Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

using pinpoint button under water?

jerry123

Has anyone had a leak issue using the pinpoint or any button under water? I find it hard to believe that Garrett would let a problem like that go without a fix.

jerry

Check out aquachigger and nuggetnoggin; they have modified it for shallow water. The Pro Pointer is an awesome instrument and built tough, just not meant for total submersion. The modifications void the warranty...understandably.

aj

I was talking about the AT PRO pinpoint button. using it under water causing it to leak Sorry for the confusion.

jerry

Oops, my bad (shouldn't post after consuming a few Raging Bitch's Ale). I have used the pinpoint function under water with no issues (my AT Pro is 3 years old). Most of the time, however, I swing the coil over the target, then back toward me to where the signal disappears, and scoop there.

aj

I've heard you should not immerse a hot detector, like if it has been sitting in the sun. The sudden cooling can possibly cause a problem.

Yeah, MikeLab, I've been wondering about that too...like that old science project where you heat up a bottle and put an egg on top, and as the bottle cools, it sucks the egg right on down into it....I can imagine the same thing occurs when a guy dunks a hot detector in cool water...I wonder if its a good idea to leave the battery box open, and only close it when a guy is ready to deploy?

All this said, I leave my Pro out in the car, and hop right into the water with no trouble for a few years now...sure I hunt early mornings mainly, so my temp differential is not much...but its something I've thought about...does anybody know what the Factory thinks about this? Have they done any destructive tests along these lines? Did they build that Oring battery box seal and control box to take a plunge from 100+F to maybe 50? Someone surely must know.....:shrug:

Regarding the PP button, I never use my PP button under water or otherwise on account of its not that hard to scoop a target without it, I set up parameters on the dry, and dont touch anything once in the drink, except maybe the sens...I figure just one less thing to worry about..Anybody know for sure?.
Mud

I used to use it before my At/Pro sprang a leak, but now just wiggle my coil and it's actually faster than pinpointing. I used to ground balance in deeper water, but only do that when the console is out of the water. It might not matter, but it's like insurance. Why take a chance.