Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

two key date barber dimes in one evening

gear box

I went out this afternoon for a couple hour's at that old fairgrounds that treated me so well last year. I'm still amazed at all the Barber dimes it gives up. Tonight I got number 11 and 12 from there and both are key dates. One is a 1897 O and the other is a 1901 S both in pretty good shape. The one had a piece of rusty iron laying on it but the GT with the SEF coil did it's job. I got the Canadian dime a couple of day's ago and I stabbed it pretty good on the back. It looks like the last two digits were worn off anyway. So I'm pretty stoked to get back out there.
Good luck Gary

VERY Nice! Key dates? Fantastic then, actually...:thumbup: I think the barber dime I dug a month or two back was a 1901, but with no mint mark. Is the barber that had iron laying on it the one with the rust stain front and back it looks like?

Yep, got to love Iron Mask on the Sovereign, and that 12x10 will sniff coins out laying right up against junk due to it's razor sharp DD line. So will the 10" Tornado, but it's much more "effortless" with the 12x10 for me. Almost too easy in fact.

Did you see the stainless steel nut with a real rusted old short bolt sticking out both ends of it that I dug the other day in that thread with pics? Last picture in that thread with all the 3 day finds together on a tray. I wanted to show how the GT and the 12x10 was separating and seeing that nut even though it had that rusty old bolt sticking out both sides of it.

I kept getting a coin/null/coin/null type of response from any direction as I wiggled over it, but the coin portion was so solid and clean without the ghostly or broken up traits of a false iron spike that I just knew it was going to be a "coin" laying with iron. Well, it wasn't a coin obviously, but it shows the wonders of both iron mask and also the 12x10.

Even with the excellent 10" Tornado I've sniffed coins out of iron like that with Iron Mask ON on the GT. Amazing ability, as it seems to try to sound off very hard to any non-ferrous portions of a mixed "as one" ferrous/non-ferrous signal. I suspect this is why these BBS units seem unique in that they don't allow you to lower iron rejection.

Detection fields can tell you the non-ferrous/ferrous traits of a mixed signal, as obviously Minelab figured out how to do that and provides a ferrous # on the FBS units. Maybe I'm wrong but I suspect on these BBS units they just try to pull a mixed signal like that apart and try their hardest to sound off to any non-ferrous aspects ot it.

If that isn't the case then I still think something is going on, because I never saw a machine fish coins out of iron like this in all the years I've owned different machines, and that includes me always running my other machines over the years with no iron rejection because I always liked to hear it all and let my ears do the discriminating.

Once again, great finds there you got for sure...

Forgot to add, in that other thread....You'll see the merc in the last pic with all the other finds sitting next to a blob of gold colored foil. Both were together in the hole at decent depth, yet the 12x10 had no trouble hitting perfectly clear on that merc from any angle.

I always wiggle my way all the way around targets to soak in their traits for hints on target traits with future stuff I inspect with the coil, or at least do 2 or 3 ninety degree angle wiggles over the target to judge it's traits and qualities when I don't think I need further inspection with a full circle around it.

Always makes me made when I dig a keeper of some kind when I didn't inspect it well before digging, or remember to soak in and remember what it was telling me by both it's audio and VDI traits, so I always try to do that for future reference.

I do the same thing Critter, many times i've gotten a sick tone but with enough tone change to make me circle the target from every angle and usually there will be one spot that gives a good tone and a good enough ID to make me dig. I've found lot's of things in the ground next to coins making for a rather odd tone usually foil or some sort of iron. But more than once I got in a hurry and dug the target only to wish I would have investigated a little more with the coil and settings and how the coin was laying in the ground. I've also gotten just a peep of a good target but when I circled the target the rest of the tone and response was pretty sick and that first peep was as good as it was going to get. So yes, a little more investigating can really pay off sometimes.
HH Gary

I know what you mean about a coin nulling or being a bad hit due to masking from all angles, but in one particular angle it just is such a "solid" coin hit you just know it can't be iron. These traits and qualities are very subjective and can't really be explained all the way, where only hearing, watching the ID traits, and sniffing all the way around a target will give you "subconscience" hints of what it may be.

Usually even an iron spike that gives a solid coin hit from just one angle will be somewhat "different" than a true coin masked by iron. One small extension of that, but in no way the only indication, is that sometimes iron that gives you that perfect coin hit from just one angle will take more work to wiggle up to coin in both tone and VDI #. When I need further input other than the audio traits, I'll watch the meter and see how random it is in it's climb to 180. If it jumps around more randomly on it's climb, then I suspect iron, where as if it climbs to 180 in less random fashion I'll lean towards a coin masked by iron.

That's just one tiny example of subtle hints, and by no means the final word of which or what can tip me off. You have to play it by ear, and much like a musician who "feels" the notes, there are just some things that can't be described to people and only can be experienced, or perhaps shown via a video with the VDI and audio traits, but even then those traits can be lost in translation unless you know what you are looking for, as I'm sure you know what I mean. Just can't say it or show it in some respects, and must be a intuition thing that needs sharpened between your brain and the coil to make those judgments in some respects.

There is a certain "tone" to coins on edge. Two of them I've heard, and they are very distinct from probably 99.9% of all trash that I've ever come across. Usually a coin on edge will give one of these unique "warble" or up/down tones or the other, and when I hear that I know it's time to dig. Stops me dead in my tracks, after I've circled it completely to confirm what I'm suspecting, and often these coins on edge will give perfect coin IDs from certain angles.

