Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Under water treasure hunting

Merlin cadogan

Hi guys,
I have got an old surf master 2 metal detector, and I have just bought a boat and scuba kit. I plan on doing some underwater treasure hunting here in Devon, England.
I am up to rescue diver with padi, and I have owned a few boats. I wanted to get some advice on underwater hunting, and any general tips for water work. If anyone can recommend any books about treasure hunters or techniques that would be very helpful.
Is there an underwater pin pointer on the market?
Many thanks,
Good luck
Merlin

Hello! I would highly recommend The Sport Diver's Guide To Sunken Treasure By David Finnern. I think this book would answer alot of your questions and start you in the right direction. Good luck to you! HH and be sure to post what you find. Bootyhunter

After you get a few hours of underwater experience a pinpointer is absolutely unnessessary. You going to be in sand or muck or silt? I have technics for all of the above. Once you see how easy it is to fan your hand over the sand to find a target, you will have a ton of fun. FAN your hand OVER the sand, do not touch it. Target will appear!! Muck requires a small 6" mesh bag. You pick up handfulls of it CAREFULLY and wave them in front of the coil. Once you have the target in your hand, you put the handful in the mesh bag, hold the top closed and swish it in the water and take out your target. You do it carefully because of glass and sharp metal in the water.

I use a 10" coil and NEVER use the pinpoint button, I had Fisher disable it. I know where the beep is just by looking at the bottom and seeing something I can refrence when it goes off. I also have a BIG 15" innertube float for my flag and to hold big goodies like anchors and old bottles. You NEVER know what your going to find in the water.

My float with my BC in front of it.

flagfloat.jpg

One of the mesh bags I carry

meshbag.jpg

One more thing. ALWAYS take out any of the small trash you find. You do NOT want to go back and dig it up again and waste air.

I skip breathe and I can stay down for 3 hours on a tank. I usually do not go deeper than about 15 foot. Its rare to find rings in deeper water.

I do not know what kind of dive flag is required over there but do NOT skimp and get a small float. Use something big like I have to let boaters SEE YOU.

Hi there scubadetector,
Thank you so much for your expert advice, and for posting those pictures. I will buy that book today.
There is a ship that sunk carrying slaves and gold in 1796 called the London. Gold coins were found on the beach where it sank 200 years later. The council closed and dredged the beach, but I bet that there are loads still out there below low water. That's where I'm going to start my search. It's a sand and gravel area, with rocky gullies.
If you google earth ilfracombe (England) it's the little beach opposite the harbour.
I just bought a boat for

Hi Bootyhunter,
Thank you for your advice, I have just ordered the book you suggested. I will be sure to post some pics and some stories, I'm taking my regs in for a service tomorrow morning and picking up a new second hand tank that's just been tested. Problem is we are in a big storm right now, and have flood warnings in place.
Anyway thanks once again, it's nice to have friends to chat to and ask and give advice:)
Good luck mate
Merlin

Is there a good source for mesh bags? Dive shops? Thanks