Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

using an extension tube

vito

This shot was made by using a 13mm extension tube and a f 28mm 1:2.8 lens.
Exposure time 1/30, ISO 4000, hand-held. No flash.
Got a used set of 3 extension tubes 13mm , 21mm and 31mm at a bargain.
So the "normal" lenses can be used for close up pictures.

06DwrKJ0Qwx6QtE41uLdlYhpPYVf-sAKnAJ87n8TrYcmN3k6RDa7KaJbvldCabTCH_fuT0fkcA=w1920-h1080-no

Correction. The ISO used at this pic was 400, not 4000.

vito said:
This shot was made by using a 13mm extension tube and a f 28mm 1:2.8 lens.
Exposure time 1/30, ISO 4000, hand-held. No flash.
Got a used set of 3 extension tubes 13mm , 21mm and 31mm at a bargain.
So the "normal" lenses can be used for close up pictures.

06DwrKJ0Qwx6QtE41uLdlYhpPYVf-sAKnAJ87n8TrYcmN3k6RDa7KaJbvldCabTCH_fuT0fkcA=w1920-h1080-no

Very nice shot... We need to see more shots from these!! I have always been curious about the use but have never used them.... GREAT job vito...

I also bought a set of extension tubes,i bought a wrong set initially as they had been 'non auto' option,but then when i found out i also bought a set of 'auto' tubes as well,the option is the way forward,but saying that you can still use the 1st option but much more difficult.But the game changer for me was when using it with a 50mm 1.8 prime lens and the auto tubes,depending on what size tube you use will allow you to get up pretty close or with the full stack on you can get so that the target can nearly be touching the end of the lens.

Of course you use the various combinations according to what your target is,but for really close macro then a full stack is used or for just getting slightly closer you would use one of the single extensions accordingly on your requirements.

Extension tubes are great for macro work. Best thing about them is they don't add any cheap glass to the optical path as you'd get with magnifying lenses. They will soak up quite a bit of light, though, so keep that in mind when setting up. A tripod would be a good investment.

olfart said:
Extension tubes are great for macro work. Best thing about them is they don't add any cheap glass to the optical path as you'd get with magnifying lenses. They will soak up quite a bit of light, though, so keep that in mind when setting up. A tripod would be a good investment.

I agree with you,what i find that works well for me is that not only the lens which is a f1.8 lens allows more light in on its own,but i also use a ring flash setup and also a external speedlight both used with wireless triggers,this then give you alot more light and also a tripod is basically essential,but in some circumstances you cannot do that so the way around possibly blur from handshake is slightly increase your shutter speed to reduce the blurring......of course this is only what i find/do from trial and error.

If you only do the occasional macro shooting then extension tubes are great,but if you tend to do alot of macro then the best way forward subject to affording one is a dedicated macro lens,but for me as i only do it occasionally then i take the extension tube route,i all ready had the ring flash and external triggers and the 50mm f1.8 Nikon prime lens was ultra cheap.