Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Unknown Christmas day find

HvacDude

My nephew got a new metal detector for Christmas. He asked my how to use it and I went threw the fine points of his machine to teach him how to use it. While demonstrating how to use it my niece came out wanting to learn also. So he let her use it she asked me what to do and I guided her through the motions and she got a signal. This is what she dug up: I can tell you it was bent out of the ground (later at home I straightened it to examine), it is made of copper and looks to be silver plated. Also it has Made in England on the "handle" and bears a what looks to be a Royal Navy anchor. There is a cutout in the top only on one side. Can't find anything except the anchor online. Any ideas? I'm open for suggestions..... Oh Yeah I almost forgot it about 2.25 in long by .75 in wide by .5 in tall. Thanks!

The "made in England" puts the date after 1920. The design is called a fouled anchor. Not necessarily Royal Navy. That should have a crown above the anchor I think.

HH

Hi HvacDude, I have not searched up any Pics yet but I'm thinking your piece is "part" of a Bosun's Pipe/Whistle. Cool find!! HH, Charlie

OMG! :surprised: You are right! It's half of the buoy of a whistle. I had seen some of these in my searches but was looking at it wrong. I'm now going to try to narrow down the time era it possibly came from. Also I'm going back to see if I can find the other half or other parts of it. THANK YOU!!! Charlie HH! :)

You are very welcome HvacDude ! I enjoyed having my memory awakened of my 29 months of US Navy duty as a Tin Can Sailor 60 years ago! HH, Charlie

Thank You for your service! What time frame were you in service and what wars if any? Stationed in any cool places?

My best Buddy and I signed up for 8 yrs. Naval Reserve in Aug. 54, flew to Great Lakes , Chicago, for "13 days" Boot Camp and went active duty 3 years after graduating HS, in May 55. I went on board the U.S.S. Taussig DD746 for a couple of Far East Cruises. My buddy went on board the Carrier U.S.S. Bennington. It was so called "Peacetime" but if you research all the declassified material that has now been released you will find that it was far from that. We spent a good part of one cruise looking for survivors of a plane shoot down and recovering one body and locating the plane wreckage (sonar). There were many such losses of our planes and people but much of it was pretty much kept unknown. Pretty much then as it is today. "Peacetime" was B.S. HH Charlie

Ive heard those many times and never knew what they looked like... as soon as i read what it was i could hear that sound in my head... learn something new every day...

This is what one looks like with all the parts... I'm going back to see if I can find more of it as soon as the weather will let me.

Good find!
Yes, a whistle... And it's not easy to do whistle. I also served in the Navy, the Spanish. I still hear ringing in my head ... great memories.
:cheers::usan: