Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Unusual Find at a Cavalry Site

Nemo

My partner and I hunted a Cavalry site a few weeks back and we recently returned. I found an unusual key made from a spoon. In looking more closely I realized the spoon was engraved with 2 letters "A" and "P" written in Spencerian script. There is no way to tell if the spoon comes from the Civil War or not. I suspect it's not.

Spencerian Script is a script style that flourished in the United States from 1850 to 1895. This script form of writing became the standard across the United States and remained so until the 1920s. It was gradually replaced with the simpler Palmer Method.
Most of you are too young to remember receiving "Palmer Pins" from your teachers as a reward for hours of handwriting practice of the Palmer Penmanship Method. I unfortunately do.

Anyway unusual find .

Dave Poche

What we will likely never know is, did AP make this or have it made or was it just scrap that somebody made into a key?

My aunt has a whole set of initialed silverwear that she collected over several years in England. Not her initials but all kinds of initials and crests and shields bought here and there very cheaply at the time. It is a nice "set", all sterling, 92.5% I think.

Nice find

HH

WOW !! What an unusual find. If only it could talk. I'll bet it's story would be fascinating. That sure is a real "keeper".

I am interested in acquiring this piece if you would consider selling it. I have some spoons made into keys (but with the keys on the tips of the handles) & would like to have this small one to go with them. Please let me know. You can email me at rocnarmood at hotmail.com. I post it because it is a junk email so if people steal it, I don't care about junk mail there. Thanks for please letting me know either way. Enjoyed your post.

Wow what a neat find. Makes you wonder what it opened.
Thanks for sharing,
Bunker

Searchin4Stuff,

If you have seen what I asked and do not have this spoon key anymore or have no desire to ever sell it, please let me know so that I may stop watching this thread & save myself from coming to look to see what was added (as it doesn't tell me what was added) & being disappointed. Thanks.