Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Used the new Explorer 2 for the first time this weekend.Question...

iwearpro

Well I went from a Whites Prizm 3 to the new Minelab Explorer 2 and I must say they are for sure two different machines.
With all of the noises going on it was almost a tad frustrating at first. I noticed right off the bat that it was a little hard to get the detector to pinpoint very close....Does anyone else have this problem? I can pinpoint right on the money almost every time with the Prizm,but getting close is a challenge with the new Explorer.
I went to a park and used the Whites to locate a coin and than ran the explorer over the same spot to train my ears on the tones and see what it was reading on the display....I did come across a hole that someone had dug while detecting before I got there..Just for giggles I ran my Explorer over the hole and up pops 4 quarters,a nickle,2 dimes and 8 pennies..lol Someone must have sat there and lost all their change.lol

Does anyone have any words for me that my help me learn this thing a little better and get it to pinpoint any better.
I was going to pick up a 18" coil for the relic hunting and the 5" coil to try out......Anyone?

Your reference point is Minelab logo on coil. You have to find loudest noise east to west and mark that spot in your mind. Then shift coil 90 degress and do same North and South. Where these two spots meet is where your target lies directly under Minelab logo on coil. What you must keep in mind is in PP coil is hot from tip of coil to bottom of coil in center for approx. one inch. So a PP
bar on your DD coil looks like this ( || ) . You must find
<-----X-----> and then same at 90 degree angle from original position.
Hopefully this PP'ing with DD coil makes more sense now.

So basically you are saying sweep east to west,rotate and sweep north to south and the object should be under the minelab logo on the coil? In a nutshell that is..

:stretcher:I had the same problem when I first started with the EX11(jan 2006). I am down to a 3 inch square plug now if the target is 6 inches or less in depth. Deep targets past 8 I dig a bigger plug just to make it easier to find. Do the 90 degreee turn and mentally mark it like mentioned in the other post. If their are alot of targets pick the coil about a foot off the ground and slowly lower it untill you hit the first signal. Dig that that one and go for the next. Thats another tip that helped my out alot. Now that I am alot more use to it this is a great machine to work with.
still more to learn..
jimb

yeah where those two lines intersect is exact location + of object.
Use center Minelab logo as your reference point.

n/t

Well,I had another chance to use the new Explorer and took the advice fro you guys. In pinpointing I swept it east to west and then turned and swept it north to south and according to most they say it should be right under the minelab sticker.... Well not on this one I guess because it was between the shaft and the sticker. I dung right at the sticker several times and it was always towards the shaft.....HHMMMMM I'm stumped..

The item was probably at an angle in the ground, that is why it was throwing the pinpointing off a bit. It happens once in a while and it will happen again. For the most part, most should pinpoint directly under the sticker on the detector.