Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

:unsure:Maybe I'll put my AT Pro in a bathtub full of water and check for leaks

Does this sound like a good test? I haven't had it in the water yet and I HATE suprises if any problems develop. I'd rather find out now if my unit is defective before I hit the lakes. I'd rather send it back while I'm busy with work and school the next few weeks. Maybe leave it in the tub in my spare bathroom for say 24 hours and turn it in different positions every few hours or so and then turn it on and test it out.

Ya why not . Better to find out now than later went you drive a hour to a honey hole and
find out the hard way.

Yes now that would be a good test,possibly more than Garrett does. I used to test tanks by filling them with air and submerging them and checking for air bubbles. To bad we don't know how Garrett does it in the factory. Maybe they should have a valve and meter and put air pressure in them so we could check to see if they lost pressure before we use them in the water. Then if we see pressure loss we'll know not to submerge them and send them back for checkups. But on the other hand seeing that everyone is worried if putting a bit of silicone lube on their plugs voiding there warranty I would shy away from a 24hr test. The warranty covers "normal" use and in all honestly "normal" isn't being submerged for 24 hours straight and that will constitute abuse. If they said the housing was shatter proof and you found a crack and sent it in for replacement would you then roll over it with your car to check if the repaired one was shatter proof? I know your trying to check your machine and you have every right to do that at home. But I really don't think that submerging it for 24 hours proves anything except your trying to find fault in your machine. Why don't you just toss it in a lake for 24hrs instead and test it under "real" conditions? And then be honest and tell Garrett that you left it for 24 hours in a lake and it leaked (or didn't) and if it does leak see what they say about their warranty then. They might disappoint you. Normal conditions of use are not a 24hr submerged test. Placing it in water that long is abnormal. If your going to do that you might as well submerge it for a week and not just 24 hours. I really think you might void your warranty if you did this a was honest and told them what you did. You want Garrett to be honest with you and they deserve the same honesty from the owners. Your warranty covers your detector under normal use and doing this they might have the right to claim that being submerged for 24 hours isn't considered normal use...that is unless your Aqua-man. Just be careful if you decide to do this. There's a very thin line between "normal" and "abuse", just as thin as the one between "honestly" and "dishonesty". Having it leak is one thing your covered with if it does. Making it leak or trying to make it leak is another.
Whatever you decide to do is your business and I hope your machine has no problems. Just be careful when you do. Happy Hunting and Best Regards, Woodstock

I think its a very good idea to test it....but like Woodstock said, I would not submerge it for 24 hours that would be excessive for any detector. Go and have some fun...give it a try for about an hour in a nearby lake, thats plenty of time...thats all it took for mine to start acting up.

I do not see anything dishonest about doing a test like that. I dont see how someone would consider that abuse either. If a detector is advertised as waterproof then it should be weather its in the water for 10 minutes or 10 days. The AT Pro is advertised to be waterproof to 10ft. Anyone who does a lot of water hunting will put a lot more than 24 hours on the detector in the water. Abuse to me would be trying to submerge it at depths greater than 10 ft to try and make it leak on purpose.

There probably aren't any treasures in your tub, and the water and machine will probably be the same temperature, so a leak is highly unlikely.

