Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

upgrading with an Omega 8000! new member on this forum

I just bought a new Omega 8000, I had as my main machine an Ace 250. What do you think guys? I used to love my ace 250 but the recovery speed was too slow for me. Anyways, I know the Ace 250 with respect to depth with the 9 x 12 coil will compete with lots of 1000 dlls machines. However, I'm eager to learn the omega 8000 and it will hopefully be a good buy and upgrade too. I was a little bit undecided for the AT pro or Omega but after reading Monte's posts, I decided for the Omega. I can later buy a water machine.

I think you will really like the Omega. Just get out and use it and learn it. Don't know what kind of hunting you do, but just go easy on the sens and back it off if it seems to chatter on you......HH.....MO

Great choice. I have had an Omega for 6 months or so and love it. GREAT sound, GREAT depth, GREAT ergonomics, OK build.

The recovery speed is very quick, just behind that of the T2 (judging by the numbers). The Omega I prefer for coins (many have said the same) and the T2 is a better relic machine.

I haven't used an Ace 250 but have read a lot on it as it's a common machine, but the Omega is really in another class. You basically got a detector that is within an inch or at most 2 of the very high end units and substantially less money.

I believe you will really like the Omega. For coins and jewelry, it is tough to beat at its price. Did you get any other coils with it? Just curious, as the 11" DD gets great depth and is outstanding in the trash. Good luck and enjoy. HH jim tn

Hpe you really enjoy the Omega. I've had mine for nearly 12 months. and still love it and am still learning. I'm sure it will give you a lot of nice surprises.

terry-cola said:
I just bought a new Omega 8000.
Did you buy only the standard Omega with the elliptical concentric coil, or did you also get one or two other coils? I like the Omega and Gamma and Delta with their stock coils, but there are times when I want to use the larger 11" DD coil, but more often the smaller 5" DD coil gets called into action. It really matters if you hunt a lot of trashy sites or those with confined areas, such as a lot of brush, building rubble, etc.

terry-cola said:
I had as my main machine an Ace 250. What do you think guys?
The Garrett Ace 250 was a very good offering from Garrett at the right time because they needed something in a lower price range to be competitive. They haven't had a decent mid-line or upper-end model to compete with what most manufactures have been offering, but the Ace 250 did a good job hitting that lower-price group.

What I think is the Ace 250 is an 'OK' detector, especially for someone who is a novice now and doesn't plan to excel to a status of being a more involved and more active hobbyists. The Omega will provide a lot of performance and functional features not found on the Ace 250, so i is a definite 'upgrade.'

terry-cola said:
I used to love my ace 250 but the recovery speed was too slow for me.
That was/is one of the issues I don't like. Most Garrett's have been that way for a long time, and so are the White's Prizm's (except 6T) and the renamed versions called the Coinmaster. Other brands have also offer models that have the delayed response and slower recovery rate. I sold an Ace 250 to me #2 some when he was 34 and he still uses it, but he's only an occasional hobbyists and doesn't study up on detectors. My oldest plans to go with a Teknetics Delta this spring, unless he move up a model. I let him use my Delta which is also a turn-on-and-go detector with a preset Ground balance, but it has a quicker response and additional features than the Ace 250.

terry-cola said:
Anyways, I know the Ace 250 with respect to depth with the 9 x 12 coil will compete with lots of 1000 dlls machines.
I know I used it along with a few Garrett models offered when it came out and there was only a mi9nor difference in detection depth. the Ace 250 did okay. I wouldn't match it against some of my favorite detectors, but it's also a low-cost offering.

terry-cola said:
However, I'm eager to learn the omega 8000 and it will hopefully be a good buy and upgrade too. I was a little bit undecided for the AT pro or Omega but after reading Monte's posts, I decided for the Omega. I can later buy a water machine.
I finished my evaluation of the AT Pro and posted it on our society's forum. In fairness I will say it is a step in the right direction from Garrett in that they have added some adjustment functions others have been offering for quite some time. Things like Ground Grab and manual Ground Balance and VDI numbers and a broad Iron Discrimination range, like the T2, G2, Omega and Gamma. It has some weaknesses, however, and lacks adjustments and modes found on the Omega and the others mentioned.

Just take your time. Work with it patiently. I'd suggest using the d1 or d2 Tone ID unctions to get a better idea of what it offers. that would be closer to what the AT Pro provided with the 'PRO' (proportional) setting. Use the highest Sensitivity you can tolerate and the least Discrimination. Ask questions here. I think it will produce well for you.

Monte

Monte. - you mention that you would not match the Ace 250 up against your favorite detectors. I would love to know what you like in the used detector market under 300 dollars and also in the under 600 dollar range. I am considering the F4 - Delta 4000 - Silver uMax - Minelab 305 in under 300 dollar range for my daughter. She mostly hunts in parks and once a month gets down to the beach to look for watches and rings. She even goes out looking for meteorites every now and then. She currently uses my old Garrett GTAx 400. The under 600 dollar machine is for me and all I have looked at is the F70 - Omega 8000 - Minelab Explorer XS. I would love to go along with her and hunt similar items. Thanks for having such a great forum - Rich.

The Silver uMax would be a good choice if she was only hunting in parks/tot lots but as it doesn't have a manual gb its not going to work that well on wet sand, if the Delta is anything like the Omega it will be very easy to set up and use but like the Silver it doesn't have manual gb, I don't know anything at all about the F4 and all I know about the Minelabs is they are supposed to be heavy, have a slow refresh rate and poor customer service if something goes wrong. For you all I can comment on is the Omega, I've only had mine less than a week and have only been able to hunt with it one time but I really like it, the tones and notch options are really nice, I had never used a manual gb before but I had no problem using the ground grab to set the gb balance. Hope this helps. Jimmie

Hi Bart: You say the Omega 8000 is a big upgrade over the Ace 250. At three times the price it should be. By the way I own both.....Jack