Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

V3i vs. VX3

coinhoundNJ

Other than the additional analytics (software) capabilities of the V3i, are there any significant advantages of the V3i over the VX3?

Thanks,
George

The ability of the V3i to have the Vdi tones changed is a big one for me. Then with the VX3 there is the limited filter choice and having to use a work around to run best data. The internals are the same the user interface is not.

V3i and VX3 are like christmas trees. The V3i has a lot more prettier lights but i don't think it can find anymore underneath the tree:) then the VX3 can.

In some cases Yes, but in other cases NO. If you don't need or use the extra options in a situation you can be equal. My mother would get to the store in the same time whether she was driving a corvette or a smart car. :rofl:

If the target is not too deep or the ground is not too mineralized, the V's don't have to be completely optimized and they still find the targets.

To get the deepest targets the right filter is needed, if the 7.5 or 10 filter is best the V3i wins. Then there is best data, I feel the deepest targets can be lost in correlate mode.

I also feel I get more information and help with unmasking by being able to set my ferrous to 5 kHz tone. I can hear the ferrous but it is not annoying. Setting tones can make nickels pop for me. I couldn't do this with the VX3.

I don't use the analysis screens of the V3i but people who do claim an advantage for them.

If you set up the V3i to run like the VX3 there is no advantage. If you use and understand the extra features you do gain an advantage with the V3i. Of course as always a skilled person with a VX3 who knows his machine will find more than a V3i user who doesn't know his. For me and my hunting style I have to give the V3i the edge. [size=large]JHMO[/size] and yours is as good as mine. :clapping:

Rob (IL) said:
In some cases Yes, but in other cases NO. If you don't need or use the extra options in a situation you can be equal. My mother would get to the store in the same time whether she was driving a corvette or a smart car. :rofl:

If the target is not too deep or the ground is not too mineralized, the V's don't have to be completely optimized and they still find the targets.

To get the deepest targets the right filter is needed, if the 7.5 or 10 filter is best the V3i wins. Then there is best data, I feel the deepest targets can be lost in correlate mode.

I also feel I get more information and help with unmasking by being able to set my ferrous to 5 kHz tone. I can hear the ferrous but it is not annoying. Setting tones can make nickels pop for me. I couldn't do this with the VX3.

I don't use the analysis screens of the V3i but people who do claim an advantage for them.

If you set up the V3i to run like the VX3 there is no advantage. If you use and understand the extra features you do gain an advantage with the V3i. Of course as always a skilled person with a VX3 who knows his machine will find more than a V3i user who doesn't know his. For me and my hunting style I have to give the V3i the edge. [size=large]JHMO[/size] and yours is as good as mine. :clapping:

Rob, in my thoughts, you are without question the Spectra V series man. And i would never challenge your knowledge,:) I am sure a experienced V3i user might out hunt me, but he would have his hands full with me and my VX3.:spin:

George, I now have a VX3 and I used a V3i for most of the 2012 detecting season. I did very well with the V3i and I considered it to be as one of the top two or three detectors on the market. I have used every high end detector except for the new 3030 and the XP Deus. I never found the menu or number of adjustments on the V3i to be overwhelming, but I bought the VX3 because I already had the new SEF 10x12 coil. As Rob said, I found the number of filter options to be the only big difference in how I set up the VX3. There were a couple of occasions where the 7.5 filter made a substantial difference. I never used correlate on any of my Whites detectors, but I know people who swear that correlate is a huge improvement in an iron laden site. When Rob mentioned the ablility of the V3i to assign tones to vdi blocks, I was shocked and embarrassed that I did not know or use that feature on my previous V3i. I used to love using a CZ and having it "high tone" on nickels. I am sure it is a valuable feature. All in all, I have found the VX3 to be as deep and accurate in the parks and shools I frequent. It is my opinion that the VX3 needs the Whites 10 inch dd coil or the SEF 10x12 coil for optimum performance. I am digging coins routinely 9 to 10 inches deep with great accuracy with the VX3 and SEF coil. One thing to think of for anyone thinking of buying a V3i or VX3 is the battery option. The VX3 does not come with recharge pak and is somewhat of a battery hog. If you are going to detect for 30 hours a week like I do, you will need the rechargable battery. The system costs 135.00. If you add this and the cost of the 10 inch dd coil, you might as well buy the V3i. Just my opinions. Whites are the best built and best backed detectors and they will not be obsolete in three or four years.

You do have some programs with the VX3 that have correlate and some that have best data. So that is not a problem. The adjustable tones is the deal breaker for me.

These factory programs default to Best Data Mode:
Coin
Coin & Jewelry
Deep Silver
Hi Pro
Demo

These factory programs default to Correlate Mode:
Salt Beach
Relic
Prospect

Also as you stated many people never use the v3i to its full potential because they they don't use all its features.

yeah, tones and Tx boost where pretty much the deal breaker for me. I love my tones and I love having every option possible to deal with EMI/ground conditions.

There is no correct answer. Swing what you have and learn the detector to the best of your ability. Have fun its a hobby and a good one.

We have covered the main differences so I'm closing the thread. We aren't adding anything new to the topic.