Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Two CTX3030 using GPS?

JBE_Iowa

I was wondering if several ctx3030's were searching an area can the info for all the units be downloaded into a computer to check how much ground was covered by all the machines? Would make it easier to cover large areas thoroughly if everyone could download their data into the same map.

And you thought old parks were hunted out before, now you will be sure that not a single inch of the park was missed!

Joe

Very very interesting. I think that is possible and if not yet possible should be.

Along the same lines, Wouldn't it be interesting to be able to view the Ground Balance readings of a site to see how mineralization changes and such? This might help to show where habitation was from a different perspective.

The great thing about the CTX, which not many people have mentioned, is the software ugradability. If a lot of people say, "hey, wouldn't it be nice if", it is quite possible Minelab just makes the update. Benefits both parties.

It will be interesting to see how this option is implemented. During the E-Trac development, software was in fact sent as files which we simply uploaded with an interface that was provided but when the software reached the release level, that option was removed and the software locked down. The concern was loss of the code which is why much of the FBS circuit is in fact not patented. So the question will be what is offered / provided in the software upgrades; i.e., user interface options only or will Minelab will wiling to actually make FBS changes available to the public? It also raises the question of cost . . . . there is no mention as to the cost - if any - for this option.

Other companies have experimented with upgradibility without replacement over the years with varying levels of success going back to White's in the 1990's - some 20 years ago. First Texas offered software upgrades for a charge on some of their models as changes were found to be warranted. XP Metal Detectors offers this option at no charge on the Deus which removes the fear of buying a high-end detector and finding out a change has made your purchase obsolete or at least less effective than the current model.

Storing additional data such as ground balance readings, target ID values, etc. would require onboard memory storage and since there does not appear to be a slot for a memory card, if extra memory was not built into the circuit upfront, saving large amounts of data may not be an option even of the software could be changed to gather it.

Andy Sabisch

If you have ten spots searched the internal memory probably wont hold all that data, so you will need to have a pc with you to load in the data for the area you are in??

This should be interesting, would be nice to be able to add a memory card or flash drive to download to the ctx.

Joe

it would be cool if you could insert a thumb drive and store information on it while your in the field.

BCOOP

That amount of data would be very tiny since it's alphanumeric. Likely well under 2K.

HH
BB

The GPS feature will be interesting, there are a lot of parks that we think every inch was covered, how do you know for sure...could lead to finding little slivers of land not searched before. Plus, it could lead to discovering old trails/roads, groups of homes long gone....should open up a lot more possibilities.

Joe

Joe,

Handheld GPS units that allow you to download detailed maps including top maps, aerial maps and hig-resolution street level maps, track your progress, mark specific waypoints and then upload the tracks / points back to a computer have been available for several years now. Grabbing waypoints for locations of interest and sending them to a GPS unit is something that relic hunters have been doing for some time as well.

I've been out with fellow relic hunters and each of us carried a GPS unit tracking our progress . . . and at the end of the day, each of us transferred the files and combined them onto one map to see where finds were made and what areas might need to be searched further based on what was found ro what ground might ave been missed.

Be interested to hear from others in terms of their use of GPS in field work

Andy Sabisch

I also use GPS on a daily basis for my business. When we grid out an area, we use handheld units to make sure that every bit of ground has been covered. I have also used GPS to mark waypoints as Andy has mentioned so that I can keep track of "good/bad" locations. I always at least carry a handheld gps in my detector bag. It doesn't get used on every hunt but I surely do use it a lot. I agree with Andy, it would be interesting to hear how many others out there are doing the same thing. I, for one, am excited about this feature on the CTX and can't wait to get mine very soon here. I am sure that the gps function will not be often used by many CTX owners, but for me, it surely will be a commonly used feature. HH -Marc

JBE_Iowa said:
If you have ten spots searched the internal memory probably wont hold all that data, so you will need to have a pc with you to load in the data for the area you are in??
This should be interesting, would be nice to be able to add a memory card or flash drive to download to the ctx.
Joe

Ding, Ding, Ding!!! We have a winner!!!

That is a very good idea. It would require reworking to firmware. These are the types of ideas that will allow the evolution and development of previously unthought of applications for the technology. I am tell you put GPS, Wifi, 4G, whatever else you can put into it, and people will think of things like this that it can do. With Wifi or bluetooth it could work through your cell phone and probably do all kinds of things.

Yes you can download all 10. This is an exciting feature. Think of all the possibities.