Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Two good (lucky) hunts in a row

Larbear2

I got out last Sunday for a 3 hour hunt, weather was great for metal detecting. Sun was shining, no wind, mid 40s. Got lucky and got my F70 over a ‘51 Franklin half dollar, my first in many years. Also recovered a decent amount of clad, 3 dollars and some change.
Got out yesterday for about 45 minutes before it got dark. After 20 minutes I had a Gorilla Guard padlock and .38 cents for my efforts. Making my way back to the truck I was still swinging away because you just never know. Got a decent signal, VDI of 22-23-24. First thought was can slaw. Found the center of the target and did some short swipes back and forth over the target. The VDI now gave a solid 23, still a nice solid tone. I was still thinking it was probably can slaw, but was hoping for something better. Down about 2 inches, turned out to be a 10k white gold class ring, 1995, weighs 5 grams!
image.jpg

I must need more probiotics, my gut says gold and canslaw pops out!!’ You just never know ..... good job listening to your instincts!

What a stunning ring ! I'm surprised how low a nice chunk of gold can ID on a detector. What's the iron cutoff on an F70, 15 ?

Thanks Mike, yes 0-15 is iron on the F70. I checked the ring with the F19 (tested inside the house). Ring came in at 52. What are your coil preferences on the F19 ? Any tips or tricks you would care to share ? I would like to use my F19 more, most of my searching is in sports fields, schools, parks. Only coil i have so far is what it came with, the 5x10.

Thanks Mike, yes 0-15 is iron on the F70. I checked the ring with the F19 (tested inside the house). Ring came in at 52. What are your coil preferences on the F19 ? Any tips or tricks you would care to share ? I would like to use my F19 more, most of my searching is in sports fields, schools, parks. Only coil i have so far is what it came with, the 5x10.
I don't have any special tricks with the F19/G2+. I use those detectors as my dig all machines when I want to find jewelry AND coins (modern clad and old ones). Since I don't like hearing iron signals in moderate to trashy areas, I shut it off by setting volume at 10. I never use discrimination and notch. I hardly use v-break anymore but sometimes I will when I want to cut off small foil as well. I hear the low grunt but at least I don't have to look at my ID to positively confirm that it's something in the 40-50 range. That's it ! I dig everything that gives me a decent double tone. Our clad here is so cheap that I have to dig targets that are really jumpy and that sometimes ID in the high range. Most of these will be dimes and quarters with the nickel plated steel core. As much as I don't really like the VCO on those detectors, it can be useful. Most places will have the 20-30 year old trash just 1-2 inches down the grass thatch. The volume will be way up signaling a shallow target. The goodies are found deeper and the F19 will signal those with a weaker volume level. A quick pin pointing of the target will confirm depth and general size of the object.

Since the F19/G2+ are very good at separation and have a fast recovery speed, it makes little sense to use them with a big coil unless targets are few and far between or generally deep (I use a Detech Ultimate at the beach). The Fisher 5 X 10 is an excellent choice in dirt. I use the MGC 5 X 8 simply because I got my two detectors with the 7 X 11 as stock and I don't like that one in heavy trash. The MGC works very well so far. I've bought the Cors Shrew (same as NEL snake) recently and still testing it. I wanted the smallest DD coil I could find for ultimate separation in trash and that's the one. If only the F19/G2+ had 3 or 4 tone for old coin hunting ! Have I mentioned that before ? ;)

I don't have any special tricks with the F19/G2+. I use those detectors as my dig all machines when I want to find jewelry AND coins (modern clad and old ones). Since I don't like hearing iron signals in moderate to trashy areas, I shut it off by setting volume at 10. I never use discrimination and notch. I hardly use v-break anymore but sometimes I will when I want to cut off small foil as well. I hear the low grunt but at least I don't have to look at my ID to positively confirm that it's something in the 40-50 range. That's it ! I dig everything that gives me a decent double tone. Our clad here is so cheap that I have to dig targets that are really jumpy and that sometimes ID in the high range. Most of these will be dimes and quarters with the nickel plated steel core. As much as I don't really like the VCO on those detectors, it can be useful. Most places will have the 20-30 year old trash just 1-2 inches down the grass thatch. The volume will be way up signaling a shallow target. The goodies are found deeper and the F19 will signal those with a weaker volume level. A quick pin pointing of the target will confirm depth and general size of the object.

Since the F19/G2+ are very good at separation and have a fast recovery speed, it makes little sense to use them with a big coil unless targets are few and far between or generally deep (I use a Detech Ultimate at the beach). The Fisher 5 X 10 is an excellent choice in dirt. I use the MGC 5 X 8 simply because I got my two detectors with the 7 X 11 as stock and I don't like that one in heavy trash. The MGC works very well so far. I've bought the Cors Shrew (same as NEL snake) recently and still testing it. I wanted the smallest DD coil I could find for ultimate separation in trash and that's the one. If only the F19/G2+ had 3 or 4 tone for old coin hunting ! Have I mentioned that before ? ;)
Thanks dfmike !

All depends on how you define luck! I'd rather think it's when preparation meets opportunity!! Nice finds hhrickinmi