Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

V3 and my oldest coin

Downdeep

My hunting partner and I had our V3's out Monday evening hunting a yard that had a LOT of activity during the battle of Gettysburg. We have pulled countless numbers of relics from this yard and had considered it hunted out having found nothing there the last 3 times with an xlt and an mxt. When we used the V3's we found a few more items, but they were DEEP in bad ground and gave some really rough signals. We pulled 9 more miniballs,two round balls and a flat button out of the bad ground at 12+ inches. That may not sound deep, but in this ground and the fact that many of the bullets were molded from really crappy metal, we thought we were doing well. Anyway, Bill pulled a 1798 large cent out of the ground in addition to his other finds. Now I've only been detecting for a year so I was quite jealous of this sweet find. Tuesday night we decided to hunt a colonial (1750) homesite I have permission to hunt. Spent about 2 hrs around the house knowing there has to be some good stuff in the ground but we got VERY frustrated as every sweep was full of signals that needed to be investigated. For two hours we dug literally a 5 gallon bucket of trash... and only 3 coins...oldest being a 1960 memorial cent. So we gave up and headed to the hay field behind the house happy to find it had far less trash. In less than an hours hunt there Bill found a very old flat button and I found two old brass buckles. Then, as we were walking out, I got a SWEET signal reading a consistent 88/89 and a beautiful analyze screen showing a target at 12 inches. Dug down and pulled out what must have been a virtually non circulated 1831 large cent. I'd post a picture but I have it soaking to try to brighten it up some. The coin showed very little wear for having been in the ground for near 178 yrs. We'll be heading back there tomorrow evening to see what else may lay hidden in that field. :twodetecting:

Downdeep said:
For two hours we dug literally a 5 gallon bucket of trash... and only 3 coins...oldest being a 1960 memorial cent.

Man, can I relate to that! :rolleyes:

Downdeep said:
Then, as we were walking out, I got a SWEET signal reading a consistent 88/89 and a beautiful analyze screen showing a target at 12 inches. Dug down and pulled out what must have been a virtually non circulated 1831 large cent.

Very impressive! :clapping:

Nice diggin, Still trying to find a civil war era bullet with the V was in G Burg on Wed and Thur afternoon and hunted a little and found nothing, but not surprising for the site I hunted. What are the bullets VDI at that depth or are you digging any threshold breaks? Andy

If I dug any and all threshold breaks, I'd be digging tons and tons of scrap. I'm guessing you are referring to the Curtis/Tom method? Most decent signals on bullets are running right where the bullet icon shows in shallower ground-- 50's into 60's. The bad signals I'm talking about will hit in that range about every 4th to 5th swing while bouncing around anywhere below that, even down into iron! The trick was that iron won't pinpoint (except bent rusted nails) as well where the bullets give a nice solid pinpoint signal. I have to be honest, if I weren't in a known bullet producing area, I'd probably pass up a signal like that. Knowing what was in the ground at this site persuaded me to dig iffy targets. Makes me wonder how many iffy targets are good elsewhere!

Went to my colonial site again tonight and found a 1927 merc dime in great condition and my last of only two good targets for the night.... an 1820 large cent, which is now soaking with the other. This one was only 4 inches down! The merc was about 8-10".

I'd like to point out how sensitive the V3 is... I run it hot, very hot when I can to get depth. On Monday evening I dug a repeatable signal, nice analyze screen, though showing a small target, VDI in the 40's if I remember right. After searching through handful after handful of dirt, I finally recoverd a TINY 1/4" long copper brad nail that was an easy 6" deep.

Yea the V is a killer on the coppers, the colonial site I have been hunting for 3 months with different detectors,I switched to the 950 coil off my mxt and rehunted an area that I had been over many times and dig 3 King George coppers in 15 min. I guess better seperation with the 950

Wish I had the money right now for a 9.5, but I still owe on the detector! :clsoedeyes:

Downdeep said:
Wish I had the money right now for a 9.5, but I still owe on the detector! :clsoedeyes:

You might want to see if you can borrow one and test it before going with the 9.5. I had heard good things about how well the 9.5 works so tried the one off my DFX on my V3. Honestly, I didn't see any improvement and even had a slight loss of depth with it. Our soil conditions are likely similar since you seem to be in the Gettysburg area and I am just southwest of you.

Dave

Thanks for the info Dave, I believe I may have access to one that I can borrow.....

Downdeep said:
If I dug any and all threshold breaks, I'd be digging tons and tons of scrap. I'm guessing you are referring to the Curtis/Tom method?

Wow, I didn't know that I had a "method" partially named after me :bouncy:

I just wanted to clarify something, I don't dig threshold breaks, on my Safari breaks are discriminated out targets like small iron. The "iffy" targets that I dig are one of two types, either an iron tone (VDI -10) that jumps up to a nice clear high pitched chirp (+33/34) or a good tone that does not have a corresponding VDI (a high flutey tone with a low iron number like -10 through -3). This is not just a minelab thing, because Curt (the other guy in the "method" name) gets the same readings on his F75 and Travis gets similar readings on his MXT with the giant trash-can lid sized coil.

BTW: Speaking of friends that never call... :shrug:

TomH
:minelab:

Hey Tom!
you got honorable mention! Curt talks about digging threshold breaks...but never having run an f75, I wan't sure what he meant....

I get out on a whim, usually with moments notice. Leaving in 1/2 hr for a week at Cape May...detector is going along but not sure how much I'll get to use it.

FYI - I believe any coils you use on the V must be manufactured after Oct 2008 or they are not compatable with the V (per the White's website).
Just a thought but maybe that is why DAVEMD didn't get the results he wanted on the 950 off his DFX...