Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Tweaking a new vx3 detetor

Rex1

I am new to this form and need help. I just bought a new vx3 and also put on a new d2 10 in coil. I have a test garden, buried pennies, nichels, dimes and quuarters
Each at 6 and 8 inches. In the c& j program, the detector will only pick up the dimes and quarters. What can i do to get it to pick up the pennies and nichels. Is it asking too much for the vx3 to do this. Any will be greatly appreciated.

Rex1

Hi Rex, I have the v3i. a few more bells and whistles, but basically the same machine. Your machine shouldn't have any trouble picking up those coins, and probably go much deeper with a few simple adjustments. One of the easiest ways to get more depth is to change the ground filter setting. The stock ground filter in coin and jewelry mode is set at 10 khz. If you go into the menu and lower this to 7.5 khz it should help. There is also a lower setting of 5 Khz. If you go this low you will have to sweep the coil much slower to avoid false signals, and probably adjust your sensitivity. The Band Pass filters are more stable than the High Pass Filters. High Pass seems more susceptible to EMI. The high pass would be good out in the middle of the woods, far from power lines etc. The 7.5 filter is a good compromise for a good sweep speed and better depth, but you can go to the 5 khz if you want to work it slow. The filters are for ground minerals really. Less filter equals more ground signal in a way, and faster sweep speeds can cause false signals. The next step would be to increase your sensitivity settings. The disc sensitivity is more crucial to depth than a high RX gain setting. It's kind of a balancing act. You will just have to try it out to get the hang of it. Try running your Disc sensitivity to 80, if it doesn't chatter try a bit higher then back off some if you start to see false signals on the display. Once you find a good spot with that, try and increase the RX gain a few points. your best bet is to keep it stable, but see how high you can push it. This is pretty basic, but really the key with these machines. Once you get comfortable with that, you can try single frequency sometime. Single frequencies can really punch down there, and open up some new finds.

Good luck :)

MrBranton33 said:
Hi Rex, I have the v3i. a few more bells and whistles, but basically the same machine. Your machine shouldn't have any trouble picking up those coins, and probably go much deeper with a few simple adjustments. One of the easiest ways to get more depth is to change the ground filter setting. The stock ground filter in coin and jewelry mode is set at 10 khz. If you go into the menu and lower this to 7.5 khz it should help. There is also a lower setting of 5 Khz. If you go this low you will have to sweep the coil much slower to avoid false signals, and probably adjust your sensitivity. The Band Pass filters are more stable than the High Pass Filters. High Pass seems more susceptible to EMI. The high pass would be good out in the middle of the woods, far from power lines etc. The 7.5 filter is a good compromise for a good sweep speed and better depth, but you can go to the 5 khz if you want to work it slow. The filters are for ground minerals really. Less filter equals more ground signal in a way, and faster sweep speeds can cause false signals. The next step would be to increase your sensitivity settings. The disc sensitivity is more crucial to depth than a high RX gain setting. It's kind of a balancing act. You will just have to try it out to get the hang of it. Try running your Disc sensitivity to 80, if it doesn't chatter try a bit higher then back off some if you start to see false signals on the display. Once you find a good spot with that, try and increase the RX gain a few points. your best bet is to keep it stable, but see how high you can push it. This is pretty basic, but really the key with these machines. Once you get comfortable with that, you can try single frequency sometime. Single frequencies can really punch down there, and open up some new finds.

Good luck :)
the vx3 does not have those filters . Correct me if I'm wrong I believe 5 and 12 are the choices . If it hitting the dime is should hit the pennies np

Wow. I didn't know that! LOL I thought it was much more similar to the V3i. I guess he will have to try the 5 khz, apparently that's the default, and I agree with you about detecting the penny. Seems odd that it will detect the smaller coin.

Thanks,
Ireally appreciate the info and will try it as soon as the weather permits. Its tough here in nc right now.

I have a vx3 and at 6 even 8 inches it will hit them..If you got it used reset time!

You should have no problem seen those coins at that depth. At some places i have to run my vx3 at 50 55 rx3. I would tinker around with the settings and see what works best. Good luck