Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Using the GPS.....general remarks about accuracy using a handheld.

BarnacleBill

GPS experience of users of the detector are going to range all over the place from someone who has never used one to people who use them in their work for surveying etc.

Without getting too long winded a GPS handheld receives a signal from satellites orbiting the earth. The satellite data stream from each satellite identifies itself and then in essence(not exactly but for ease of understanding), emits a pulse which is timed for arrival at the handheld. The handheld listens for as many satellites as it can hear and times the arrival of the pulses. By having the satellites say where each is above the earth and timing how long it takes a pulse to arrive, the method of triangulation can be used to determine where you are on the face of the planet.

Except there is a little problem, the pulses travel down through the atmosphere which has what you could think of as waves on a lake or pond. These waves distort the pulse time of arrival and they vary from moment to moment. Therefore to get the most accurate positioning you want to set the GPS down and let it average the signals for a while to counteract the atmospheric distortion.

So if it were me arriving at a site with the CTX and I was going to be returning to the same area again, here's what I would do. Park your vehicle, find a nice clear open spot of the sky as you can near a landmark, rock, tree, fence post etc. Turn the CTX + GPS on, let it set there and average while you go get other gear ready. And every time you return to the same area follow the same routine.

This will help assure that your waypoints etc are the most accurate.

HH
BB

Good explanation BB. But the first thing I do is set a Waypoint where I park the truck, so I know I have a ride home! :crazy:

If you live in the US, be sure to use the enhanced selection for the GPS. Supposed to be more accurate.
Don

Hi Don,

Yes the WAAS in the U.S. is more accurate, and I know there is supposed to have been a Russian and I believe European system being being deployed, but I haven't kept track of that so I thought it just might complicate things a bit. And that may also lead to accuracy differences on different continents with the CTX.

HH
BB

n/t

I don't know Elton I only did Alpha & Beta testing of sub-modules.

HH
BB

The GPS feature for logging find location will be a great asset. I have done with a hand held unit & found the information valuable but having to carry the extra device, mark each find and then edit the name etc was too much of a pain.. Having this built into a detector should be wonderful.. wildherre

As far as I can see from the manuals there's no option for enhanced GPS (WAAS etc.) on the CTX. Just like there's no indication of what level of accuracy it's getting, only if it can lock on enough satelittes to get a position of sort.

The CTX does have the enhanced GPS option.

Van

OK we got GPS now in a metal detector,as I was explaining to my wife,plus wireless. my wife asked me can it make a mean cup of coffee too?:rofl:

Noooooooooooooo....you explain if she let's you buy one you'll get up every morning and make her that magic java brew!:)

HH
BB