Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Used Detector ... ???

I've been toying with the idea of buying an F70 or F75 - spending upwards of $500. Have had several suggestions to look at a used detector. So - is it safe to buy a used detector? I wouldn't buy one that is all banged up but if in good looking condition would you buy one?

If you would what are some used detectors that you would want?

I will be using it to hunt old farm sites, old rural schools, coin shooting at parks, possibly old forts and battle grounds. Looking for a machine that is known for depth - hence my leaning toward an F70 or F75.

Any input would be helpful. Once my taxes are done - ugh - I can figure out what I can afford.

Plenty do, I did and have no issues.
No warranty on second hand Fishers, however.

Again, that Patriot is going to be offered for $399 new once they get their website problems corrected.
That is an F70.
Right now with that coming out and the Anniversary F75 at $500 paying for a new F70 at current retail is...silly.

Both machines are good but if I was going for one or the other I would put the F70 at the top of the list. The only reason I would go for the F70 is the SL boost processor, the F75std gold shaft does not have any kind of boost processor.

I have bought a lot more used detectors than new and only got one bad one a Fisher 1270. That one I had to pack it up and send it back to the mother ship FT for a $135 repair.

Just try to check them out before you buy.

Ron in WV

It's not at all difficult to find slightly used essentially new F75se2 machines out there under or at your $500 ceiling. Why not have all the bells and whistles to satisfy the curiosity? The DST makes them even more fun to use and the depth is legendary. If the rumor of Fisher introducing a new machine comes to fruition there will be even more flagship 75's on the market with people bitten by the upgrade bug , might as well take advantage of the opportunity it has already created.

The old gold handled F75 is deep. But its a noisy bugger. Most folks can't get used to it. The DST does settle the F75 down at about 2 inches of lost depth. With the re-purposing of old units I would say look at the patriot. But the F75 has some mighty fine programs such as boost process.

I prefer new machines, with warranty. I support my dealers as I want them to be there when and if I need a new coil or machine.

Now as for a beaten up looking detector. My old gold handled looks like it was dropped over a cliff, and it was. I send it in for a check up regularly when I am hunting with it. I use my equipment and wouldn't sell it short of a emergency. Just know your seller if you buy used. Lot of fakes out there and fly by night guys. Lot of scams out there too.

I've bought probably 50 or more used detectors. Only one had to be returned to the manufacture (Tesoro) for repair. That's back when Tesoro warrantied them used or new so I only had to pay for shipping to them. They even paid the return shipping. So I wouldn't hesitate to buy a used detector. Just make sure it looks to be is very good to excellent condition. A detector tor that has been dropped all the time and just not taken cafe of is a good sign that it's been abused. I can't believe the number of people that list their detector for sale and don't even bother cleaning it up first. Those are the same folks that never took care of it to begin with.