Even if they warble of the two types of audio responses, one or the other, and don't give me a perfect coin hit from certain angles, I just know what it is going to be. I've found silvers at even just 2 or 3" depths with the GT at "dead" parks by being aware of this unique aspect to them, missed by other guys and machines for eons, and even though the 10" Tornado has found me those, the 12x10 and even the Ultimate seem a bit more adept at finding those coins on edge for me.

Far as masking goes, I've got a few friends with another flagship silver killer, as I consider the Sovereign a flagship machine in it's own right, and they are running programs I helped them to set up on their machines, researching all the most agreed on settings and discrimination patterns agreed to by most of the heavy hitters with those units out there.

Well, they've called me over to check undug targets, and I've called them over to check ones I've found, and in roughly two years not once could either of us hit a super deep, badly masked, on edge, or combinations of all these things....Coin, and I could not hear it just as well from those same angles with the GT and 12x10. This is despite them using very minimal iron rejection, where as the GT has all that iron rejection built in.

Iron Mask ON on the GT to me is magic, and I know the 12x10 enhances that ability to sniff coins out of iron even better do to it's ability with that razor sharp DD line to "see" and "not see" such things as a coin right up against iron.

I'm talking coins so badly masked, that they nulled for both of us all the way around them but one very tight angle. One particular silver coin that comes to mind, had the 3 deadly sins of a coin to contend with- It was fairly deep *for our soil* at about 8", and it was on edge, and it was right up against iron. It nulled from some angles, warbled from others, and only gave a decent enough coin hit to dig from one particular very tight angle. It was dug, and it turned out it was on edge, deep, and right up against a rather large piece of iron, yet the GT and 12x10 worked their magic.

Do I love this GT? Do I love the 12x10? I don't even need to answer that, because if I saw any lacking in the field I'd move right on to the "next great thing", as I have done that many times over the years. I'm not brand loyal, and I'm not model loyal. I go by what I see, experience, and compare in the field. Unless a machine gets max depth and unmasking ability, along with stability to achieve those, in my soils....Then I move along.

In my quest over the years I could find a part of this or a part of that, I could find one or the other in a machine, but always something was lacking. Some of the other particulars for me are numerous tone alerts, detailed audio, and also super high conductivity resolution in the low and mid range where it counts when avoiding tabs, foil, and other junk while after rings, relics, or odd coins that read lower on the scale, along with a wide variety of coil options.

In one small example I've owned machines with resolution in the coin range to judge coins above copper penny, and I've owned ones without such ability, and I always seemed to do better with coins above copper being lumped into one VDI. Reason being I've dug coins on those machines with the fine resoluition in the coin range that read silvers as copper pennies, or even other coins, such as as low as zincs, due to masking, depth, on edge, minerals, dry conditions, being worn, and so on.

I don't care about what the machine thinks the coin is when after old coins. My rule is shallow but masked with trash then I'm digging it because it might be an old coin others have missed for years...Or, if it's deep, say about 7" or deeper, which is beyond the reach of most machines in my soil. Other than that, I could care what the machine thinks it is, other than being able to ID zincs when they are around by the billions and I'm only after clad above that or everything else. The 180 meters for the Sovereign will do that, so I'm good.

And, often, when being "particular" based on both the audio and how quick various coins jump to 180, I can tell sometimes silver from clads. Even wheats, though copper or bronze mixtures, often read only 173, 176, or 178 or 179 for me. Glads get to 180 and faster, while silvers are even more "instant", with a bit more "sweet" tone to them sometimes I can hear.

Mainly, I only care about high *conductivity* resolution when trying to split hairs on the mid and low conductors, where most of the trash roams, when I'm after those gold rings, relics, or certain old coins that read lower on the VDI scale. That's when it's important to me, because of the amount of trash (such as pulltabs or foil and etc) that roam in the low and mid ranges of VDI.

The conductivity resolution of the 180 meters on the Sovereign are so high, that besides distinctly separating nickels from tabs, and most foil below nickels, they also offer a "gap" between what is the highest tab # 99.9% of the time for me (169) versus the VDI # for a zinc penny (173). That 170, 171, and 172 #....I've dug some rather good finds in that "no man's land" dead zone where targets rarely range. I love it when I see those numbers.

Anyway, getting back to my long search in machines...I could find this and that, but never all the bases covered in my "sampling the wine" over all these years. Some even were "close" to what I wanted, but lacked coil selections in aftermarket or manfufacture avenues to close the deal for me based on various sites and conditions....But I can honestly say , despite all my roaming, that I've found all of these things and more in spades with this GT and it's stock 10" Tornado, yet despite that the 12x10 was like strapping a turbo charger to the whole deal.

Yes, I'm finally home...:thumbup:

Good hunt :thumbup: there is Canadian coins everywhere out here i have dug many early 1900,s silver Nice BD,s Jim

When people say "key dates" they can have two meanings with that- One being a rare year and/or mint mark, and the other being a key date they've been missing from their collection of coins over the years. Either reasoning is a victory.

Hey Hydraglide, Critter is correct and in this case of the dimes it's the low mintage and the mint marks. Making them more rare and hard to come by.
Good luck Gary

Gary these 2 are the ones you gotta look for they are out there ,
The 1894-S Barber is one of America's true rarities, with 24 made and only nine specimens currently accounted for. This issue is rated R8 in mint state. The finest of these recently sold for $825,000. 1905-O micro-O is also rated R8.
GL Jim

Congrats on the silver and thanks for the tip. I found A 1901 O on Sunday but it's in bad shape, I had no idea it was a semi key date as I stopped looking
them up.

Hey Jim, I'll be going out later and will be looking for that 1894-S. That's for sure a rare one.
MD congrats on your Barber also. They are so much fun to find, you know your in a good spot when you find one.
HH Gary