Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Tumbling Wheat Cents

onemore

My first step is typically to throw a handful of wheats in a jar with mostly uncooked rice, water and a drop of Dawn. Then I shake it for about 20 minutes, dump and rinse. Takes most of the surface dirt off. This is not too harsh on the coin surface.

Looking for something that can clean the black crud from older wheat cents without wearing off the edges or removing the metal finish. The rice doesn't take the black crud off.

Anyone experimenting with other types of tumbler media?

I've used a large pencil eraser for years to remove some stubborn crud from individual coins... so now I am trying to tumble using the packages of children's tiny eraser's with water...

I just went through my wheats yesterday so will be interesting to watch this. I would like to know why some wheats seem to come out less affected by being in the ground than others. Some of these I could mix in with other 60-70s pennies and you wouldnt know the diff by color or wear.

I did some of my wheats a couple of years ago and did some for another treasure hunter that didn't come out too bad,little edge wear. Now that they sat for a while it is hard to see the edge wear.
I used a vibrating tumbler instead of my rotating one as it is nicer and dont over clean them. I used the aquarium gravel with water and some cleaner called awesome from the dollar store to get the dirt off of them, rinsed and air dried them. picked out those that were still bad for the next batch and run them again. Now the one I thought were good I put them back in my vibrating tumbler dry and used crush walnut shells and run them for a good couple of hours, separated the pennies from the shells and being the pennies where dusty I would run them again with just water for a few minutes and rinse them and air dry. They did look good other than the rims were a little lighter color and after a year or so they look very good.
The vibrating tumbler I have is what re-loader use to polish there shells before reloading them. the crushed walnut shells are one they use to polish their shells.
With the cover off first time I watched the coins while adding some water until I seen them rotating in the tumbler and didn't add anymore water as they have to be moving and more water they didn't rotate as much. I wouldn't do collectible coin it there though , but those that are common they look good. Make sure you check the dates before you do this as my friend I did we found 2 1924 D in those he ask me to clean and 2 IH that were common dates.
The first time you try just do the real common one and go from there.
Rick