Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

V3i Sensitivity Settings

daddyflea

Just wondering if this setting should encourage falsing on crushed cans shallow or be set to where it does not. Also which setting should be adjusted RX or Discriminate?

Any advice

Daddyflea, what settings are you using? If you tell us, somebody will probably be able to help. Best of luck and...

Happy Hunting!
Blind Squirrel

I have set the Rx and descrimate pretty high but I was wondering if I should be falsing on crushed cans that are shallow

Daddyflea, a crushed can is a big target to your coil and lowering your sensitivity will not necessarily eliminate them. Even if it did you would also lose most desirable targets as well. Run your RX gain as high as you can and maintain stability. If the V3i gets too chatty, just lower the gain until the chattering stops. Discriminate sensitivity can/will cause chattering if local noise is too strong. Again, just lower the disc. sens to a level that is acceptable to you or your hunt conditions.
As far as cans are concerned, with a little practice you can spot the large signal compared to a coin/ring sized signal.
BTW: I like to run my detector on the edge of insanity, meaning almost to the point of instability. when I can i run RX @ 12-15 and disc around 95.
Hope this helps.
jalon

Way too hot..... but hey it's your choice.........

I am calling Falsing when I come over a crushed can about an inch under the ground and I get a deep "BBUUURRRPPP"

I backed off today after it did it on a Quarter. I just needed to back off the ALL Metal though.

Daddyflea, I believe that "BUUUURRRRP" is your overload response. The detector is calibrated for coin-size targets so large metal and high sensitivity settings will do that. I still dig them. A piece of large trash can be masking a good target. Also some large targets are good targets: old toys, jars full of coins, large buckles etc. Best of luck and...

Happy Hunting!
Blind Squirrel

Blind Squirrel said:
Daddyflea, I believe that "BUUUURRRRP" is your overload response. The detector is calibrated for coin-size targets so large metal and high sensitivity settings will do that. I still dig them. A piece of large trash can be masking a good target. Also some large targets are good targets: old toys, jars full of coins, large buckles etc. Best of luck and...

Happy Hunting!
Blind Squirrel

Exactly what I was talking about. I heard some people like to set them so that Overload sounds off on big objects. Here a big object is always a crushed can.

Daddyflea, this is one of the reasons why I remove large trash. At my relic site a few years ago I dug a rusty old can and when I re-scanned the hole I STILL got a good signal (87-89). It tuned out to be this Mexican Plate directly UNDER the old can. I haven't been able to positively identify this find but I'm guessing that it's circa 1830-1848 based on other finds in that immediate area: spent percussion caps, musket balls etc. The beauty of this hobby is that it is always OUR call whether to dig or not! Best of luck and...

Happy Hunting!
Blind Squirrel

Blind Squirrel said:
Daddyflea, this is one of the reasons why I remove large trash. At my relic site a few years ago I dug a rusty old can and when I re-scanned the hole I STILL got a good signal (87-89). It tuned out to be this Mexican Plate directly UNDER the old can. I haven't been able to positively identify this find but I'm guessing that it's circa 1830-1848 based on other finds in that immediate area: spent percussion caps, musket balls etc. The beauty of this hobby is that it is always OUR call whether to dig or not! Best of luck and...

Happy Hunting!
Blind Squirrel

Now that is a good find. I am hunting Fair Grounds now that are really nice. I have to be real careful about digging so I do not dig up cans and actually like the overload alerting me to a can. I don't want to miss anything though. I found a Buckle that I thought was Civil War a few years ago and this area is not known for Civil War relics. Someone graciously pointed out the differences and it turned out to be Spanish American War buckle.

Sorry but I could not find the picture

Blind Squirrel said:
The beauty of this hobby is that it is always OUR call whether to dig or not! Best of luck and...

Happy Hunting!
Blind Squirrel
And it is always OUR call whether to run "too hot" or not. What is too hot for the goose may not be too hot for the gander. I had an experienced but apparently hard of hearing detectorist tell me my threshold was set too low. I heard the continuous threshold sound fine. Apparently he could not. So that is another variable to contend with - our relative deafness. I shudder when I hear someone proclaims something is "too hot" or "too high/low", or whatever when we well know that we have our reasons for our settings to match what we want to hear from the machine.

Earth fisher said:
Blind Squirrel said:
The beauty of this hobby is that it is always OUR call whether to dig or not! Best of luck and...

Happy Hunting!
Blind Squirrel
And it is always OUR call whether to run "too hot" or not. What is too hot for the goose may not be too hot for the gander. I had an experienced but apparently hard of hearing detectorist tell me my threshold was set too low. I heard the continuous threshold sound fine. Apparently he could not. So that is another variable to contend with - our relative deafness. I shudder when I hear someone proclaims something is "too hot" or "too high/low", or whatever when we well know that we have our reasons for our settings to match what we want to hear from the machine.

Sensitivity set too high is different than having the threshold set louder.... kinda apples and oranges thing ya know......
but you are right it is your choice as to how you run your machine and setting..... so knock yourself out ..:stars:

I was wondering guys where if coins are five millimeters of size and how somebody would distinguish between a false signal from something in the ground what should we do.? Not a joke for those they hunt romans of course.