Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Unanswered Questions

A

Anonymous

Hi All,
When I was invited to do a classroom on PI detectors, I didn

Hi Eric,
Hope everything is well with you and Frances. The book idea finally coming about is something many of us have anticipated for quite sometime. I suppose if I ever took the time to bind all of the PI related emails and posts over the past few years, I could put together something on the order of the Los Angeles telephone directory ! ha
Personally, I would like to see you do a single volume with all aspects under one cover. That, no doubt, would eventually be considered the "Bible" of pulse induction, the kind of reference that would be sought after and used for many years in the future.
Your comments concerning the band width of pulse machines in general got me to thinking about Minelab's new (so-called) "Full Band Spectrum" machines, and how they obviously "missed the mark" in their description. I believe their newest entries are broken down into 28 or so individual frequencies from 1.5 to 100 kHz, but with a 3kHz to 200kHz range of a good PI with no "specifics" as to the individual frequencies used, 28 frequencies would be nothing much more than a drop in the pond in comparison to what "could" be done with PI and microprocessor technology. The future should be interesting......
Haven't been posting much here on the Classroom Forum, but do lurk now and then. Great Job as usual !
Take care,
Ralph

Hi Eric,
My choice would be one book in two or three parts: Historical background, technical aspects and circuits, past, present and future. As Ralph states in his post, it would be the bible of PI.
Regards, RD

One or two volumes, I'll buy them both. Not any good books on metal detectors period. Either out of date or way to simple.
JC

Hi Eric,
The majority of enthusiasts are "swingers" of commercial products - look at the activity of various forums. Many would be into history and enjoy some technical appreciation that could perhaps direct or focus future investment decisions.
Then there are the "masochists" like me who live at benches, go blind peering at scopes, cough solder fumes, and stay up all night reading and thinking. They are truly antisocial.
Hence I plumb for two books. There is no doubt that a "swingers" volume would be more commercially viable, but to the "macochists" a technical volume is imperative.
I can only echo your penultimate statement - as I have attempted to do since discovering this forum - more postings from silent readers.
Best wishes'
g

Hi Eric
I think perhaps 2 volumes,one for coils and the other for the wheels in the control. One other thing to add would be a video for the details which are hard to put into words,as they say a picture is worth a thousand words,especially a talking one. Regards
Frank

As an old American Colonial History major, I would prefer a volume that was light on the more technical aspects. It is not that I can't appreciate folks who conduct learned discussion of diodes, ohms and all that good stuff, (We MD enthusiasts would all be in a sorry pickle without them.) It is just that I don't understand word one about Physics and from a marketing standpoint I strongly suspect that there are a lot more potential book buyers in my situation than there are individuals who get off on schematics.

Greetings Eric, and all others;
I have been following this and your other forum silently for some time now and I find it very intersting. While I do not presently own a PI detector (they are kind of spendy), I do own a nice vlf metal detector. I am interested in building a PI detector and am learning a lot by following your forum. Soon I will be building my first PI detector (God willing and wife permitting).
In regards to your request for input on the book you are writing. I think a single book with the first portion written for the technically impaired, this would help those of us who are not in the genuis category come up to speed for the second part of the book. I look forward to further discussions on this forum and the upcomming book.
Regards Tom Hildahl