Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

V3 Coil, 950 or Super 12?

hodr

So, my V3 came in the mail today (as did my white's coupon pack) and I will be able to take it out for the first time on Friday. I had a DFX 300 previously, and I always felt that the Super 12 that came with it was a bit too EMI sensative. The Whites coupon pack has a %60 off deal on a couple of coils, the 950, the 5.3, and the Super 12. I kept the V rated 5.3 that I used with my DFX, so I guess my question is, which coil would best compliment the 10 dd and 5.3?

I hunt mainly in parks, but do occasionally go to the beach, and sometimes manage to get into a field in between crops.

Any ideas?

Congratulations on your new V3, Your gonna love it! I would go with the 950 over the super 12. The 950 will give you almost as much depth and better separation in the parks.Your 12" will work with the V3 and probably do a good job. You just won't be able to run xmit boost.
Good luck and have fun.
John London

If I were to limit myself to ONLY two coils for the V3 they would be the 5.3 Eclipse (my favorite coil size for most White's) and probably the V-tuned 950. I am rather partial to round, concentric designed coils. Since you have the stock 10" DD, I fell you ought to spend some time with it and the 5.3 Eclipse and decide which of those two you'll use the most .... and why ... which will help YOU decide on which additional coil might serve you the best. So much is dependant upon the types of sites you hunt and the ground mineral, brush, and trash target challenges you are likely to encounter.

Best of luck in making that decision, but I'd put a solid 3-4 weeks of detecting time in with the two coils you have before I made that decision.

Just opinions,

Monte

I appreciate the replies guys. I never hunted with a dd coil before, so I guess I don't really know what kind of differences I should be looking for. I have been kinda spoiled with my DFX in that I rarely had to pinpoint too exact with the coil. Most of my targets were <5 inches, so I could hone right in on them with my DX-1 before digging.

I have the DX-1 on the V3 now, and hopefully it will work without any issues.

On White's site you can look up the coils to see the differences between concentric and DD. DD will allow you to ID targets close together, such as in trashy areas, but, then the 5.3 is the best at that if it's real trashy, being a much smaller footprint. In Central Illinois, where I live, the DD seems to be the best all around coil...highly mineralized ground. I understand from posts that back East or in friendlier, less mineralized ground, the 950 coil seems to be well received. DO work with both as Monte mentioned, tho. Good luck and welcome to the forum. Post some pix as you recover some goodies. HH to all.

Capt Ron

I think at this point I'd go with the 9.5. It seems to be the coil of choice at the beach and I have not problem using it in park type sites. The 12" I feel will be too big for most of your hunting. Depending on the ground and EMI you will be able to switch between the D2 and 9.5. Rob

If it were me I'd want the biggest coils available for that detector.
Keep in mind the larger the coil, the more it will be effected
by emi and ground mineralization; using any detector.
If used in the right area it's going to net you the most depth, period.

My two cents go with the 950. Concentric picks up for the DD short comings (and vice versa). Larger coils are great but... buy a big coil, in the future, if the need arises. "Deals" on coils are like Dorito's...they'll make more.