Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Vaq or Tejon

I have always wanted a Vaq I had the chance to get one a few years ago and bought an Outlaw instead. The Outlaw and I didnt really mesh and its been sold. Now I am looking at the Vaq again. Cant buy it yet but will as soon as I get some more gold. I use my finds to pay for all detector purchases.
My question is this. I am planning on using it mostly for park hunting with a CSC coil. I look for jewelry lost while playing sports. For this sort of hunting would the Tejon outperform the Vaq? If so is the advantage worth the price difference? I am looking to step up from my Compadre.

Do they make a CSC for the H.O.T. machines? I don't believe they do. Remember, there are 2 families of coils from Tesoro. One has 4 pins and the other 5. They are not interchangable.

If your not going to be hunting for depth than the Vaquero should be fine, now if your going for the deeper stuff (beyond 5") then I recommend the Tejon. To push the vaquero much past that would mean that you are going to super tune it, doing so and it becomes more an all-metal machine. The Tejon can go the greater depth and maintain its discrimination abilities better than the Vaquero.
Mark

Tejon has the higher frequency so should be better on gold. I haven't tested mine on micro gold and chains. The all metal on the Tejon is harder to use. Pinpoint works nice. I don't know how well the vaquero in all metal hits on micro gold and chains.

Tejon goes deep when balanced in disc.

I was surprised my White's SurfMaster II vlf hit on a very fine gold chain in all metal to 2" in the air.

Rick, N. MI

MarkCZ said:
If your not going to be hunting for depth than the Vaquero should be fine, now if your going for the deeper stuff (beyond 5") then I recommend the Tejon. To push the vaquero much past that would mean that you are going to super tune it, doing so and it becomes more an all-metal machine. The Tejon can go the greater depth and maintain its discrimination abilities better than the Vaquero.
Mark
My vaquero easily goes deeper than 5 inches. If your vaquero doesn't go deeper than 5 inches, than you have a problem with it. I don't super tune it either. Also mine works quite well in a park situation.

kansa54 said:
MarkCZ said:
Mark
My vaquero easily goes deeper than 5 inches. If your vaquero doesn't go deeper than 5 inches, than you have a problem with it. I don't super tune it either. Also mine works quite well in a park situation.
I used the 5" range on the Vaquero because the most common thing that people do with it is to super tune it, yea! it will go even deeper super tuned, but its gets to much of a liken for rusty nails super tuned. I'd say the Vaquero would work on the jewelry as long as your not trying to reach the depth that requires it to be super tuned.
With the Vaquero I had I started off trying to hunt coins in the 8" range in our city park, that didn't work at all, every small piece of Iron would set it off, I had it super tuned it was just an Iron magnet. That's when I realized I had the wrong detector and traded it off for a Tejon.
Another thing is your soil, in our park the Vaquero couldn't make the 8" range (8" of dirt) without super tuning it, other places it may do better.

Mark

They did make a CSC for the hot detectors. You can still find them occasionally. Thanks for the advise.