Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Unusual Ground Today

The finds weren't singing out in my normal 12K program; not sure why, but I was able to nab a few anyway. I think maybe years of fertilizer combined with a lot of iron may be the culprit on this site, but I'm still scratching my head. One of the IHPs is not a IHP. It's dated 1864 and appears (without research) to be some sort of steamboat token....will post details if I find any. Also, I went years without finding a barber quarter and I've been lucky enough to have found several this year already :)

EDIT: I can find reference's to Ward's Lake Superior Line Steamer Planet (back of IHP), but can't find any pictures....value seems to be up there too.
Can someone please copy and post the two images from this website because neither of my browsers will display the image: http://legacy.stacks.com/Lot/ItemDetail/73173 Thank you!

Found this too: http://www.civilwartokens.com/Listing/Details/668729/241-MI225CJa1a-R7-EF-Lake-Superior-Steamer-Detroit-Civil-War-token

Nice haul Beep! Barbers, Mercs, Buffs, and Indians would be a treat in and of themselves on a single hunt, but all in one hunt--WOW! That token is really cool--just think what life was like during the time it was in use. Congratulations and thanks for sharing. ---Cladiator

p.s.- I didn't have any luck getting the token image to display either.

That is a great token!

Just curious Beepsilver, was the GB unusually low or was the mineralization strong or fluctuating at that site ?

I used 80, which is what I typically use in my area. Even on this site, the ground reading averaged at 80 with no blips of mineralization to the right. I tried 90, but there was no change in effect. I kept an eye out for changes in ground, but didn't see any. My best guess is there was simply more iron and trash targets combined with, what I suspect was frequent fertilization. Although, having looked at my finds, only the zincolns and aluminum showed signs of excessive corrosion, so I'm not entirely certain fertilizer played a roll.

The ground has become dryer over the past 2 weeks, so maybe that's a variable. EMI was no different than at other adjacent/local sites.

I'll be going back to the site tomorrow and we're expecting rain today, so that'll give me one piece of info to rule out or include, as the case may be.

I sold the token on eBay today: http://www.ebay.com/itm/291455786547?ssPageName=STRK:MESOX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1561.l2649

After looking at other websites, I had no idea how much my token would sell for....I'm happy with the outcome. I don't mind parting with tokens, but my actual "coin" finds will never get sold :)

I think you did well with the token sale. I'll sell all my toasty silver and most all gold jewelry I find....although I have not found a lot of jewelry lately! Been to busy relic hunting.....LOL!

I noticed your In Nebraska? I got my first Silver Dollar 1922 Peace at Chautauqua Park in Beatrice, July 2011. I was given a tip from a guy from Marysville area in Kansas who is a quadriplegic who detects from his chair! Anyway, I went to the spot he told me about and got my Silver Dollar and several other silvers there over several hunts.

BerntOut said:
I think you did well with the token sale. I'll sell all my toasty silver and most all gold jewelry I find....although I have not found a lot of jewelry lately! Been to busy relic hunting.....LOL!

I noticed your In Nebraska? I got my first Silver Dollar 1922 Peace at Chautauqua Park in Beatrice, July 2011. I was given a tip from a guy from Marysville area in Kansas who is a quadriplegic who detects from his chair! Anyway, I went to the spot he told me about and got my Silver Dollar and several other silvers there over several hunts.

Yes, I've been in Nebraska ever since I retired from the Air Force at Offutt AFB. Nice job on the Peace dollar...still looking for one!