apart, sure would like to hunt with someone with experience on this machine.

Thanks

I was just kidding. I know ya said we could meet up. I am free most weeknights and Sundays. Saturdays are always jam packed. Your choice of places I have a few to. Seems like the best spot would be a trashy one for learning purposes. I can share what I have learned and what you have been reading and learning from these fine folks on the board and put together we can get ya on the right track.

Another "must read" for better understanding is Sergei UpstateNY's website.....
It's become my Bible and I own Andie's book as well, can't go wrong reading these....

metal detecting world dot com

CO_T\Huntr said:
Another "must read" for better understanding is Sergei UpstateNY's website.....
It's become my Bible and I own Andie's book as well, can't go wrong reading these....

metal detecting world dot com
WOW.This guys site is awesome! he seems to have spent alottttt of time studying the Deus.The VDI readout chart is awesome.He even gives the values of items next to different types of junk.Thank you for sharing this CO T\Hunter