Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

V3i purchase

I can't believe my luck, last week at work I started working with a guy I had worked with on and off before, but never more than 4 hours at a time. Well anyway half way through the week he asked me if I knew anything about this detector that was coming up at an estate sale, he knew I was into detecting. When he showed me the picture on his phone from the auction site I couldn't believe it, it was a V3i. I told him I thought it was Whites top of the line detector, and he got on ebay and confirmed it. Well I ended up going down to the auction site after work to check it out, I couldn't believe it when I saw it, there wasn't a mark on it! Whoever bought this detector never put it to the ground, it apparently just stood in the corner looking pretty. It had 2 rechargeable battery packs, 1 backup pack, charger, a Bullseye II pinpointer with the original 9 volt battery still in the cellophane wrapper, headphones (not wireless) and a soft carrying case. I checked it out to make sure it worked, but the last detector I bought was a late 90's Spectrum XLT so there was a little bit of a learning curve figuring it out. Well making this long story shorter I won the bidding and got this whole setup for $750.
I took it out yesterday in my front yard (use to be a hay field) and even in the dry ground we're experiencing here in central Pa I pulled an old pocket knife out from 8" down. Wow, I think I'm going to like this detector!

You got a good deal on a great detector. I've had mine for 2 years and I'm just getting to understand the interactions between the functions. I have had an XLT since the late 90's an am fairly proficient with it. The V3i is a vast improvement.

Good luck.

ArizFlash, I love my XLT, and I also loved the Eagle II SL I have too. Whites has been making great detectors forever. I started in 1980 with the 4000 DB, man they've come a long way huh! I couldn't believe the difference in weight and balance when I first got the Eagle, little did I know what I would have in 2016. Looking forward to getting some swing time with the V3i. Did you have much trouble getting on to the double-d coil? Any tricks to pinpointing? All tips appreciated.

I started in 1980 with a Coinmaster 6 DB, a fast swing GEB discriminator. Found enough silver in 1980 to pay for it. That was when the price jumped to $50 oz.

The DD coil is easy to pinpoint with as long as there is only 1 target under it. I just center the target left to right then draw back the coil until the sound goes away. The target is under the front edge of the coil. I do the same with my Bigfoot coil on the XLT and IDX.

If you hunt a wet salt water beach with the V3i the 950 Eclipse or 12" - "300" concentric coils work better than the 10" D2. I use the 4" x 6" Eclipse DD quite often in a trashy park. However; my favorite coil is the 6" "5.3" Eclipse; it has good depth and good separation, not as tight as the 4" x 6" DD though. I just bought the White's 13" Ultimate made by Detech. I like it better than the 10" D2, it seems to separate better and balances (feels lighter) better because it is center mounted.

To start off in a park setting I would recommend the coin & jewelry program. Change the filter to 5 kHz band pass, adjust the recovery speed to 45 - 50 and turn VCO on. Sweep the coil slow, 1.5 to 2 seconds from left to right.

The V3i ID's bottle caps better than any detector I've owned. When you get a high coin tone and pull the pin point trigger and the 22 kHz frequency is dominant it will be a bottle cap or a steel washer.

Good luck with your V3i.

ArizFlash,
Thanks for the hints. I can't wait until we get some rain and I can get out and put her through some laps. I'm definitely excited about this new technology. I'll keep you updated of my future finds.

I would recommend a modified coin and jewelry program to start and dig everything!

The backlight setting comes set to max, which eats battery, so I advise to set it to 1. The recommentations made here are good. The main thing people do wrong in the beginnning is changing too many things at once. The filter to 5-bandpass and recovery delay is all I'd adjust until until I got the hang of it. There's no need to elevate the gain from factory. It can be set "too hot" and confuse everything.

Turn on V.C.O pin point and tone ID on then just practice ... The recovery delay I have not quite figured that out .. I know it is backwards Lower numbers is faster

Lower number is faster because lower number is less "delay" . I agree with keeping the sens low ,the v does not need to be hot to preform .