http://www.findmall.com/read.php?79,1485564,1485564#msg-1485564

OK, that would indeed void your warranty having it below 10 feet. But Garrett isn't there watching everyone so if you have had it past 10 feet and it leaked I'm sure you wouldn't tell them that you ruined it in that manner. I really believe that if you think you can submerse it for 10 days then your asking for problems and Garrett shouldn't cover that. Sure you can say through the season that it's been in the water for more than 24 hours, but not at one time. I think some of us understand this and others don't. It is waterproof and if it leaks under normal use then it's covered by the warranty, but normal use isn't submerging it for 24 hours or 10 days like you suggest it should be. I understand your point completely about what it says when it's water proof it should be, but under normal conditions and normal isn't a 10 day soaking. If all the AT Pro's were individually checked for 24 hours it would be time consuming and drive there prices higher than they are. It's more efficient to check one off the line now and then. Then if a leakier is discovered the whole lot that was run that day would have to be rechecked and I'm sure that Garrett does this because it's good business practise. Even auto manufactures give a 100,000 miles warranty on the drive trains. But it doesn't give the owner the right to max the RPM's till the engine blows and claim a faulty drive train. Those warranty's cover conditions of normal use and it's easy to tell when something has been pushed to it's max or over.
Back to the water proof issue. Not even users of top of the line water proof machines have them in the water for 24 hours straight or 10 days like you suggest because it's just not normal. Sure those machines can take it but they were designed for diving and really are built for it and they paid more for that extra protection. The AT Pro is a multi purpose detector that is water proof to ten feet max when you choose to use it on beaches and docks. If then it develops a leak problem it's covered under warranty and will be fixed or replaced by manufactures choice. Garrett will soon revise there manual and warranty if tests like this continue. It's going to say something like this."Garrett guarantee's the AT Pro to be water proof to 10 feet under normal conditions with proper setup and maintenance." Then when you send a leakier in it'll be their decision if it's covered by the warranty and know one wants that. If your goal is to have a completely water proof machine then look at other machines and forsake all the extra's you get with the AT Pro has to offer. If the At Pro isn't completely water proof and leaks they'll fix it. I've had other machines that leaked under warrenty and when I sent them in for repairs the "other F" company refused to fix it for free because they deternened that I didn't have the seals tightened correctly, we're all lucky Garrett hasn't implied this yet and I hope they never will. But believe me the "F" company will as offen as they can. I then it costs labor to repair and parts and they're not out to loose money. But to Garrett this isn't an issue.
Again it's the owners call. Mine is one of the thousands sold that are water proof with no issues. And I don't ever plan on sinking it for 24 hours or 10 days to find a leak. But I'm only in water now and then and for only a few hours, this to me is normal use. If one does happen I send it in for repairs. Anyone else can do whatever they need to prove it to themselves but that time length is excessive it me and I wouldn't attempt it nor complain if I ruined it purposely by taking it out of the terms of normal use. Please don't try to convince me that 24 hours or 10 days at one time is normal use, sure 24 hours over a period of time would be considered normal. I sure glad that Garrett didn't say bomb proof or some of you would be blowing them up to be sure they were. Happy Hunting and Happy Trails to All and (good luck with your over extended tests) Woodstock

I personally think it is a good idea... maybe not for 24 hours, but that would show up any large leaks. If it leaks in bathtub depth water, there is obviously a problem. Much less pressure at 6 inches than at 8 feet.
HH
Darren

Just take your ATP and get out there and hunt!! Just ease it in and have a good time. If it leaks, it's gonna leak in the lake same as your tub!! I've submerged mine several times and it works like a charm. If you're wading, chances are you're never gonna get it wet too much over a foot. If you're gonna dive which I wouldn't suggest with the ATP cuz it floats(kinda like wrestling an octopus under water), ease it in and let the case and components aclimate to the water first. Life's too short to worry about what MIGHT happen. Lube the 3 seals(just the seals and nothing else) with a tiny bit of silicone grease and go enjoy yourself!!

My AT-Pro is in the shop now for water leaks.

They developed after 4 to 6 times in a fresh water lake.

Average time in lake each outing was about 5 hours.

I'm not sure the bathtub test will help you much in the long run other then prove it doesn't (or does) leak after a few hours in the water.

I now consider this MD water resistant not water proof and when returned if I keep it will treat it as such.

I think soaking it for 24 hours is overkill and IMHO you will probably be waiting for it to dry out so you can send it back to Garrett.

The mistake I made was thinking I had a true "WP" MD at low cost when I didn't.

Bought a used water machine (TS) to solve my problem, no bells and whistles, just waterproof and built like a tank.

Good Hunting

Denny

I think I'll just give it a whirl at the lake. If it leaks it leaks and if it does then I'll just send it in like everyone else that had the problem. I bought it primarily to waterhunt. I got a later serial number so hopefully all will be well.

Thanks for all the feedback.

Best of hunts to everyone

Jim

Hi All. Just got my fourth unit back from Garrett and this time they kept it in a pressure tank for 3 days and a hot water tank for 2 days. They are trying to make sure they get me a unit that holds up. Their service is hands down the greatest I have ever encountered. After the first couple problems I could have nuked, but I think it is better to explain the problem to them, send the detector in and let them repair it. In my opinion they could not be better at customer service. Can't wait to get out tomorrow and try this one! Just wanted everyone to know the guarantee id genuine and they do test their machines under pressure and even in hot water to try to prevent a problem. Give them time and cooperate with them and they will get the bugs out! Earl Johnson.

