Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

V3/V3i owners would you make this trade

I'm thinking of upgrading to a single machine. I have an MXT 300 for the dirt/dry sand and a Dual Field for the water. I thought I would spend more time actually in the water(SoCal surf) but I have found that I like detecting the wet sand and dry better as being out in the surf doesn't suit my style. So my question is would you rather have a V3/V3i as single machine for wet/dry sand and dirt than two machines an MXT and Dual Field? Is the V3 the best of both worlds or the closest to it? I will only own a whites machine as there customer service is second to none.

Thanks for your honest opinions

A V3i is capable of finding somewhat deeper targets than a similarly equipped MXT series detector IF the V3i is adjusted correctly for the site being searched. However, when using my MXT Pro along side of someone using a V3i, I have usually managed to keep up with them and never felt outgunned. The V3i is actually easy and fun to use if you take it slow. It has lots of features and some are found only on the V3i. However, it takes a looong time to really master. A V3i will truly do things that most other VLF machines cannot.

I have no experience with a Dual Field nor any other PI machine. However, all indications are that an average PI machine will see much deeper targets than the best VLF machines. If you give up the Dual Field for the V3i, you will lose depth. Since the Dual Field has no discrimination, the targets you do detect with the V3i will usually give you some ID info.

Good luck with your decision. You might also consider simply upgrading your MXT 300 to an MXT Pro and keep your Dual Field. Hope you can make next weeks club meeting.

Bob

Keep two detectors in your arsenal.

skateteacher said:
I'm thinking of upgrading to a single machine.
Over the past 48 years of detecting I have tried that several times. It was easy to be satisfied, back about '68 thru '73 or so, but when detector advancement started happening quickly and we had a lot more to choose from, I found that two detectors was a minimum I needed to have around. Just too many variables that we might encounter so I wanted to have enough versatility and function.

Sticking with White's models as of the latter '90s to early '2000's I could be quite satisfied with the likes of an XLT and Classic ID or an XL Pro and IDX Pro. One complimented the other. I also remembered to have the best coil mounted, or at-the-ready, for a variety of hunts as well.

skateteacher said:
I have an MXT 300 for the dirt/dry sand and a Dual Field for the water.
That's a good combination for many people. Personally, I am not a big PI fan, nor do I work out into the surf when I go to the coast. I like to work the dry sand and the wet sand at minus tide. The MXT 300 (for readers who don't know) is simply a basic or standard MXT that came with the 300mm, aka 12", round concentric search coil. I am a fan of any MXT, preferring the now top-end MXT Pro.

skateteacher said:
I thought I would spend more time actually in the water(SoCal surf) but I have found that I like detecting the wet sand and dry better as being out in the surf doesn't suit my style.
That's my style, work the beaches but not out into the water. Just not for me (since I can't swim).

skateteacher said:
So my question is would you rather have a V3/V3i as single machine for wet/dry sand and dirt than two machines an MXT and Dual Field?
I would rather have two detectors, and if I narrowed it down from the White's line-up, which I have, it results in these two: An MXT Pro w/6

Hi My Fellow TH'ers
I have used no other detectors than Whites since 1984. My first Whites was a 6000 Di III. This was a great detector since day one. I tried the 6000 Di Pro but it was just not as easy to use so I went back to my 6000 Di III. I then upgraded to the XLT and then the DFX and now have the V3i. I use the DFX more than any of the other detectors. I sold both 6000 detectors as the XLT and DFX were rocking. The V3i is going to take a lot of learning as it is light years ahead of my brain! LOL I kept my XLT and DFX as back up detectors and I am so glad that I did. As they say put all your eggs in one basket, then you better watch that basket!
Good luck
Dave

Thanks for the informative responses. I'd love to be able to keep my MXT and acquire a V3i but finances are the issue. I'm not afraid of the learning curve as the rewards of learning the machine seem to outweigh any negatives. I've got some great spots to return to as soon as I am able to purchase a used one.