Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

V3 Loops, and Recommended Gains

Carl-NC

In the Sensitivity screen V3 reports a recommended gain setting for the preamp. Someone recently asked if holding the loop in the air should result in a recommended gain of 15. My initial answer was 'yes', but after discussing this with the engineering team it is not so simple.

V3 looks at the "residual" receive signal to come up with the recommended preamp gain. Residual signal can either be loop null, ground signal, or both. Sometimes the addition of ground can cancel loop null for a lower overall residual signal. Sometimes it adds for an overall worse residual signal. EMI can also affect the residual signal.

V3 wants to keep the total residual signal level below 10% so it recommends a preamp gain to do that. However, 10% is a rather arbitrary level. We could have made it 20%, or 30%. I almost always run my V3 at several notches above the recommended preamp gain, because there is no real harm in doing so as long as there is sufficient headroom left to detect. What is sufficient? Realistically, you could probably go as high as 50%, but I would back off to no more than 30-40%.

Quite often EMI will be the limiting factor. When testing in my noisy office, I can get a recommended gain of 11 but can only run at about 3 to keep it stable. So in cases where EMI is the limiting factor, run the preamp gain as high as you can. Keep in mind that EMI-induced falsing can also be reduced by lowering the DISC sensitivity, and often this is a better way to reduce EMI falsing than lowering the preamp gain. Also, when EMI limits the max gain TX boost becomes an effective way to get some extra depth.

So there is still the question of what a good loop should look like. Ideally, a perfect loop will give a recommended gain of 15 in the air, but that is not a necessary condition to call a loop "good". The D2 loops are coming out of the factory with extremely good nulls, but over time they can shift slightly, resulting in a null that may give a recommended gain of less than 15. The Eclipse 5.3 are being manufactured to exactly the same specifications of the D2, but on a V3 they pretty consistently give a recommended gain of 10 or so.

As I've explained, this is based on a target residual of 10% and there is no real need to run this low. You can easily run a loop that has a recommended gain of 8 all the way to 15 with no problem. Replacing such a loop with a more perfect loop would not offer any performance difference. Therefore, White's will consider any loop that results in a recommended gain of 8 or more in air to be a good loop.

- Carl@White's

Carl, so whats to be done with a coil which recommends a RX of 3 in the air? Since I bought my V new it has never given a recommended RX of more than 2 anywhere and in the air,like I stated the recommended RX is 3.

Another small point all if you are testing your coils. dont test them in any single frequency mode as they will never give a gain of 15 anyway !!! and may also only give a recommended gain of 5 or 6.... correct me if if am wrong here Carl.

regards rob

Me too.....at first it gave 8 then on both my coils it always gives 3, and if turned up more gives a lot of falsing.

True, single frequency runs with a stronger effective signal. My post refers to 3-f mode, TX boost OFF.

- Carl

Thanks for cleariung that up Carl. I had read that coils needed to air test at 15 and my D2 was at 14 so I thought maybe there was a problem even though it seemed to be working fine. Nice to know I don;t need to worry about it.

Hmmm,"Shift"? do the actual wire strands "Shift" Inside the coil? (not knowing how the coils are constructed) Epoxy filled coils maybe?

OK I have med to low grounds here....test my three coils this is my results in air test

D-2 air test 8 with boost on 3 with ground test its 7/3
950 air test 14 with boost on 6 with ground test its 11/5
5.3 air test 10 with boost on 3 with ground test its 11/4 this one I found kinda strange, after several test the ground tested slightly higher than air. Any ideas why? All three coils are V rated