Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

V3 "DISPLAY HOUSING"

CROCK of COINS

Keep an eye on the V3 "DISPLAY HOUSING"
It has 4 screws that hold the front half to the back half. There is a gasket between the front and back.

The problem...I have TWO of the screws that pulled threw the back side of the housing! ! ! That means a NEW back half!

Only way to repair this without a NEW back would be to replace the screws with LONGER screws that have a larger head so that when installed it would pull down on the outer part of the back piece.

I need to send in for the software update...so back to my NOT so obsolete DFX. LOL

Jerry

Dear Jerry

Sorry for the trouble. We have seen a small number of the housing screws strip out. We are looking into adding brass sleeves to the display housing screw bosses and switching over to machine screws.

Controlling the torque screw driver settings in production is a daily concern. I really don't see torque screw drivers provide or holding the accuracy expected of torque wrenches. That and tight, but not too tight, is a hard concept. Human nature wants to give it that last little extra twist over and above the torque specification, over tightening.

If they do strip out, we have seen a few screw bosses break off or split, so a larger screw isn't likely to resolve.

Best real fix is send it back for updating and a new housing under warranty.

Howard

Hi Steve, I sent it out yesterday ;-)

As for the screw= It is in place! But ware the screw head would pull the back half to the front half is the problem. I think the bottom of the hole pulled threw. So now nothing for the screw head to rest against.

I said a LONGER screw with larger head (a small washer could work) to tighten against the back. As it is now, the recess(well) for the screw is useless.

Thanks for the reply!

Jerry

bud212002 said:
Did this just do it on its own with use?? Or did you have it apart for something?
Thanks!

Never had it apart! Never took a tool to it! First one I know about.

Jerry

C/O/C My Dealers 2 lower screws pulled out Art Apodaca , But mine never did on my Vision??? I sent Her in for a upgrade 1.0 to 1.3 weather Whites beefed it up in that area i dont know??? Hi Steve H do you think Whites Looked at that?? Do you guys do a preventive maintenance thing???? Mickey Lewis, Thanks

Lewis... yes we inspect closely during updating. If any plastic is noted on the screws when removed from the housing, indicating some degree of stripping, we replace the housing. Housing is good (doesn't strip out the bosses) if torque specification is accurate.

We have not seen a lot of it, however, the majority of those we seen had previously been opened for updating.

Some new stock was opened and software updated before leaving the factory. So even if you never sent it in for updating, your housing may have been opened for updating prior to being shipped from the factory.

Brass boss inserts and switch to machine screws will take some time, tooling modifications. So at this point replacing the housing with the original design is the only recourse.

We are confident if assembled as engineering directed (torque specification) no housing has or will fail under normal use. It is only during original assembly... and/or opening for updating, that can result in display housing stripping.

Howard

Mr. Howard,

I hope you understand what I said in my other post. My V3 is in your house NOW. The "stripping" of the FRONT part of the face plate in NOT the problem on my V3.

The BACK part of the housing...the SEAT...the part the screw makes contact when drawn down is what broke off/pulled threw.

Have Fun
Jerry

Thank you Steve Howard for your reply to my Question , Mickey Lewis,

Jerry - We understand. The back half boss tower can give out (crush) if the pod was overtightened and the front half can remain undamaged.

If there is an issue... we replace both front and back. Black plastic makes it hard to see any stress fractures.

I recall the mechanical engineers talking about having to beef up these towers in addition to the brass inserts on the top half. I should remember more about what they said but they always start talking about the math and the truth is only the tool & die makers are interested in that. I do remember bigger, beefier, stronger, brass inserts, machine screws, and am confident that direction will fix this issue.

Howard

Steve,Thanks for the reply. I have my V3 back now and it works much better with the NEW coil.

Now to get out and hunt ;-)

Jerry