Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

:usaflag: As Promised Here Is a Look At The Straight Shaft I built For My Infinium :detecting:

Cupajo

[attachment 130484 100_0006.JPG]

The shaft is aluminum and I find it very comfortable to use both in the water and on land.

Take a look at how I anchored the coil in place at the angle I prefer.

[attachment 130485 100_0011.JPG]

The brace is 1/2"pvc plastic pipe cut at an angle that will allow it to mate to the lower shaft and a couple of holes allow the brace to be secured with two electrical plastic ties and a bit of electrical tape.

The brace is very sturdy and I will often use the coil and shaft to help me ballance as I place my weight on the scoop.

It has just enough drag to keep my coil swing moving at a nice pace.

I've used this method for many years and it has worked very well.

GL&HH Friends,

CJ

PS The yellow coating is the rubber tool handle material I have used many years to reduce the scuffing that wears out coil bottoms.

Cupajo, Great idea with the tool coating on the coil!!! I was going to paint the mono coil yellow to see it in the water (this kills 2 birds with one stone)!!!
Thanks!!!

I used a throw away brush and thinned the stuff with Touline (Sp?) just enough to spread it on evenly.

Be sure there is plenty of ventilation!

Two or three coats will do a nice job of scuff proofing the coil.

Regards,

CJ

Guys, I have a question, here goes: I understand why you want to protect your coil, does not the plastic coil covers hold up for a good period of time? I am just starting to water detect and am curious as to why the plastic guard cover is not used.

Gerry, WA

I preffer to use coil covers myself, but you don't get coil covers with the Infinium. The ones that you buy are no good for the beach/water. I used boat varnish on mine, not sure how it will hold up.

I had an old mountain bike that was headed to re-cycling and removed the bar grips it had for climbing and used them on the two shafts I built.

CJ

I started detecting over 25 years ago and the equipment I used didn't have covers available.

Necesity being the mother of invention gave birth to this idea (actually a hunter Friend told me how he was using the stuff)

Once it is coated the coil will only need an occasional touch-up and the wear is no longer an issue.

CJ

Gudday CJ,
Straight shaft looks good, I don't know if there any suppliers here in OZ but I'm a thinking of designing one soon
as my old excalibur will be replaced soon. I just bought a Bounty Hunter and have been toying with the idea of a
straight shaft as I have found that my forearm is a little uncomfortable with the factory made arm rest so there
must be a better way to be comfortable out in the field.
Good solution for the coil, what I have done is silconed 4mm perpex to the sole of the coil and it's been on there for at least
4yrs now.
Anyway gotta go now so HH and good luck.
aushunter:ausflag::minelab::bounty:

Perpex?

Is it the same as lucite or plexiglass?

Thanks for the info anyway Friend!

GL&HH Fellow Hunter,

CJ

Hi aushunter mate i built a straight shaft for my sovereign with no probs you can buy a piece of alum.tube and a minelab cam lock from miners den [mitchum] and i bought a n adjustable handel fro them also .i can email ya some photos if yopu want .terry in oz:ausflag:

Gudday CJ
Over here in OZ, perpex is a durable plastic.
I have never heard of lucite or plexiglass, maybe they are the same thing and we Aussies are are a bit crazy with naming things:rofl:
If anyone can post a few photos etc, maybe I can design a real comfortable straight shaft, ergonomics.
Terry from OZ, definetly post the straight shaft configuration, it would be greatly appreciated.
HH everyone and cheers
aushunter:ausflag::minelab::bounty:

Hi aushunter,

That plastic looks like the two plastics I mentioned.

They are very durable and should work well for this application!

Thanks for your pictures and info Friend!

CJ

I intentionally made the shaft longer than one might normally use.

I take small steps and swing the coil over a long, slow arc and cover a lot of ground with the machine this way.

Arthritis in my right (working) hand has been bothering me for a while now and the new shaft has been a blessing!

Thanks for your interest and posts Friends,

CJ