Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Using the BIG COIL in the field

azsh07

I have to say that of all the BIG COILS I have used over the decades that the FORS is probably the best.

Not really going to go on and on about this and that as plenty of people have one and may have used it but.......

For one it is fairly well balanced for a big coil...more so than most any other OEM coil.

Second it is stable...very stable. I don't get any more chatter out of than the stock and I don't get much out of that one

Third it is still sensitive to small targets, I dug some small buck shot at 4" that came in strong as well as other smaller targets. Usually these big cols loose it on small lead quickly but I did not see that. Wish I could say I dug a keeper piece of small silver but not yet. However on small buttons I did not see much of a loss if any compared to the stock.

Target separation is still......respectable. Although granted I only use this in fields and wood..open areas with reasonable trash loads. But when I say this iron is still quite common..certainly multiple iron targets in a sweep just not an overload of them. I rarely hunt any place that does not have multiple iron targets in a sweep...if I hit a spot like that..I leave..I am in the wrong spot.

Last..it is deep. Again I have not seen much gains on common sized targets with bigger coils and again I have used most of the top machines and their big coils. Not saying this one gained 3 inches on a coin.....but I did get a good inch or maybe a tad more on common relic targets. By this I mean buttons, coppers and musketballs etc.

I dug a Brown Bess ball at just over a measured 10"... which is very good here. Musketballs for some reason are hard to get below 9". I know down south guys will dig miniballs deeper but musketballs here are hard to detect at 9" or deeper.

Also dug a KGII just over 11" measured in the same field. Any deeper it would have been gone but it was a decent fairly repeatable signal...think actually I was playing with the 50 mask boost mode when I got that one IIRC.

Anyway...not impressed usually with most big coils...usually I hate them honestly but thsi one I like. Granted not an everyday coil but it has uses for sure..more so than most OEM BIG COILS I have used.

Not bad...

I've used the big coil on my Racer1 and it did well. It's a bit heavy, but any 15.5" coil is. I found it to be sensitive to small targets still, finding a Phoenix cuff button and small flat button in a plowed field with it. Not sure if it's deeper then the stock coil, but it certainly covers more ground.

HH,
Brian