Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

tumbler??

A lot of people use aquarium gravel.

I'm not sure of the exact size of aquarium gravel that I use but here is a picture of what I've been using for the last 5 years. There are some really small rocks in it and some that are a little larger.

I use a dual tumbler from Harbor Freight and I fill one of those cheap clear plastic cups level to the top with coins. You know, the kind of plastic glass that they serve a mixed drink in at a not so high class wedding. ha ha ha

I dump the coins in the tumbler and then fill the tumbler almost to the top with the aquarium gravel and then put in a tablespoon of Dawn and I fill the tumbler up with water until it reaches the the seal. I typically tumble the coins for 12 hours and between 6 and 8 hours into it I dump the sludge out and put another tablespoon of Dawn in and fill back up with clean water. Tumbling any longer does not make much of a difference and depending on how fast your tumbler runs, 12 hours may even be a little long. You'll have to experiment with what works for you but that should give you a good start.

I've made it an annual event to tumble my coins which will be happening any day now. When I'm all done, I rinse the gravel really good and then leave it sit in a big tray next to the wood burner stirring it every few hours to dry it out and then I pour it back in a big container that I bought at he dollar store. Be sure to tumble your pennies separate from the other coins, if not then your quarters, dimes and nickels will come out a reddish brown color.

Be sure to get the "natural" colored gravel, not the pretty colored stuff.

I use walnut shells dry. Any kind of rock tends to take some of the material. I bought a large box of walnut shells at Harbor Freight because I also use it to finish rock polishing.

I got one of those tumblers from Harbor Freight, but it takes too long. I dumped a whole bunch of coins in the cement mixer with a shovel full of road gravel and it got them real clean. It was just clad. I'd be more careful with older coins.

pplinker