Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Update on the little "new guy"...

Art SC

Hey Gang,

Here's a little update on the new kid in the family pack...

Tucker is doing great! He got his shots last weekend. I'm used to Golden Retrievers who have an extremely high pain tolerance and never even notice little nuisances like briars, insect bites or medical injections. Let me tell ya...Tucker didn't like it at all! We took him in to Banfield (the PetsMart Vet) as a walk-in because we wouldn't be able to get his second set of puppy shots until the first week in August if we'd waited for the Post Army Vet. So at least that's out of the way for a few weeks. Tucker actually went to sleep on the counter waiting on the Vet. He can literally sleep anywhere and in any position.
[attachment 31409 TuckerSleepsAnywhereSm.jpg]

Tucker's crate training is going most excellent. He often just goes in there on his own to "rest" or play with his toys. He especially likes his Kong toy, chewies and his Monkey, which he tears into pretty regularly! :unsure:
[attachment 31406 TuckerampMonkeySm.jpg]

House training is going pretty well, although he fools us at times when we aren't attentive and we sometimes end up finding an accident in the back rooms to clean up. Since this is always our fault, there's nothing to do but clean it up and drive on. :shrug:

The little guy 100% on his name recognition and recall commands ("Tucker, Here!"). No matter where in the house or yard he is he comes running as fast as his little legs will carry him. And, for HIM, that's some pretty good mileage! He doesn't jump on us at all and he now automatically sits to be petted and before he eats his meals. (Note: Jumping up, mouthing skin or clothing and continuous barking are all "No-No's" to remember with ANY puppy. Such behavior is all too often taught/rewarded/reinforced to puppies by humans, albeit unitentially, and THEN they want their dog trained to STOP it! :stars: ) He always waits for us to lead him out and in the door. This will be important to prevent any bolting or possible running off outside and general leash pulling later, as well.

Tucker has JUST started to paw the door to go outside. He's been pawing to come INSIDE for about a week now. He does still try to jump up to get some of the older dogs' food at their feed times, but the dishes are elevated and thus too high for him to get into. I'm correcting this behavior and replacing it as it presents itself. Tucker's formal puppy obedience training won't begin until mid-August. Shelle will be his "handler." This will also be Shelle's first attempt at Operant Conditioning (aka clicker training). :geek:

Tucker stills tries to herd the cats into corners and TJ down the hall (TJ is incredibly tolerant of him), but has learned it doesn't pay to try it with Holly or Danny. He's also learned TJ will play and wrestle with him several times a day but, again, Holly and Danny will have NONE of that! All three WILL now let Tucker lay beside them, even on their legs or tails. But nipping is an absolute "no go" with those two and Tucker doesn't even try now.
[attachment 31407 TuckerampUnclesTJampDannySm.jpg]

As I mentioned, most Goldens have very tough skin and a high pain tolerance but even TJ has his limits. So when Tucker decides he's going to go for an ear or lip, TJ will mouth him with a controlled bite or simply flatten the puppy with his head till he squeals or calms down. This is normal "uncling-aunting" behavior within a pack and Tucker is beginning to learn bite control. But his bite is DEFINITELY harder than any Golden or Lab puppy I've ever known. I understand that this is a breed propensity for most herding dogs and especially Corgis, which were bred to herd cattle who have tough hooves and hocks. But, so far, TJ is doing a good job getting him to "play nice."
[attachment 31408 TuckerLearnstoPlayNiceSm.jpg]

Tucker is scheduled to be neutered sometime in October. He turns 6 months old on November 6th and we want it done BEFORE then for sure! Corgis can get pretty agressive if not nuetered by that time! :blink:

Tucker's ears collapsed after standing fairly straight for one day after our taping experiment to get them to stand...but by the next morning...all droopy. :( We're going to try it again in his 12th week. While they were taped I thought he looked exactly like a KANGAROO! :rofl:
[attachment 31410 TuckertheKangarooSm.jpg]

We'll continue to try and keep you posted on significant events with the new baby...and post you either interesting or funny pictures as they occur!

Thanks for reading.