I think you could dunk it for a couple hours in the tub just to satisfy yourself, but like John said(moderator) temp being the same? I guess when u get to a cold water lake and the temp is hot outside , thats where the best test is. Lots of good responses on this thread . The laws of physics rule here. If its a 1000 degreeze out side and u dunk the detector in the cold water lake I guess its gonna take a sh_t on U. Lots of good information on here best of luck to U.

erjtej said:
Hi All. Just got my fourth unit back from Garrett and this time they kept it in a pressure tank for 3 days and a hot water tank for 2 days. They are trying to make sure they get me a unit that holds up. Their service is hands down the greatest I have ever encountered. After the first couple problems I could have nuked, but I think it is better to explain the problem to them, send the detector in and let them repair it. In my opinion they could not be better at customer service. Can't wait to get out tomorrow and try this one! Just wanted everyone to know the guarantee id genuine and they do test their machines under pressure and even in hot water to try to prevent a problem. Give them time and cooperate with them and they will get the bugs out! Earl Johnson.

Time and cooperate?!? What about all your lost time hunting and shipping cost? 4 times is crazy....Id sell it as fast as I could get rid of it. I have lost a week of prime water hunting so far waiting on mine to be returned. If it fails in the water a second time it will be like that old tire commercial where the lady throws the tire thru the business's window. I dont have the patience of some of you...when I pay nearly $600 for something I expect it to perform as advertised....Period! If not....give me my money back Ill buy a different model.

A tub really won't be a fair test, although it would indicate a manufacturing problem off the bat.

When you use a detector, you swing it, bump it, jostle it, expose it to direct sunlight, shade, breezes, changing temperatures, pressure on the display plate and button panels as you press the buttons, and actual water if you use it in the water for searching. Any of those things could expose 'seal' problems, or even cause them. If you soak the thing for 24 hours or whatever in the tub and then go out use it in water and it craps out because of any of the above combination of factors, you'll probably be that much more upset.

In addition, if there is a seal problem, it very well could have been caused by being soaked in the tub, but if it shows up later, you won't know what the cause was anyway and you'll still have to send it back.

Go swing the thing and find some treasure, in my opinion!

- Muddyshoes

I didn't read anything that said "Time and Cooperate" the discussion was about testing the returned repaired machines for leaks. I wouldn't want a machine that leaked four times myself. That being said, if 96 or 97% have had no issues and 2% that get them repaired have no other problems, then the 1% that do should get new and tested machines from Garrett. But what I can see from your reply that you should even bother turning your repaired machine on when you get it back, just sell it. At this point I don't believe you'll even be satisfied if you get a perfect machine back. And I may have missed something in the guarantee or warranty that says you can get your money back. If I missed that please point it out and ask for your money back. But if your so displeased with the AT Pro sell it and buy a different model. About the cost of the machine. Yes $600 is an investment and I'd expect it to perform as advertised too. But if it doesn't I'd expect Garrett to make it right and they have and will if that does happen. Just remember that they don't comply perfectly when repairs are needed and like to place the fault on the operator to void free repairs, and they have longer turn around times. I've paid well over a grand and had those issues happen to me and had to pay out of pocket for the repairs. If when yours returns you find it still leaks then call Garrett and vent like you did here and ask for a new machine and I bet you'll get one within a week that works as it should. But if your so displeased with the AT Pro then just sell it and move on cause I'm sure there be something else you won't like with the new one.Move on friend cause you anger will now blurr any rational decision you will make and you already have a bad taste of Garrett, find a different perfect machine and save yourself a self induced headache. But I do hope you get a perfect Garrett AT Pro back, use it or sell it, or toss it threw a window cause it the end it's your call. Sorry your so upset. HH Woodstock

So what part of detector is taking on water? I'm heading to beach in a month and want to know all about this. I will take my Ace 250 as a backup.

The issue is the control box and it's ability (or inability) to remain sealed and keep water out when submerged. As John mentioned, I'm inclined to suspect that the problem becomes more likely during extreme and rapid changes in temperature before and after a "dunk" which might cause the housing material to expand and/or contract. Others have speculated too, that it could be an issue relating to the seals at the point of the headphone, coil and battery compartment locations.

- Muddyshoes