Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

V3I Getting noisy Seems Like a Problem

oneon

The first 2 weeks of owning my V3I were great, good finds, good depth. Lately it has become very noisy in spots that I have detected with it before. I can take the RX and the Disc way down and she still seems to false. Change coils no difference. A trip back to Oregon is in order. I am hoping this isnt a going to be an ongoing problem because when this machine works it REALLY works. In the mean time back to the DFX I do believe my short time with the V3I has given me a greater understanding of settings and I think I'll be able to squeeze more depth out of the DFX.

The first check is to test the coil.

Rob i did check the coil. Raised the rx all the way she was ok. Changed the coil and i had the same problem. I rarely go out on the weekend the beach and boardwalk were packed I thinking it was emi. Went back today and it seemed ok. It was very quiet most of the businesses were closed. Will have to wait to the weekend to test the emi.

Good, some bad EMI is periodic. It is only there a certain times. I hope to hear your results. That's how we learn.

I'm with Rob ,sounds like EMI then you said most of the business's were closed ,I though possible alarms on. Will be good to hear what? Yazoo

Went to a beach that was a few miles away from civilization. Pristine fluffy sand on a kind of peninsula. The detector ran smooth as silk digging 12 inch quarters and nickels no good stuff though... I did dig a pull tab at what seemed to be about a foot and a half! Now to master this machine on the dirt. The dirt has been challenging for me to say the least.

Also did go back to my beach at 6am the detector ran fine. Obviously when the beach is packed with people with radios and cellphones and the boardwalk businesses are open I am getting some HEAVY EMI.

Keep digging those gold signals. If the beach has traffic the jewelry is there.

What i need is a whopper of a noreaster! Ive experienced one small one since ive begun detecting and it was good to me. I hate to say it but im looking foward to hurricane season!

How about a basic review of what to do first, second, third, fourth when dealing with EMI?

I'm aware of Frequency Offset, but there are times that doesn't seem to make any difference. If that fails, what else should be tried?

Thanks.

Hi OregonMike,

The following is a step-by-step settings process for reducing EMI interference. It was written and posted to another forum by a very smart fellow that goes by the handle deolslyfox.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reducing The Effects Of EMI
By deolslyfox March 10, 2011

Since it has been raining off and on (more like monsooning this morning) for the past couple of days, I decided to see what I could cook up in terms of a process to reduce the effects of EMI in the field.

I started with my Max Performance program with the 10"DD coil, as that's about as hot as I can run anyplace. In the house, it was pretty chatty as you might guess ....

The following processes / approaches / techniques can be used individually or together to facilitate a successful and enjoyable hunt in a high EMI environment. While smaller coils will also help reduce EMI, all the following was performed / validated using the 10"DD coil.

Most of the following has been discussed in other threads. I decided to bring it all together in one spot, since various locations, EMI sources, coils and setups may require different techniques.

The following exemplifies the flexibility and capability inherent to the design of V3i. I know of NO other detector that offers the capability to tailor its operating parameters to the environment or to the user's preference to the degree provided by White's flagship unit.

Hope you find the following helpful ....

Using Ground Filter and Frequency Offset

Start out as follows:

1. Hold the unit waist high
2. Go to pinpoint (AM) mode
3. Observe the noise level
4. Select Ground Filter from the Live Control
5. Select the filter that gives you the quietest operation
6. Select Transmit Frequency from the Live Control
7. Select the Frequency Offset that gives you the quietest operation
8. Return to Search mode

This process will give you a GOOD setting. However, you may still notice some noise. This could be that while quieting one frequency, you may have made another frequency MORE noisy. (Carl mentions this in the Advanced User's Guide).

So, what I tried was leaving the unit in Search Mode and:

1. Returning to Ground Filter and trying again to see if I could improve performance
2. Returning to Frequency Offset and trying again to see if I could improve performance

I could !! Soooo - the moral of the story is that since you are generally hunting in the Search Mode, it seems best to do this "touch up" after you've been thru steps 1 - 8 above.

