Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Understanding the HF coils

Bob38

Hey Folks

Dumb question #50

One of the common declarations of the HF coils is that they separate targets better in iron. This is commonly known, but why? Is it because the smaller and more rapid wavelength creates a "high definition effect" that has the ability to divide the high concentrations of different conductors? Or is the separation due to amplification lower conducting metals which leave the iron targets way behind in the audio response? or both?

And last, at what point (Khz range) do you find this to be most effective?

I have a few locations where the concentration of iron is so heavy that I could literally have three targets under the coil at the same time. On several occasions, I have dug a few nails and then a nickel or closely located next to a large piece of iron. All shallow, of course, less than 4 inches deep.

I would like to hear from others and their opinion of how they think the physics of this separation happens.

I think the declaration should be modified to say that "HF coils have the POTENTIAL to separate targets better in iron". Frequency definitely has a significant impact on target separation but so does Reactivity, Sensitivity, etc. Here is my high tech explanation of frequency and target separation. The higher the frequency, the skinnier the wave is. Those skinny waves have a better chance of getting through that small opening between pieces of iron or carpet of nails to hit that good target. A big long 4kHz wave just can't squeeze its fat butt into that little opening. Just visualize that next time you are swinging the coil in the heavy iron. ;)

I think the declaration should be modified to say that "HF coils have the POTENTIAL to separate targets better in iron". Frequency definitely has a significant impact on target separation but so does Reactivity, Sensitivity, etc. Here is my high tech explanation of frequency and target separation. The higher the frequency, the skinnier the wave is. Those skinny waves have a better chance of getting through that small opening between pieces of iron or carpet of nails to hit that good target. A big long 4kHz wave just can't squeeze its fat butt into that little opening. Just visualize that next time you are swinging the coil in the heavy iron. ;)

You just said in two sentences what took me a paragraph. I have to get a person with a 30Khz but to get under my house to do some plumbing cause my 4Khz but won’t fit any more😆

Another Analogy might be using a telescope to separate a double star that at low power appears to be one star but at higher magnification splits into two distinct stars.

Love your explanation Lodge & it makes sense to me!-----Would also explain why I can't get my fat butt through narrow door ways!:)

Another Analogy might be using a telescope to separate a double star that at low power appears to be one star but at higher magnification splits into two distinct stars.
Good analogy Relicmeister. I had my Dob out this week and was able to split the double-double near Vega.

I'll go along with lodge Scent on this one