Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

V3.0 . . . . Expectations and Results . . . . .

Andy Sabisch

I wanted to post this as "food for thought" . . . . . .

Well V3.0 finally was released and the posts are starting to come in on forums around the world. One thing that people are commenting on is that V3.0 is different than V2.0 . . . . not sure what people were expecting but yes, in essence the V3.0 package does make the Deus operate differently than V2.0 had been . . . tones have changed, sounds of various targets have changed, functions have been added and others updated . . . . . but was that really unexpected?

Several people have contacted me asking if I have been monitoring the various forums around the world to see what comments are being posted . . . . and I had to reply that actually I have been out hunting rather than surfing the forums simply because the content of the posts can be predicted.

People will say it is not working the way V2.0 did and they question if the V3.0 is worth the upgrade . . . . they were comfortable with V2.0 and in several areas of operation, the learning curve starts all over.

When I first loaded V3.0 (and early versions of what was finally released), I found myself longing for V2.0 as I it was like an old pair of shoes as the saying goes . . . . I knew every little nuance it produced and could pull targets from virtually any area I visited. V3.0 did change that but working through the "newness", the finds once again started to appear and in greater number than before.

So . . . .

=====================

Are the tones different under V3.0 than V2.0? Yes . . . :thumbup:

====================

Is the response to certain targets different on V3.0 than it was on V2.0? Yes . . . . :thumbup:

====================

Are there new functions and capabilities that stand out on V3.0? Yes . . . . :thumbup:

====================

Is upgrading to V3.0 a must if you are running the Deus at very low discrimination and set for 2-tones? Hmmmmm :shrug:. . . . . maybe you need to look at the changes and see if they come into play with your settings you currently use

====================

My prediction is that initially, you will see those that frequent the forums voicing their comments about the differences and questioning the advancement of V3.0 compared to V2.0. Then, within a few weeks, the users that really knew the Deus running V2.0 and what each function actually does will come up with some custom programs that maximize the performance and the tone will change to the posts. I made changes - albeit they small - to the programs I was using in V2.0 but the adjustments work where it counts - in the field.

If one was expecting V3.0 to suddenly provide accurate target ID on coins down at 2 feet on edge, totally eliminate bottle caps or other rusted iron with absolutely no impact on performance, the tones / sounds for specific targets to remain identical and maybe even have an option for coins to be dated and valued on the screen :happy:, then there is likely going to be some letdown initially in the field.

I have been in touch with several very experienced hunters that have been using V3.0 and they all admit the new detector does not sound exactly like the V2.0 did but working through the differences on actual targets, they were able to make slight adjustments that maximized the new functionality and performance.

A suggestion is to take a deep breath if you are questioning the V3.0 package . . . . see what happens as run time is gained and feedback shifts from initial frustration to a true assessment of the new version. If you look at forums of other models that have been updated / enhanced / changed, the same type of comments tend to appear.

OK, I'll get down from the soapbox . . . . before I get dragged off :)

Andy

I had the V2.0 last year and never really got to know it a lot when Minelab came out with the CTX 3030, so I sold my Deus to buy a CTX which I still have. I decided when I heard the new V3.0 I would like to try one again and it should be here on the 25Th and will be reading all I can here and asking questions on what I don't understand. First thing is going to see what everyone recommends to start with and with some luck get a good start and hoping Andy's book on it will be out soon. Andy's books and Field test are always great as he tells it as it is.

Rick

i won't be the one knocking the box out from underneath you as i'm obviously not the target audience for this post, for reasons i explain below. far from it ...

i bought my detector some months ago during winter and haven't yet had the opportunity to even use it. i've never used a md nor have i seen one used except on tv and youtube. on tv i suspect they overdub the sounds so that i can't even put together the sound with the find and the depth. and none i've seen on tv use the deus anyway.

so i will get to start entirely fresh with v3.0 because i never used whatever was on the machine before v2.x nor did i really use v2.x except to run through the manual, which i didn't really understand that well.. i think i will wait just _two_more_weeks_ {g} for your book and make an entirely fresh start because the xp manual assumes things i have no idea about and no experience with. hopefully your book will not need to take these shortcuts and will explain why certain things work the way they do and help me get started more smoothly.

/guy

You are spot-on.

The thing that hurts many detector owners is that they make changes on the recommendation of others and then get frustrated with the performance the changes produce. The thing is when you ask them why they made this change or that change, you often get a blank stare. Years ago I had people come over with the White's XLT complaining about how poor it worked . . . and when I looked at the settings, I could see why. I asked why they had various functions set where they were and they said either "I wanted to see what it did" or "someone told me to do that". But they never understood what each function did and how each was inter-related. A small change often has a big impact and not knowing what that is, makes for frustration and disappointment in the field.

The manufacturers added features and functions for a reason . . . although in many cases the manual assumes you knew what that was and does not cover it. If you understand the function and what it is designed to address, you can set the detector for anything you come across.

That has been the starting point of all of my books that I have penned on detectors . . . once you have that foundation, you can look at the settings others share and quickly see if it will work for you and if not, what is the function that needs further adjustment. The Deus Handbook is no different. Countless communications with XP's team and seasoned hunters from around the world went into developing the section on what each feature does and explaining them in terms that make sense and can be applied.

If you take the programs from others, make sure you look them over and understand what was changed and more importantly why . . . then see if it can be used as is or needs to be tailored to fit your needs. The Deus is about the easiest high-end detector to set and operate . . . . with that initial understanding

Good luck in the field

Andy

I've needed your book from day one! and still do!
Is it here yet... Is it here yet... Is it here yet???
Two weeks up Yet??

I'm with gteague.
I don't have mine yet so V3 will be v1.0 for me.
I'll have Andy's book first hopefully too.
Thanks all for the robust dialogue!
Every bit of discussion is a good thing for our hobby.
Hats off to everyone here for making this a true forum!

See you in the field. HH

I like change when it is an improvement. V3.0 impressed me from the start.
Yeah, I have a lot to learn but The feel of the firmware change is more stable/robust than 2.0.

Now I just got a new replacement coil from Detector Electronics (XP authorized service in the US).
So I am not sure if the following is a result of a properly functioning unit or the change to V3.0.

I have noticed that the TID is giving me a higher resolution on target ID. Previously I never got 69, 93, 96, 97 at 18KHz.
Those numbers have come in a few times on various targets recently. For instance, the 69 is a particular modern pull tab.
I used to get a 65-67 on those but now they seem to have their own specific ID number based on the type/alloy of the tab.