In the house, running RXG = 13, AM = 70, DS = 85, I can get V3i down to almost a "clean screen" with this approach. Maybe one noise spike every 30 seconds or so. I had a 52" TV, 4 lamps, a refrigerator, 2 computers and some ceiling lights running simultaneously, in proximity to the detector.

Using Salt Compensate Mode

If you can't get the Normal 3 Freq mode quiet, try the Salt Comp 3 Freq mode. Running in Salt Comp which employs a salt subtraction algorithm is inherently quieter, but you give up a bit of depth. However, you can easily get this back by bumping up RXG a tad.

Without touching Ground Filters or Frequency Offset, I could get the Max Performance program to run as quietly using Salt Comp as I could by employing the previously described process. And again, I could get any depth loss back because I was able to run RXG = 15 w/o any great increase in noise.

Using Single Frequency Mode

If you can't find a combination of settings that removes enough EMI effect in either of the 3 Freq modes, you may want to try employing a Single Frequency mode. Most EMI generally comes thru the 2.5Khz frequency. Since you don't want to miss those small gold chains, I would recommend that you employ the 22.5Khz frequency. This frequency sees smaller targets best still hits well on gold and all the coins and coin-sized targets. Ground filters and Frequency offset options are still availble to further optimize performance in the Single Frequency mode.

Using TXB In Conjunction With RXG

If Ground Filters, Frequency Offset and / or Salt Comp Mode, by themselves or in combination won't eliminate enough EMI to facilitate a successful hunt, or you wish to remain in a 3 Freq mode, try the following:

1. Drop RXG until the EMI effect is negated
2. Turn TXB = ON

Since the transmitted frequency has nothing to do with EMI signal strength, this technique will improve the target signal return w/o increasing the EMI effect. What you're doing is improving the Target:Noise signal ratio. (Increasing target return strength without increasing EMI effect).

This technique can be employed in conjunction with any of the previously discussed processes, in 3 Freq Normal, Salt Comp or Single Frequency modes.

Hi My Fellow TH'ers
When I first had my V3 upgraded to the V3i it was so noisy that I called Whites in Sweet Home and spoke with Mary Hudson, explained what was going on and had to send it in for a check up. They agreed that there was a software problem with the upgrade so sent me a new V3i. I tried it but still had a lot of noise issues so sent it back again. They replaced the 10DD coil and rechargeable battery. Got it back but still had issues with it. I would take it out and used it for an hour or two then when I just could not take it's inability to locate targets I would swap back to my trusty DFX and would start finding good items almost at once. Well I finally said enough and spoke with Mary Hudson again, she said to send it back and they would give it a once over to see just where the problem was. This time they said to send them all of my coils and they would check them all out. Well they sent me another replacement V3i and a new 10DD coil. I called to find out where all my other coils were and they said they were being sent separately. They showed up a week later all replaced with new coils. Some of my coils had tested ok but weak so they just replaced them all. I still do not have alot of faith with teh V3i but I give it a try each time I am out for the first hour and then back into the truck and out with the DFX again. Last time out I was not able to pin point at all so I have a call in to Mary Hudson. I have a feeling that it will be going on another trip to Sweet Home. I have read on the Whites Forum that several others are having the same issues so all I can say is call Mary Hudson and see what she can do to get your V3i checked out and maybe they can get one to you that works. I am not giving up just yet but am sure am getting to the end of my rope with the V3i.
Thanks
Dave

Can you change channels on the Vx3 and Vi3 then to eliminate EMI?
Not quite sure I understand the operating lingo above.

oneon said:
The first 2 weeks of owning my V3I were great, good finds, good depth. Lately it has become very noisy in spots that I have detected with it before. I can take the RX and the Disc way down and she still seems to false. Change coils no difference. A trip back to Oregon is in order. I am hoping this isnt a going to be an ongoing problem because when this machine works it REALLY works. In the mean time back to the DFX I do believe my short time with the V3I as given me a greater understanding of settings and I think I'll be able to squeeze more depth out of the DFX.
One thing Ive noticed with my VX3 is that when the battery voltage drops below 10vs the machine gets very noisy in mixed mode, although it still remains fairly quite in descrim mode. I've tried the above mentioned to no avail and even after getting home the noise continues until I put a fresh set of batteries in it. So far it's worked everytime so now I don't leave without fresh (rechargeables) batteries everyday. Seems to have cured my problems but it's not a cure all for everybody.Hope this helps some.HH

