Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

V3I + 13" Detech & iron VDI's

GoldChaser

Hello everyone, I am a long-time MXT owner who has been in hibernation for a few years, and am now about to start up again and buy a V3i + the Detech 13" coil.
One of my biggest challenges has been in situations where a piece of iron is big enough (2"x3"x1/4" as an example) to show up as a high conductor with a high VDI. One thing I learned was if I had my 6x10 DD Eclipse coil on the MXT, if I was getting a very strong high conductor VDI and signal, if I could then back up and just put the tip of the coil on the object it would remove the high-conductor-due-to-large-object-size signal and the MXT would then read the object by its metallic component, which was iron in this case. This saved me a LOT of digging. So my question is - Can you do the same thing with the 13" coil on the V3i? With my 6x10 I wouldn't scan the object with a side-to-side motion of the tip of the coil, rather I would move the coil forward-and-back using only the tip of the coil to 'touch' (with the signal) the object. I presume this is because the coil signal profile was rather narrow front-to-back, leaving a narrow point at the front of the signal. Whereas a 13" DD may have a broader 'tip' of the signal making that scan more difficult. Has anyone experimented with this? Also curious about the same with the 10"DD.
Thanks so much!

GoldChaser, If I understand correctly, you don't yet have your V3i? If that's the case, when you get one, you will have no problem identifying good targets from the bad ones regardless of your coil selection. When you pinpoint, using 3 frequency, a high VDI # (in the 70's or above) that pinpoints with 22.5 kHz or 7.5 kHz dominant will be trash while, one that pinpoints with 2.5 kHz dominant should be dug. Of course you still may dig a large piece of copper or brass which can be recycled, so in my book that's still a good target. Best of luck and...

Happy Hunting!
Blind Squirrel