Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Two Passions Melded

mrhvmd

After trying several complicated means of attaching my AT Pro to my Trek trail bike I finally settled on 3 small bungees. Works perfectly! Rode 30 miles yesterday and hardly noticed its presence. Swung on Higgins Beach, Scarborough, ME and hauled in one stinkin' Lincoln. But there will be better days.

That'll work. I rigged up a shoulder/back sling for my detector once but, it kept sling around too much.

I bike with mine quite a bit by breaking it down to two pieces and putting it into a bag with a shoulder strap along with my short-handled scoop, gloves, drop-cloth, hard-hat, propointer, and digging tool. I then wrap a yellow safety vest around the bag. Great way to get to a site and great exercise that makes the knee bends while detecting a lot easier! Stay visible out there on the roads MRHVMD! Even the texters don't want to hit you, but they may if they don't see you.
HH

A lot of places to detect are within biking distance from where I live. Biking saves money on gas and is good for you health. I have often mentioned that there is a lot of talent on Garrett Forums.

I read an article by some sort of physiologist that ranked all the mammals on this Planet in so far as the structural limitations and dynamics from getting from one place to another in a natural sense...of course, physiologically speaking, a Human is dead last..we are not built to cover a lot of ground on two feet compared to the rest of the mammals our size...BUT, he noted, you put a guy on a bicycle, and then buddy, we can cover great expanses with little energy output!...the price of gas being what it is, this surely is a subject that directly effects our time/distance/ROI afield...Even after a stellar day, a fellow has a hard time breaking even financially, since most of the 'profit' from detecting goes right into the tank for tomorrows run...:sadwalk:.good food for thought..:thumbup:
Mud

I used to bungee my ACE 250 across the turn signal stems of my motorcycle. too bad that I never took a pic.

Yep, Mud, someone smarter than I did the math and determined that a bike is the most efficient means of human travel vis a vis return on energy expended. And that's just it, Metalfun - on fairly level ground thirty miles isn't too difficult. The East Coast Greenway Trail project (http://www.greenway.org) aims to connect a bikeable path from Maine to Key West. About 25% is currently car traffic free and growing. My goal upon retirement in a few years, along with my wife, is to take 3-4 months and ride it from north to south and glean treasure along the way.

Nice setup! I don't own a car (well, I own four; one for my wife and three for my kids). I cycle 6 miles to work everyday whether it's sunny, raining, snowing, etc. That includes upstate NY winters. When I cycle to go detecting, I I take apart the ATP and put it into one of the panniers. I also use the 18 inch Lesche shovel that I put into the other pannier.

aj

I would love to bike around Huntsville Alabama, but you're taking your life in your hands because there are no shoulders on the roads and these have to be some of the narrowest roads I've ever seen in the U.S. It's one of quite a few reasons that I don't want to retire here someday. A job transfer brought us down here about 10 years ago and while it's a nice area, I can think of better places.

Canewrap! Just move down the road to Guntersville! Bike paths, great water! I'm retiring there! Thats a little diamond of a town I lived in when a job transfer took me south in the 90's..lived there for 10yrs!... Find a place just a few miles west of G'ville across the causeway in the Warrenton community, get a place snuggled up at the base of that big cliff, near the liquor store and marina, the tornadoes come off that cliff and go right up over the house!...somebody is sweeping that town though, I dont know who, but I hit it a few months back when I was through there on business, and could tell..next time I'm through, I'm gonna rent a boat and motor up to the Blue Cave Trout hole...I know theres some by gosh gold in there! (BCT hole) is not on the map, its my nickname of a place I found...I saw a 'blue cave trout' down in there when I was snorkeling once...:rofl:
Mud

That's a serious looking rig you've got there, mrhvmd! It's nice to see that biking is getting more popular, it sure rounds out the detecting workout, doesn't it? I may try that config on my next bike outing. Last time, I broke down the detector down and put it in a day pack in a crate on the back, but it still shifted around. I'll wait until we're out of the mid 90s, though (for the hilly stuff,at least).

What I like about this setup is that I jump off the bike, unhook some bungees and I'm ready to go, before the treasure can hear me coming and escape.

Hmm, I never even thought about a bicycle, and I have one gathering dust in the shop, lol. It would be perfect for this one beach I go to.....Thanks for the idea! That's what I like about this forum...very educational!