Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Two questions - need help

Shambler

First, an Excalibur II I bought used is acting up after it's been underwater a while, so I believe it's leaking somewhere. It will start making a loud squeal every two minutes or so and eventually it stops detecting metal. The threshold still works but it's like the volume is all the way off. Give it a day and it starts working again. This Excal II has a headset mod so the previous owner could use Grey Ghost headphones. I'm thinking that's where it is leaking. The connection is the same as the battery connection. Does anyone have an idea how I can seal that connection better to help ensure no moisture gets in?

Second, I can already tell I'm going to have a problem wearing out the bottom of the coil. I don't really want the hassle of a coil cover. Any tricks other than marine epoxy to protect the bottom of the coil?

Thank you!

Shambler, I use a pickup bed spray liner called pure rubber coating by blue magic co. for the bottom of my coils. It does real well for me and dries fast if put in the sun. It can be purchased in most auto stores by different names with the same results. GH, Don

Using marine Epoxy with Strengthen the bottom of the coil and the sides of it for that matter.. and When used in Conjunction with the Bed liner spray.. you can't go wrong...

Marine Epoxy is very simple to use.... Its pretty darn easy... Some people Fear the word "Epoxy" just because they are not confident with using it..

one my new frankensplorer SE pro coil, i tried the spray on bedline from rust-oleum.............(Truck Bed Coating)

my buddy uses similar, but from auto store.............made by Dupli-Color

both seem to work great and dry fast like dfxone said.

they both do wear some and i have re-sprayed several times.

just passing along.........fyi

the noise sounds like the battery is getting low from the way u described it...............could be a bad battery............or maybe the charger is not charging it fully or not at all.

headphone adapter plug............is the same as the plug at other end where coil and battery wire extend from.........i have never know one to leak at either end..........i have heard of the knobs leaking around the little oring in them...............many guys hunt in pin point and then shift back to descrim................hundred times a day................

DO U SEE WATER INSIDE THE TUBE....?...........or moisture after it sits.?

gravedigger said:
DO U SEE WATER INSIDE THE TUBE....?...........or moisture after it sits.?

I seem what appears to be condensation (no real water just rolling around), but when I take the headphones off, the seal is wet. That may be common since it looks like the real seal works on the tiny raised portion of that washer (around the prongs). I'm just not sure. I kind of felt that loud sound every so often might be a low battery - like the Explorer with the low warning. When it stopped detecting metal (could still hear threshold), I put my buddies battery on it and I still could not detect. Since it works after it sits a while, I'm guessing it's leaking. Any ideas for sealing those knobs without losing it for 90 days to Minelab? Their lengthy service has me reconsidering a different brand - that's too bad because their detectors are simply the best.

on my excalibur 2 i was having a problem with water getting into battery plug, i now use tube lube which can be bought at most pool supply stores,it seals up connectins very well since ive done this ive not had any problems.
hope this helps out
good luck
hh
john

like u said, something is leaking just a little.

gaskets..............both the battery and headphone gaskets get wet when used in the water...........just part of the deal when submerged.

both ends of the excal tube have big thick o rings that should not leak any, like knobs.........U NEED TO CHECK IT OUT...................

there is a minelab tech named bill branin who has gone out on his own doing repairs..............here is his info...........he has turn around times in days, not weeks or months.

f y i

BILL BRANIN
he has repaired 3 local excals around here and did it in days, not weeks............here is what he said to us:

I HAVE PARTS FOR EXCALS I WILL INSTALL DISCONNECT ON
HEAD PHONE I CAN MAKE MOST OF MY PLASTIC PARTS I HAVE A PLASTIC
INJECTION MACHINE THAT I CAN DUPLICATE ANY PART I NEED AS LONG AS I
HAVE AN ORINGINAL TO MAKE MY MOLD OUT OF I HAVE A COMPLETE MACHINE
SHOP AND I HAVE SEVERAL CUSTOM PRODUCTS THAT I WILL SELLING SOON AND
CAN DO REPAIRS ON ALL OF MINELAB MACHINES AND OTHER MANUFACTORS
MACHINE ALSO ............THANKS BILL

you can reach out to him here:

highplainsdrifter.bill@gmail.com

NOT SURE HE CAN DO ANY WARRANITY WORK FOR THE GUYS THAT NEED THAT.
just passing along some info. - F Y I