Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Two sweet coins from the same hole.

1859large

Hi,

I was off to my old hunting grounds this summer and on my last hunt, in a place my friends and I have hunted a number of times over the years I pulled these two out of the ground. I think I was hunting between a house and a barn site although nothing really remains above the grass but for a couple of slightly flatter patches on a slight hill above an old road/ cart path. I was using my new (this summer) 6" DD HF coil and it fairly shouted "dig" (44) between a bunch of iron nulls. The 2 coins came up one at a time from a dry dusty soil. My spade had mixed them up but as you can see they spent a long time one on top of the other. I only saw one at first but double checked and found the other.

The first Newfoundland coins where made in 1865 and then made to order every so many years after. 1870 was the next year this coin was minted. The last year for the NL 20c coin was 1912 (I found one of those earlier in the summer buried under a tin can on a wet and miserable short hunt) when they switched to 25c at the request of Canada, to which we did not belong in 1912.

A local coin expert said the 1870 would have been a VF40 if it had not been etched by the soil. The 1865 a VF30. He thought they could clean up a bit but I declined. They look fine to me.

I quit for the season at this find.

HH 1859

Congrats on two awesome Silver coins. What a way to end the season! HH Randy