Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Using the GPX-5000 on salt water beaches

Bill D. (VA)

I've been wanting to try this out and now that I have a Platypus waterproof DD coil I'm ready to go. Been trying to figure out the best way to set the machine up for hunting in this environment. I will, of course, be using the Salt-Gold timing and will also probably start out in the "General" search mode. I normally use fixed GB, but wasn't sure if tracking GB would work better. I also use slow sweep speed for relic hunting, but with all the ground to cover at the oceanfront I might need to step that up to medium or fast. I will also have to play with the gain and stabilizer once I get out there to help achieve smooth operation. One of the main reasons for me to try this machine at the beach is to be able to disc out bobby pins, and small rusty fishing hooksand pieces of wire which I can't eliminate with my Infinium. By turning the iron reject up to 10 I was able to knock out all those items while air testing. And at that setting I was still able to clearly pick up the smallest gold ring I had, as well as get good depth. So those are the settings I was thinking about starting with, but wanted to see what others had been using successfully. That and any other salt water hunting tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Not having ever hunted a beach but having read scads of posts and having a GPX 5000 I use at DIV here's what I would try first. Since beaches are mostly, unless their volcanic, are mineral free I would use Coin and Relic timing.

The manual says: said:
Salt/Gold is designed for use in mineralised soils that have a high salt content.

And it says about Coin/Relic: said:
Coin/Relic is designed for use in lightly mineralized soils including many beaches.

The key is mineralization. Beaches normally don't have any.

The manual also says: said:
On ocean beaches containing significant quantities of black sand, better results may be had by using Normal, or Salt/Gold (GPX 5000).

I start with Coin/Relic and go from there.