Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Used the Fors CoRe the last few days.

OregonGregg

Went to an old site these last couple days with Monte. For the last couple days, I used the CoRe only. Sure is a nice machine to use.

My settings were Di3, Sensitivity 85 and ID Mask at 10. I used the 5.5 x10 coil the whole time. managed to get a few good keepers this weekend.

Saturday the CoRe got me a couple IH pennies, 1900 & 1906 and a nice Trade Token. Today it was a couple more Trade Tokens and a nice 1908 Barber Dime.

Machines may come and go in the future but the Fors CoRe will be staying. :)

That's why I keep two of them, as well as two Relic's, with favorite coils mounted and ready to go. You had two very good days afield and I can only figure one-out-of-two as my Saturday went well at that site. I was going to work my CoRe w/5X9½ DD in open areas then Relic w/5" DD in the more iron inhabited sections, but felt an urge to work a long-time favorite, an XLT w/6½" Concentric, and I did well on Saturday, also. Actually, my success was OK on Saturday but, physically, I didn't do as well because I spent several hours with the XLT and that's a lot of me these days. I should have switched off to a better balanced unit and grabbed my CoRe or Relic. My neck and shoulder told me so later.

I was envious of your two Indian Head Cents, from the same hole, as I haven't found one yet this year. :( I did manage two more Wheat-Back Cents, a '36-s and '37-s, and '43 silver Mercury Dime plus this damaged but more rare Trade Token.

Our adventures will continue in just ten more days on the 8th WTHO to Wells, Nevada.

Monte

I love the grip on these machines and the 2 buttons (pinpoint and ground balance) are ideally placed for me.

Nice finds. I'm impressed at the condition of the old copper coins in your ground. They don't fare well around here at all. The ground composition is murder on our evil steel core clad as well. I have a few pictures coming up of my latest hunts with the core and some of the Canadian clad I find is almost unrecognizable because of heavy rust.

Hi Mike, yes I agree, I think the Fors Core has some of the best balance and ergonomics a machine could have. The condition of the coins coming outta the ground in my area old sites are very good for the most part, the ground is pretty forgiving. Siver especially comes out very nice. Pennies and nickels are about a 50/50, some come out nice and others don't. But for the most part, these old desert ghost towns are pretty forgiving on old coins.

Our ground seems OK on older (read more noble) coins as well but wait til you see the recent 2000+ clad that I got out of the school ground. The CoRe is a very decent machine for picking up our nickel plated steel coins but to see them pop out of the ground in an advanced state of decay after just a few years is really frustrating. I had to throw about 1/4 of the lot in the bin. I know our government wants to save money in any way possible but making coins out of steel is pathetic. I feel for the Canadian detectorists of the future. The coins they will pop out will be round pieces of crumbling rust.

I spent the bulk of my life living in the Portland Oregon metro area and did a lot of Coin Hunting at all the typical sites. Finding Canadian coins used to me more frequent than the last fifteen years but there are still a lot of them that find their way into the USA, often getting mixed into our change. Back in the latter '60s and through the '70s I could still find a lot of the Canadian coins made of better quality metal, but much of what is out there now does come out on the uglier side if it's the nickel or steel composition coins.

Here in the USA most of our coins are of more noble metal alloy except the Zinc Cent. Those came out for part of the 1981 penny mintage and all of them since '82. I have found current-year Zinc cents in unfavorable ground that were already eaten around the edges and/or pitted ... even eaten all the way through. That's our one terrible metal production coin today. Your coins up north, most of them, not only come out of the ground in pretty bad condition at times, but due to the magnetic metals used they can be more of a challenge to find and won't always give a nice-and-proper tight VDI read-out.

Yes, I think I like it better down here for several reasons and only wish we had $1 and $2 coins to find. :) You have an edge on us in that category! :thumbup:

Glad to hear she's still finding the goods for you.
As long as the machine works, use it!!

Monte said:
Here in the USA most of our coins are of more noble metal alloy except the Zinc Cent. Those came out for part of the 1981 penny mintage and all of them since '82. I have found current-year Zinc cents in unfavorable ground that were already eaten around the edges and/or pitted ... even eaten all the way through. That's our one terrible metal production coin today. Your coins up north, most of them, not only come out of the ground in pretty bad condition at times, but due to the magnetic metals used they can be more of a challenge to find and won't always give a nice-and-proper tight VDI read-out.

Yes, I think I like it better down here for several reasons and only wish we had $1 and $2 coins to find. :) You have an edge on us in that category! :thumbup:

In certain areas I can find a bunch of USA clad and I love it because it is so easy to identify. Clad quarters at 91-92 ultra stable in almost any ground. It's either that or a silver coin or jewelry. The dimes will ID lower but are ultra stable as well. That being said, the CoRe is the best machine I have used so far for getting Canadian clad. I'm sure I skip a few here and there that are on edge but I pick most of it out of the ground these days. I will pick up some trash as well in the process but at least it doesn't automatically identify our clad as iron like some other detectors. I'll have a post on that later on.

And yes, the loonies and toonies are more than welcomed but they are of course far less common than the small change.

Gregg What detector is that coil for? Is it a dd or con. notice it was white all nokta fors core coils are black.

Thanks Bill

It's for the Fors Gold. The Fors Gold had white coils and the Fors CoRe had black coils. They are basically same machines and the coils are interchangeable. I like white so got some of the white coils. Also the Fors Gold plus coils are interchangeable with the Fors Relic.

I have to chime in just to say the 5.5 fors gold+ concentric is sweet on my relic. It's the only concentric available for it.
I have no experience with the fors core so I can't really chime in besides to say I'm glad some coils can be switched between detectors.