Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Used 505 on the way

DetectorOCD

I've had a staggering 15 detectors in 3 years. I have never once tried a Minelab. I was looking for something that wasn't too chatty like the Teknetics machines but also had threshold, deep on silver, and was very light. I think this is the ticket! I will use it mostly for older parks but I might look into a HF coil for tot lots and general jewelry hunting to compliment my Compadre. Right now I am sporting the CZ-21 and Compadre. The 505 is out of warranty but if it breaks I don't mind sending it in for repairs. I have heard a lot of good things about them but I am concerned that the numbers will throw me off since I am used to a more 0-100 scale.

Just learn the audio, the same as with your other two detectors, and you'll be fine. The numbers are only additional information if you decide to use it.

And the return rate for Xterras is extremely low, so the probability of having to send it in is not likely.

Welcome to the Xterra family!

Be sure to download Randy's book. It's worth more than any other resource, and it's FREE!

I have the 505 as a backup to my 705 and have only used it once after I bought it just to try it out. It is a great machine and was so similar to the 705 that I almost forgot I was using it instead of the 705. The numbers are a little different but you will get used to it. You will love the fact that it is so light that you can swing it all day if you choose to. You will also appreciate the stability and the noice cancel will pretty much put a stop to all the chattiness like you have with the Tek. If you can pick up the 6 inch DD HF coil for your tot lot hunts, I predict the Compadre will end up in a closet somewhere.

Congrats! The X-Terra is a different animal than the other detectors you've tried. It's a bit of a learning curve, but there is really nothing better for the price. I love my 505 & don't worry, it wont break! I bought mine used as well. I've had it for 1 year ago today actually, and it still works just great. The 505 and X-Terra's in general, are super reliable. Rarely do you hear of one needing repair. I use the 18.75 khz 6" DD and it is super sensitive to small gold and the separation in trashy sites is awesome. I have a vial that contains about 1 grain of gold flakes, the 505 will hit on it (in air) at about 3/4". BTW for one .99 cent 4-pack of Sony alkalines AA's, I get around 25 hours detecting time. Now that's a cheap date! My last detector got 10-15 hours from a single $4 9 volt battery. Keep us posted! HH, Scott

The 505 came today. I love the tones! I can't wait to get some real field testing with it. I was concerned that the threshold would annoy me but it is pretty mild after all. Of course it has to rain all week. Arghh! Anyway, I am happy to be a member of the Minelab family now :)

HH

Congrats on trying a ML finally! I just got a 705 and this is my new favorite machine! The audio is as good as the Etrac and the target separation better IMO. Especially with the 6" digger coil. Love this lightweight coin magnet!