Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Valid depth reading on the MXT?

JohninNC

I'm new to the MXT. I was using the 6000 XL PRO which I love, but I wanted a little more depth. I got an MXT a few months ago and read the manual, the engineering report, and 'The MXT Edge' by Jeff Foster. I also looked at a number of help files that have been posted. The MXT works great and I've got several search heads and I am having a problem getting a valid depth reading. On my XL PRO if I pull the trigger on an item of coin size and it says 3 inches, then 3 inches it is. Very reliable, and I have learned to trust it when digging. ( I know larger or smaller items will be off a bit and have learned to trust that also while digging to get an idea of the size of the item I'm after whether large or small if not coin size and not at the depth indicated). I can not seem to get the same confidence with the MXT, particularly with White's standard 9.5 coil, nor with White's 6x10 Eclipse DD or White's 5.3 Eclipse. Do I have to set the gain differently and 'test' this with each coil to get a fairly accurate depth reading? Any help would be greatly appreciated. John

JohninNC said:
I'm new to the MXT. I was using the 6000 XL PRO which I love.
Two of my favorite White's models. Include the XLT in there as a favorite as well.

JohninNC said:
but I wanted a little more depth.
There are times when an XL Pro will provide slightly better depth than an MXT, and other times when my MXT has won out.

JohninNC said:
The MXT works great and I've got several search heads and I am having a problem getting a valid depth reading.
I've found my MXT's to be reasonable consistent, regardless where the Gain is set. The coin-depth reading might be a little off if the search coil is too close to the target when you toggle into the Pinpoint function. I know the coin-depth is off on my XLT with the programs I use, but with either the XLT or MXT I simply learn to associate the read-out with the actual depth from a few recover targets at a site. It's a mental thing.

JohninNC said:
On my XL PRO if I pull the trigger on an item of coin size and it says 3 inches, then 3 inches it is. Very reliable, and I have learned to trust it when digging.
You're probably hunting with the signal Balance set somewhere between 10-o'clock and maybe 1-o'clock. With the 6000 Pro XL & XL Pro I get the most accurate Coin-Depth readings with the Signal Balance set

I've never really checked the accuracy of the depth readings on my MXT as I feel it is the LEAST important piece of info most of the time. If I get a good, solid coin reading I'm going to dig it regardless of depth indication. The exception to this is if I'm on pristine grass in a location that could give the hobby a bad name.. Then if the indication is pretty deep, I may pass rather than disrupt the sod. Overall, I'd say that most of the times I've paid particular attention to the depth, the target turned out to be a bit shallower than indicated, bur as I mentioned, that's not all that important to me.
HH
BB

Thanks guys. John

i don't go by depth readings , but it gives you some idea of depth, just have to get use to machine, hh.