If it rained also could cause these faulty signals. I hunted once a salty area with v3i and was very stable and i found good things , but I have been a week later , to the same site after it rained and it was impossible to work at all. A lot of noises and faulty signals, I am a newbie of course and I just could not make enough of adjustments. Another day when hunting the same spot a helicopter was flying above and I had the same problem but battery was low also. It is sure has started when battery went down. Fixing these things stops all faults with me. I am really happy with this machine I think v3i is a great machine.

Hey, Hunt4Fun,

Thanks for the article. I'll download it and print up a copy to keep in my rig. I appreciate that you went to the effort to help me.

Mike

Reducing the Effects of EMI
Smaller coils will help reduce EMI, all the following were performed and validated using the 10"DD coil.

Using Ground Filter and Frequency Offset
1. Hold the unit waist high
2. Go to pinpoint (AM) mode
3. Observe the noise level
4. Select Transmit Frequency from the Live Control
5. Select the Frequency Offset that gives you the quietest operation
6. Select Ground Filter from the Live Control
7. Select the filter that gives you the quietest operation
8. Return to Search mode.

You may still notice some noise. This could be that while quieting one frequency, you may have made another frequency nosier. So, repeat the process in search mode to see if you can improve performance. Since you are generally hunting in the Search Mode, it seems best to do this "touch up" after you've been through steps 1 - 8.

Using Salt Compensate Mode.
If you can't get the Normal 3 Freq mode quiet, try the Salt Comp 3 Freq mode. Salt Comp employs a salt subtraction algorithm and is inherently quieter, but you give up a bit of depth. However, you can easily get this back by bumping up RXG4. Select Ground Filter from the Live Control

Using a Single Frequency Mode
If you can't find a combination of settings that removes enough EMI in any of the 3 Freq modes, you may want to try a Single Frequency mode. Most EMI generally comes through the 2.5 KHz frequency. The 22.5 KHz frequency sees smaller targets best but still hits well on gold and all the coins and coin-sized targets. Ground filters and Frequency offset options are still available to further optimize performance in the Single Frequency mode.

Correlate mode
The theory behind correlate is that iron will respond with different phase angles for the different frequencies whereas coins and such will give the correct response across the frequency ranges. So, it is one way to discriminate out iron. The drawback is that potentially you lose depth because the ground affects how the targets come in so they will appear to have the phase difference like iron might and get discriminated out. But, EMI noise would theoretically have an unpredictable response across the frequencies and might be one way to remove EMI too. So, for those that don't want to hunt the deep targets might get an advantage for skipping over the iron targets using correlate. But for those that want deeper, I don't think correlate would be a good option.

Using TXB In Conjunction With RXG
If Ground Filters, Frequency Offset and / or Salt Comp Mode, by themselves or in combination won't eliminate enough EMI to facilitate a successful hunt, or you wish to remain in a 3 Freq mode, try the following:
1. Drop RXG until the EMI effect is negated
2. Turn TXB = ON.
Since the transmitted frequency has nothing to do with EMI signal strength, this technique will improve the target signal return w/o increasing the EMI effect. This technique can be employed in conjunction with any of the previously discussed processes, in 3 Freq Normal, Salt Comp or Single Frequency modes.

1)Switch to a band pass filter as the band pass filters will filter out more noise than the high pass filters
2) Try different frequency offsets
3) Try the various single frequencies
4) Lower disc sensitivity
5) Try correlate mode rather than best data (if in 3 frequency mode).
6) Switching to Salt Compensate helps with EMI if you want to work in 3F mode.
7) Change coils (concentric)
:geek: Try wired headphones